"Should women join the indian armed forces??"

49 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
People out there.... therz so much in news...these days about tht suicide case...then the infamous anjali bhagat case...tht i felt, atleast i should start of this thread.... i'll post in my views from personal experience... i'll put fwd d ...
Page 1 of 5
officer Says
Whether or not women join the armed forces or whether or not they should serve on the front line surely is a matter of public policy, army policy and necessity in the end.Deciding on whether it is right...........

Dear sir/mam,

That was a very rigorous analysis of the issue of our discourse. A big thank you for n insight from much more experienced people...

I beg to differ on some aspects...you see in a few cases ,the indian culture comes into play. Refer ur stat-" Indian women..especially good looking....."
yup,of course they are a bit of distraction but moral??
No way,in fact they are taken as Moral boosters by us...In d Indian Armed forces, generally speaking,Women are treated with a lot of respect(one of the chief reasons for the male colleagues to feel jealous), unless they have a proclivity to shirk it out.

Leaving this,i would say you have construed all this in a very mature,experienced and objective manner.Once again,thanx fo the input
Me @:www.rajatmishra.co.in; "He knows not his own strength, who hath not met adversity- Ben Johnson"
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Whether or not women join the armed forces or whether or not they should serve on the front line surely is a matter of public policy, army policy and necessity in the end.

Deciding on whether it is right or in the best interests of the armed forces cannot be measured by individual acts of suicide or complaints of poor treatment. After all the armed forces is serious business. Is there such a thing as equality in the armed forces? should there be such a thing as equality?

The armed forces of any nation is a structured entity consisting of a heirarchical structure. Those at the top assume control and power either through earning it, through a combination of skills and intellect. There may be equal opportunity to ascend that structure if you consider a soldiers logic of fairness. These are not civilians. They are combatants or potential combatants and are trained to be of a different mind set.

There are some dangers undoubtedly with women in combat roles. In an extreme situation it is the kind of humiliation they are likely to suffer that makes them vulnerable regardless of what the Geneva convention says. Rape and sexual depravity are just two of the threats they face. And from a psychological perspective these are two powerful tools the enemy has at their disposal when interrogating or questioning a woman combatant to whom these are powerrful incentives when considering her options.

In order to be toughened to be psychologically of a standard that can endure the punishments an enemy can dish out, women and me have to be able to endure the 'ragging' or other forms of humiliation dished out amongst 'friends'.

Women, especially good looking Indian women amongst a horny set of macho soldiers are a distraction and thats bad for morale.

I would be very interested to hear from serving Indian women or ex women officers or rank and file from the Indian armed forces as to the types of harrassment they endure.

In the final analysis it must be remembered that regarldess of civilian notions of fairness, the reality of conflict and its outcomes means that bombs, warring sides do not discriminate when at war. If you fear death don't go to war, if you fear capture and depravation don't join the army. If you want fair play and the Geneva convention remember it has been violated more often than recognised for its observance.

What i meant is dat no job is safe~if a woman wants to join the army~this aspect of 'exploitation' shouldnt deter her.

@Uptown:Don't you think you are taking a bit too extremist stand on this...that women are not safe at home and then that gives them a right to be part of the army???
I'd say its more of a right when you are a FIT(an excuse for me not to join) citizen of the country.....

Well.each and every job has its pros and cons...when it comes to women being exploited in army,when a woman isnt even safe at her home...then no place can be safe for her....so y shudnt they join the Indian Army?

Oops....
mia culpa...dudess....i thought tht all of you r deep into hibernation
n one fine day u'll put forward your side of d story... as soon as A lady(ok...girl..if u say) feels tht she has n inclination for army,before joinin d academies she should know d "Off the record" work reqmts from another lady offr.

You said it buddy 😃

And when we have strong supporters in Rmbt, Kamikaze, Ramit, Thetanx, Solid_Snake (Gosh! Never in my wildest dreams I'D imagined I would address somebody as solid_snake ....no offence I quite like it 😃 ), Abhishek, Great_II & Namrata, who can dare stop us.
Thanx all ! 😃

The point I want to make is, women, like men, are educated ...
My appeal to the Army Before playing God and passing judgment aazma ke to dekhlo
Women are ready for the acid test are u ready for us?
Ah!! . FYI this dudeis a dudess

Oops....
mia culpa...dudess....i thought tht all of you r deep into hibernation
n one fine day u'll put forward your side of d story...
newayz... @espoir and @namrata,
touche...good point...
D only way to know about life in d army...is thru one on d other side...
I think as soon as A lady(ok...girl..if u say) feels tht
she has n inclination for army,before joinin d
academies she should know d "Off the record" work reqmts
from another lady offr.
Newayz all of u must've already become perspicacious enough to advice ur colleagues
wanting to join ...ciao then
Me @:www.rajatmishra.co.in; "He knows not his own strength, who hath not met adversity- Ben Johnson"

well...i completely agree to the two posts above..
women can surely join the armed forces..no hassles with that..but they should be prepared for what comes after that..as in they might not be able to give that much to their family life as much as a hosewife or so...but then u gotta prioritize in life..dats the crux..women too go thro' the same physical training as men do..and then there'z no reason why anythin shuld prevent them from it..if u have it in you, then go for it..!but then u really have to make sure that this is what you wanna be,you wanna do..and then aim to achieve that despite all odds..coz once you achieve what u wanted too,then only u become satisfied in your life, u feel that ure life has a worth and a meaning for yourself..!
and the issue of the male ego, then i guess those men should get a break, realise tht the women commanding them is not any xyz person, but a senior whose orders have to be followed, be it a he or a she...those men have to learn to put their ego aside and be professionals..(i know its diff. for guys to put their MALE EGO side pe...but this is where they learn.. )....
so on the whole, there'z no reason why a female cant be in the armed forces or any other male-dominated job,they just have to be prepared for what it takes to be there and to stay there..!

My point is, Women shud b crystal clear in their mind that if they r joinin d army,there will b lot of physical costraints...social constraints...fullfilling their famillyz reqmts won't b easy..there'll b times when u need 2 b home...but u just might not!!!

Thanks Rajat, for appreciating my views you've made some valid points in your posts as well.:)
I strongly believe if an individual's career choice is not well researched. And is based purely on some romantic notion or frivolous peripherals of the job, then that individual is heading for a disappointing career graph.
I'm using the following examples as analogies to explain my point better.
Assuming individual A is an MBA aspirant. Whose sole intension to get thru a B School is to fulfill his dreams
a) to work in America and
b) attain his desired position.both professionally & socially.
Without comprehending how (amongst other things) stressful, ruthless, demanding, competitive & selfish Corporate life can be.
Whereas, individual B, who also is an MBA aspirant, bases his decision on in depth job research and self analysis about
a)how passionate he is about the job,
b)his skills,
c)aim,
d)intention etc.
Now both are intelligent and hardworking and get thru the same B School. Later, manage to land a similar job profile. Yet, who would have a successful professional and personal life 10yrs down the line is a no brainer.
B chose the career not a job. Hence effortlessly performed well n in no time acquired an "enviable" social standing and realized all his dreams. Whereas, our friend A was a life long cribber.
The point I want to make is, women, like men, are educated and smart enough to understand that every job comes with a package, comprising of perks and challenges. If they want to join the Army despite it's physical strain, modest pay package and unpredictability. So be it.
I know women who have it in them and want to join the Army. The only deterrent is the restricted opportunities and growth our Army is offering it's LOs
My appeal to the Army Before playing God and passing judgment aazma ke to dekhlo
Women are ready for the acid test are u ready for us?
Ah!! . FYI this dudeis a dudess

come on women.......get inspired by this post and go for it!!!!!!!!!!:grab: