Should one take long leave from work before CAT?

17 Posts  ·  18 Users
About this group
Hi Guys! CAT is the mother of all MBA exams. The working "professionals" :: dont get much time to cover up stuffs . Keepning these two things in mind...should a working "professional" take a long leave (say 2-3 weeks stating either jaundice...
Page 1 of 2

I feel it is ok to take a long leave if you are sure that you are going to benefit from it. A months leave is enough, anything more than that and the chances are that you will end up wasting your time.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi

I finished my B.E. in E&C; from Manipal Institute of Technology,Manipal in 2007 and then joined a IT company.I was dissappointed with the job and also with my performance in CAT 2007.

I believe I need some more focussed preparation for CAT 2008.I left my job with the IT company in Feb 2008,fulfilling all the procedures and paid the bond amount and got my release letter and service certificate.

I prepared for GMAT for a while and took it this month and managed 760/800.
I am preparing for CAT and XAT.
But I do realize that I better take up a job in the meantime.I am confused.Should I concentrate totally on my preparation,do my best and then see what happens?(If I study,I am pretty confident of doing really well) or should I take up a job and study simultaneously??How will the B schools look at my gap??Will it create a very negative impression??
Please advice.

And also,in case I don't take up a job,can I do some courses that will reduce the negative impact of the gap a liitle?If so which courses should I do?.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Just stumbled across the thread and it couldnt refrain from posting my viewpoint:|

I quit my job on the first of August for the exam. Most people suggested taking a long leave, which was not possible. I didnt even get a week's leave when I had an eye operation

Reasons I quit:

1. This is my first attempt at CAT.
2. My quant is pathetic so I need a lot of time to work on it.
3. I could not study after spending close to 14 hrs in office.
4. It is very important for me to take admission this yr itself

So, after thinking a lot for 3 months, I finally put in my papers in August. I have the whole day with me now which means I can spend a considerable amount of time studying.

Disclaimer: These are my views only! And am sure they differ from the views of most people here.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

sorry, duplicate post....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thats a great relief!..Thanks a lot man!! ..atleast now I can ignore my irritating PL .

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Thanks a lot for the respone.....the only thing that worried me was that I heard that you need some recommendations (esp. IIMB mentions it in prospectus) ..God willing if I get a call from IIMB and if my PL tried to settle scores in the reco ...what can I do.......
Is there a good importance to the reco of office in the selection preocess in any B-School?..I need to keep this now as everyone prepares with the want of getting a call :)
Can some one throw a light on the role my company can play in getting things wrong.
Cheers!

recommendations are required only at IIMB. You may take reco from anybody who's willing to speak positive abt u... its not necesaary to get it from ur PL or PM or even from anyone at office... can take it from client, previous boss etc. or even take all the 3 recos from ur college and school etc.. the teachers realise that u may have problems with ur co. so wud not make any issue abt the reco thing...

and since almost everyone manages to get a good reco from somewhere or other, i dont think much weightage is attached to it.

chill yaar, there are a whole lot of people from TCS at IIMB...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Thanks a lot for the respone.....the only thing that worried me was that I heard that you need some recommendations (esp. IIMB mentions it in prospectus) ..God willing if I get a call from IIMB and if my PL tried to settle scores in the reco ...what can I do.......
Is there a good importance to the reco of office in the selection preocess in any B-School?..I need to keep this now as everyone prepares with the want of getting a call :)
Can some one throw a light on the role my company can play in getting things wrong.
Cheers!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I dont think u need to take leaves for CAT...Just be systematic in your prep... and be focussed... that way even an hour a day is enuf...

Believe me... CAT is more about the orientation n focus than just slogging....

And i too agree that u may have to save the leaves for the interviews!

Best of Luck!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Well, I think long leaves do not help, esp when you have stated the reason as malaria, etc since you will be more worried about being caught. I do think a weeks leave before the exam is sufficient so long as you have been preparing for months. the last week's leave will help develop focus and concentration... cheers

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi Guys!
CAT is the mother of all MBA exams. The working "professionals" dont get much time to cover up stuffs . Keepning these two things in mind...should a working "professional" take a long leave (say 2-3 weeks stating either jaundice, maleria etc) before CAT.

Thanks!

Ya u can take few days leave just before the exam & also around Diwali.Remember dont over exert your self.All the best.
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...