Should I go for MBA now?

25 Posts  ·  33 Users
About this group
I am currently doing B.Tech.And I want to do MBA after this. But I am confused if I should take a job for a few years and then go with MBA or go for MBA not itself?People have suggested me to go for some job first but I am not really intereste...
Page 1 of 3

Hi Guys,

I have not been following much of mails to ISB alum group so not sure if a discussion or any action taken by Alum community on the yearly slide of ISB in FT ranking.

Also, as per earlier years mails of Dean, ISB should have been doing well by now.

However, what I hear & witness on the state of affairs at ISB, there seem to be a real need of change of leadership to reinvigorate ISB & take it back to its earlier glory/standards.

If Entrepreneur does not perform, the market punishes. If a leader does not deliver, then stockholders react. If cricketer out of form, then rested. Shouldn't so be with ISB leadership?

Best regards,

Sridev Reply Reply to all Forward

Hi everyone, First and foremost, it is a serious issue which needs to be esca...

Apr 16 (2 days ago)

Hi everyone, First and foremost, it is a serious issue which needs to be esca...

All,

None of us have facts in front of us, and we talk based on hearsay most of the times, but the one truth is that year after year, the school slipping down the rankings. There may/may not be other issues too. We all have varying levels of visibility to what is happening in the school, but I believe that one of the best solutions could be that, (and don't kill me for saying this, this is just an idea), the alum council to have a say/ seat in the managing council. The school has been so open to its students and that has been our USP. It will only enhance our trust in the whole system if we have a say in how the school is run.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, it is unfair to pass judgments without knowing the circumstances or the exact reasons. I wish the alum council were equipped with more information on what's changing in the school and then pass it on to their respective chapters so that speculation can be minimized. That will be a lot more constructive and we can then put pressure back on the administration and hold the relevant people accountable.

Those were my two cents. Comments, ideas, suggestions are welcome.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Atul Verma atul_verma2012@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Hi everyone,First and foremost, it is a serious issue which needs to be escalated to a proper level and desired conclusion.when i was in ISB in 2012 feb-march, i had to literally force the Dean to call a meeting on this issue after pushing for it over 2months.reluctance of Dean to convene this meeting was obvious but he was frank enough to apologize that he hadnt taken the drop in ranking seriously when he saw the seriousness and passion with which students argued.for record sake, nidhi also attended this meeting on behalf of ISB. Before this, jan of 2012 was used up in celebrating and publicising that ISB had become the first B-school in India to get AACSB(or something like this it is called)accreditation whereas the website showed something like few thousand B-schools accredited worldwide.BT rankings were also out and ISB had slipped.to me it seemed the management was trying ro cover up its failure of ranking slip.remember it is ISB's preamble which says that it aims to be a top ranked school and also remember its publicity for 12th ranking a few years earlier.it cant now turn around and say that rankings are unimportant which the Dean unfortunately tried to say initially in that meeting before apologising. I am certain the way forward for alums is to take it to the board who are supposed to supervise the ISB management.i dont expect the management to do anything except brush it aside as in the past.when i was taking up these issues,some of the faculty members told me that they(faculty) were deliberately kept out of decision making bodies and were not adequately represented although they also had a vested interest in taking ISB forward.it appeared to me that the mangement like any other prefers not to be scrutinized and be accountable and it is too much for the likes of anil ambani and others in the board to be too bothered and find things out themselves unless things are brought to their notice by us. Its also too much to expect ex-ISBian employees of ISB to come forward openly. At this point, my suggestion is that some of us should form a core group to take this forward and inform the alums periodically with updates regarding this. Some older alums,those in senior positions such as Raj Kamal of McK or Navneet Sekera of UP Police or Vivek Bhardwaj of Google and many others whom i dont know, should also come out with their valuable suggestions on this.on my part,i am available in mumbai for any discussion etc on the issue at 9969541601 or 022-22020343 and in Hyderabad on 3rd may. Sorry for this impulsive,long mail but with due apologies,let me assure you that the issue is no less important than referring a friend's start-up or house hunting which we also do on this forum.BestAtul Verma

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 16, 2014, at 13:54, "Sameer Bora, Co2007" sameer_bora2007@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Guys

These are *extremely* serious allegations. Off-the-record is one thing, but putting it on writing and sending to all alums is like putting it into public domain.

I suggest that this thread stop immediately before we cover ourselves in more muck.

Here are my suggestions for next action plan:Sridev -- Since you have spoken to many people at ISB, you have the most evidence to tell. Some of it is anecdotal and related to performance. Some of it is related to bribery and collusion. You can spearhead and file a formal complaint. Putting it on alum forum will not lead anywhere.

Please classify your feedback received into 2 categories:- Performance of school- Bribery / Collusion - possible illegality.

For the first, you can arrange a meeting / call with Senate members and/or the Dean. I am sure someone will step in to arrange a meeting. You can coordinate with many of the alums who are currently working with ISB -- Nidhi seems to be the best bet here. If not then let me know, I will personally walk up to the Dean's office this weekend and try and arrange for a meeting with you.For the second, first point of contact would obviously be the Dean again.

If you don't have confidence with the Dean, you need to escalate it to the Board. Again, someone from the Senate can help you reach out to a Board member. I am not sure if the board has an ombudsman kind of role formally identified but they should be equipped to take this complaint from you. Again, keep the two issues delineated.

If you are not able to reach out to any of the stakeholders let me know and I will find the right contacts within ISB or the Board. I am sure

there are many other alums who have deeper contacts with Dean Ajit / Savita / other leaders within ISB.

Let's not throw any more allegations of this nature into a public forum.

boraxx@gmail.com

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Rishabh Sinha rishabh_sinha2013@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Multiple people have been referring to appropriate forum, given the gravity of matter. The fact of matter is no one is suggesting an appropriate forum. If alum mail group is not appropriate to raise any concern then what should be?

Also I largely agree with Shankar and other people. There has been a serious threat and its more so as internal people working there are not very happy with the way things are been driven right now.

RegardsRishabh

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Rajeev Chari rajeev_chari2007@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

I agree. Not talking about it or terming it as ludicrous does not make it go away for sure. It needs to be discussed. But we need perspectives from all angles. Best

Rajeev

On 16 Apr 2014 12:20, "Prashant Pawar" prashant_pawar2009@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

I think this does warrant serious attention. There are good no. of ISB alums working in ISB...and who probably are closer to day to day functioning and issues. Would be good if they provide some perspective.On Apr 16, 2014 11:56 AM, "SHANKARA NAIR" shankara_nair2008@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have been travelling most of last week so could not keep up on the conversation.

I do understand the seriousness of my claim that it is time there was a change in leadership team at ISB.

I am very close to ISB not only as Alum but also as vendor. ISB is my client for campus automation solution & I keep interacting with members of staff, faculty, & leadership team.

Never before have I seen the level demotivation that is privalent in ISB today.

Off the record, there are serious allegations by an ex-dean & an ex-director on coterie at highest level and, more seriously, that money changed hands in Mohali project. Some members of staff alluded to it in our conversation though were not open to speak on it.

I am not sure how true these allegations are however coming from ex-director & ex-dean who have been on highest regard in ISB, I would give serious thought to it.

My biggest concern is, if the slide is not arrested, then in a few years time we should find ISB among ICFAI, IIPMs of the world with a history of past glory.

Along with it will go down our pride & collective denial to accept the facts and blame external factors.

Folks, of all the stakeholders of ISB, Alums will be the biggest loosers if ISB brand goes down. For all others ISB is organization where they work or in association as per designation.

They can always move over to next good opportunity, done & dusted.

Not so for an Alum, we are bound for a lifetime. We have to be the most interested & concerned on every down-step of ISB.

You know what, I see a lot of similarities in UPA leading our country & current leadership of ISB.

Both have you believe that external factors are reason for the downfall & both rely on past performance & record to justify future continuity.

Makes me wonder why Sehwag & Gambhir not in team today. Great past performance right?

With all due respects to the current leadership team, my whole point is.

The team has lost it "mojo". There is no passion to take ISB to the next level.

Best regards,Sridev

On Sunday, April 13, 2014, anil_gm@hotmail.com> wrote:

Seriously!!Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Puneet Sakhuja puneet_sakhuja2008@pgp.isb.edu> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:13:57 +0530To: Gauri Guptagauri_gupta2013@pgp.isb.edu>Cc: Amit Guptaamit_gupta2009@pgp.isb.edu>; Pradyot Anand, (Co 2008)Pradyot_Anand2008@pgp.isb.edu>; SHANKARA NAIRshankara_nair2008@pgp.isb.edu>; Sameer Bora Co2007sameer_bora2007@pgp.isb.edu>; Alumnialumni@pgp.isb.edu>; Ramakant Sharmaramakant_sharma2012@pgp.isb.edu>; Alumni RelationsAlumni_Relations@isb.edu>; Aakash Shahaakash_shah2006@pgp.isb.edu>; Abhinay Vermaabhinay_verma2008@pgp.isb.edu>; Ravi Mittalravi_mittal2013@pgp.isb.edu>Subject: Re: Change of leadership needed at ISB?

ISB was inaugrated by Sri Atal B Vajpayee.if BJP gets to power, the school should use this opportunity to get all these done.Regards,Puneet Sakhuja

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Gauri Gupta gauri_gupta2013@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Abhinay, Pradyot & Amit - thanks so much for emphasising this point. This is what I know:

The accreditation agencies like WES (which recognise our credentials) basically depend on the standing these institutes have in their own country. I used WES while getting my bachelor degree credit evaluation and they only care about institutes that are validated by the country they are in. Thankfully, mine was DU. But I struggled even then because some lesser known college degrees ended up getting a better evaluation than mine, because WES thought that way. My point being, it is very subjective.

But again, it is primarily dependent on recognition by the country's own body. So Pradyot, yes, that's exactly the issue. Hence, recognition by AACSB won't make us valid, till AICTE or UGC agree. And it seems getting those accreditations for ISB is tough because of our one year course, independence on course content etc, among others.

I personally feel getting recognised will change things for us in more ways than we currently understand. Good ways of course 😃 which makes it so crucial. But it seems tough to get.

Gauri

Sent from my iPhone

On 11-Apr-2014, at 4:28, Amit Gupta amit_gupta2009@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Pradyot - Couldn't agree more with you!On Apr 10, 2014 5:39 AM, "Pradyot Anand (Co 2008)" Pradyot_Anand2008@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Does anyone know what is the reason(s) why ISB certificate is not recognized by US, Canada, UK etc. despite being AACSB accredited? Is it because ISB is not recognized by AICTE - the national body? Are there any other factors?

Are there work arounds to this? What is the status of other non-AICTE recognized but good programs - IIMA PGPX, IIM PGDBM etc. - what do they do?

I agree that getting an ISB certificate internationally acceptable is a high(est) priority issue and it would be great if Alum Relations can respond on what the current issues are and what is being done about them.

--

Best Regards,

Pradyot

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this mail are strictly my personal opinions and not those of any organization/institution I am a part of, nor are made in any official capacity of such organization/institution unless expressly stated otherwise.

On 10 April 2014 14:55, Abhinay Verma abhinay_verma2008@pgp.isb.edu> wrote:

Dear Alums,

While drop in FT rankings don't bother me, I am quite concerned about the brand dilution because of the ever increasing batch size and the placement challenges that come with such a large class and the fact that the ISB PGP certificate is still not recognized by US, Canada and UK authorities to name a few.

Rather than focus on rankings, I would prefer if the school management explores options to rid ourselves of this serious handicap. For all the great learning the faculty and the school provides, if the ISB certificate is seen as of no value during immigration and visa processing etc., I think we should lower our perception about the brand value.

--

Regards,PI

Prashant Ivaturi (PI), GSB President, Co2012, Cell: +91 9008027798 Reply Reply to all Forward

Akshat TrivediI was associated with ISB for a few months post graduation, saw the internal ...

Apr 16 (2 days ago)

I was associated with ISB for a few months post graduation, saw the internal ...

SHANKARA NAIRTo respond to Divyanshu about my relationship with ISB as a vendor, We are gr...

Apr 16 (2 days ago)

To respond to Divyanshu about my relationship with ISB as a vendor, We are gr...

Aditya Narain ManglaShankara, Thanks a ton for raising this issue! I'm sure many, many among us f...

Apr 17 (1 day ago)

Shankara, Thanks a ton for raising this issue! I'm sure many, many among us f...

rohan_lepps2008@pgp.isb.edu

11:02 PM (2 hours ago)

to Aditya, SHANKARA, alumni

I am not one to usually get involved in debates on this forum, however a few days back I had drafted a long mail regarding the topic, but decided not to send it out as I thought the discussion strayed way off and then came to its natural death... obviously not.

With due respect to those that ha‎ve strong views in support of this discussion, I would like to ask one real simple question:

1) What have you done for ISB? Have you given one day of your year to really promote the ISB brand, interact with students (not talking about the pre placement ppt your companies sent you down for), for that matter get involve with admissions, or get involve with corporate interaction to ensure quality jobs or ELPs.

I can't think of one organisation that doesn't have its own kinks. This is beginning to sound like the frivolous discussion we may have had over a coffee or smoke break criticising the management on how inefficiently they run the business, without really knowing the entire picture.

Yes, our views should be heard, and possibly are being followed through this ridiculous thread of emails. It is shameful that we ask for heads to roll, when the school is open for you to come down anytime and have a open chat with the dean himself (and talking from personal experience, he sure is one of the easiest dean's to talk to).‎

I think ISB has come a long way in a short time. I am sure what concerns us also concerns them. We have had our glory moments, and we have had our setbacks.‎There are harsh realities of running every business (like it or not, ISB apart from being a highly reputable school, it is also a business). Keeping that in mind, our school has taken cognisance of matters that might concern us and as far as possible attempted to level things out.

I don't think the new breed of alumni are any better or worse than we were... by the way, correct me if I am wrong, isn't some of the weightage as far as the ranking is concerned is based on how far we, the alumni, have come... are we blaming the school for that as well (maybe, considering whilst we were at school, we treated it as a glorified placement agency and blamed it for not being able to score a decent job).

ISB gave us a world class education, a strong alumni network, a tag (proud or not, most of us flaunt it when to our advantage... and personally I think it sure is a great brand atleast domestically (‎and that's a start... I can think of many other schools ahead of us in the rankings that have that presence internationally that some of us blame ISB for)). Some of the HR guys/girls on this group could possible educate me on how much weightage the school carries versus what you have achieved in the years after graduation?

So guys & girls, let's refrain from being so overly critical of our school and lets start working for it. We are the brand ambassadors... we are primarily responsible for how the world perceives ISB. The school is doing its bit... your turn now.‎

So to end on a lighter note... love, peace and Oh So Stoned!

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Sent: Thursday 17 April 2014 2:55 AM

To: SHANKARA NAIR

Cc: alumni@pgp.isb.edu

Subject: Re: Change of leadership needed at ISB?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am about to complete a dual degree course (b.tech+m.tech) in aerospace n avionics.Have already appeared for CAT twice without any coaching.Scores were 86(QA-85,VA-85,2012....0 preparation) & 88(QA-97,VA-51,2013.....prepared quant). Unable to make a decision if I should drop a year and have coaching this year.Or should I opt for job ? In the end I would surely go for MBA from a reputed instt dts for sure.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks..!! 😃

MDI (2015-17)
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear friend,
I think you should go for higher education i.e of MBA. If Once you join the job, you will never concentrate on studies so easily ,this is my point of view.
There are lot of universities which are providing the theoretical as well as practical knowledge to the students.If you need more information about the admission procedure and fee structure for the MBA, then check out the websites of these universities given below:-BHU , BITS , XLRI , LOVELY PROFESSIONAL UNIVERSITY , AMITY UNIVERSITY....etc...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@B.V.RAVINDRAPRASADREDDY

Good afternoon to all,

My name is B.V.RAVINDRA PRASAD REDDY ,completed b.tech in 2012 in Electronics and Communication Engineering from JNTU - Hyderabad with 73.78%. I have completed my SSC (X class)in 2004 with 84.50% and joined in Intermediate in BIOLOGY - PHYSICS - CHEMISTRY (Bi.P.C) stream and completed it with 79.50 % in the year 2006.

Later I joined in Bachelor of science (B.Sc)in Biochemistry , chemistry , botany specialization .Due to my financial conditions at that time,after the completion of my first year, I discontinued it and joined in a coaching program to change to MATHS -PHYSICS -CHEMISTRY (M.P.C). I took maths exams of all 4 papers (2 from 1st year and 2 from 2nd year) [ The persons who completed Bi.P.C in Intermediate can join in engineering courses by clearing all 4 mathematics exams in ANDHRA PRADESH] in a single shot and cleared with 75% and joined in Engineering in the year 2008. So I have 2 years of gap between 2006-2008 .After completion of my B.tech in 2012 and I have been searching for a job till today but I could not get a job .One more year got down.

With this totally I have 3 years of gap during my academics. Is that become any negative for my CAT exam?I want to take CAT this year.

Please provide answers for this post whether I proceed my CAT preparation or not? I am requesting you all please answer this .Because I am unable to decide whether to take the exam or not?

@B.V.RAVINDRAPRASADREDDY You could take CAT and get a good percentile. But please note that a gap of three years is a negative and u should really come across as a strong candidate otherwise and justify the gap. Why dont you explore possibiity of some other course ( MS) preferably abroad. PM me incase you have further queries.

Mentorstone www.mentorstone.com
2 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Good afternoon to all,

My name is B.V.RAVINDRA PRASAD REDDY ,completed b.tech in 2012 in Electronics and Communication Engineering from JNTU - Hyderabad with 73.78%. I have completed my SSC (X class)in 2004 with 84.50% and joined in Intermediate in BIOLOGY - PHYSICS - CHEMISTRY (Bi.P.C) stream and completed it with 79.50 % in the year 2006.

Later I joined in Bachelor of science (B.Sc)in Biochemistry , chemistry , botany specialization .Due to my financial conditions at that time,after the completion of my first year, I discontinued it and joined in a coaching program to change to MATHS -PHYSICS -CHEMISTRY (M.P.C). I took maths exams of all 4 papers (2 from 1st year and 2 from 2nd year) [ The persons who completed Bi.P.C in Intermediate can join in engineering courses by clearing all 4 mathematics exams in ANDHRA PRADESH] in a single shot and cleared with 75% and joined in Engineering in the year 2008. So I have 2 years of gap between 2006-2008 .After completion of my B.tech in 2012 and I have been searching for a job till today but I could not get a job .One more year got down.

With this totally I have 3 years of gap during my academics. Is that become any negative for my CAT exam?I want to take CAT this year.

Please provide answers for this post whether I proceed my CAT preparation or not? I am requesting you all please answer this .Because I am unable to decide whether to take the exam or not?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@harihardas

I am BE 2010 passout. I am planning to take CAT 2013 paper. I have started preparing for it on a serious note. But now I am confused whether it's too late for me to switch to MBA; do the premimum colleges give less importance to 3+ experiened guys? By the time I go for interviews (supposing I can bell the CAT) it will be 4 years after college. Is that too big a gap to lower chances of me getting into a B-School?

@harihardas Dear Harihardas, higher experience will only increase your chance at B-schools. Please check IIML's previous batch experience report on their website- u'll be amazed by avg exp. In fact, Indian B Schools have started realising importance of work ex prior to MBA. However, please do note that corporates may take time to adapt to this change that IIMs are initiating..you may be placed equal to a fresher at the time of placements. I do not wish to generalise, you could certainly ask for a better profile and who knows u may get one! Why do you want to limit urself to CAT? Why not take GMAT and get admitted abroad..this will open world of international opportunities for u .

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Pearson

I am currently doing B.Tech.

And I want to do MBA after this. But I am confused if I should take a job for a few years and then go with MBA or go for MBA not itself?

People have suggested me to go for some job first but I am not really interested to do job now.

But if having experience is very very important for MBA then I can go for a job.

I cannot decide between job and MBA.

If I go for job, what duration would be ideal?

Thanks

€‹Dear @Pearson , Your decision on MBA vs. Job depends on your priorities and your ambition. Most univs expect 4-5 years of experiece for MBA which is logical as you can relate ur work exp with classes.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am BE 2010 passout. I am planning to take CAT 2013 paper. I have started preparing for it on a serious note. But now I am confused whether it's too late for me to switch to MBA; do the premimum colleges give less importance to 3+ experiened guys? By the time I go for interviews (supposing I can bell the CAT) it will be 4 years after college. Is that too big a gap to lower chances of me getting into a B-School?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I'm currently a final year student in the BBA program at Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies. I want to do an MBA after this. I want to know how the acceptability for a BBA graduate from such an institute is? I'm keen to do an MBA immediately after my BBA course in one of the better 2 year courses in the country including IIMs, XLRI, SP Jain, or NMIMS etc.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...