Should I even try for an MBA?

44 Posts  ·  14 Users
About this group
I scored 90% in my 10th and 94% in my 12th exams. I got into a top college. I got placed in infosys. However, by this time (from my 2nd year) there were issues at home and I had to start a part time business to generate income while studying. As a...
Page 1 of 5

@SMS87 bro,failure is a part of life...ur are vey lucky that u failed,many ppl don't even try what u did...the thing is to bounce back, learn from your failure,rather than giving in...even today's greats have failed..Remember,a diamond was a piece of coal once??

PS:I planned for an MBA,gave CAT and almost all other exams this year.. gave interviews n all..to be frank,I had no definite answer to the why MBA part myself,I mean I wasn't able to answer that to myself,forget the interviewers...I thought about it for long,and now planning to take a road seldom travelled.:)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Psychodementia Can you recommend any good professional help on this? I did try quite a few people here locally. But they are either HR/recruitment guys, educational consultants (ppl who try to sell overseas universities to me) or something similar. Can't find a genuine career consultant.

I live in Chennai btw. Willing to talk to someone in other cities as well if that is needed.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@SMS87

I really think you should seek advice from a professional. Here are my 2 cents:

1. By definition, 99% of the population is not a "topper". So that's perfectly fine. Don't put this pressure on yourself that you want to meet these "high" standards set by yourself. Also, what is your definition of "topper"? Did you top IIT-JEE? No! You can always be dissatisfied with what you have done. Or be happy with what you have. Please don't chase this mirage. All your life you will feel inadequate.

2. I did read your background but the problem is not where you come from - the problem is where you want to go 😃 Please don't take me wrong but no one if "entitled" anything in life. So what you had a great career path (if that definition is joining Infosys as a programmer which in IMHO is not a "great" career path)? How does that make things harder for you? You cannot extrapolate your past into the future. Let your past be. Focus on the future.

3. Why is your career and life "ruined"? You are sounding like someone victimized by circumstances - certainly not the qualities of a leader. You will have to bounce back. There is really no option. You did your own business (lucky you!) but were not very fortunate. But I am sure you have earned tons of experience that no Bschool in the world can teach you.

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Psychodementia Not sure if you know about my story (background). I was a topper and had a great career path set ahead for me. But I took a risk (my own business) that did not pay off and right now, my career and life is ruined. I am feeling very depressed and just looking for a way to get my career back on track.

What is your suggestion?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@SMS87

1. Sure try for both CAT and GMAT. I don't think there will be a problem. At the end of the day placements are also about (a) luck (b) personality (c) ability to get through using your own contacts. But yes at 30 you will face a challenge since most people who come to recruit for the PGP course are coming from younger (and cheaper) hires :)

2. A very subjective question and only you can answer it. On one end of the spectrum you have the top schools and the other end your chances of getting in. You want to make sure you get into the highest possible school you can get in with your profile. Also the scholarships for high GMAT scores are available in schools ranked 15-50 as well.

Arun
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Psychodementia

Do you think trying for a 2 year CAT program is not a good idea now? I will be about 30 when I am graduating and sit for placements. I might have a lot of difficulties getting a job when I sit for placements. right?

I heard I might get a scholarship when I get a very high GMAT score. I might also get a stipend. But there are only going to be from tier 2 or 3 colleges. These would be in the top 50-70 ranking schools. Are they worth it? Since there is no concept of placements for overseas MBA schools, is there a point in doing an MBA in these schools?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@SMS87 I am replying since you requested my advice through PM.

Here are the things I would consider if I were you:

1. You had bad undergrad acads - so do hundreds and thousands of MBA aspirants each year. Once you have some "real life" experience from the school of hardknocks it will matter less than you think. Plus you can always get an obscenely high GMAT score to prove to the admissions committee that you can handle the course load of a demanding MBA program. Plus what else can you do - blame the rest of your career because you did your undergrad with arrears? Life isn't as harsh as you make it out to be.

2. I find it a bit illogical that you are worrying about stuff like your wedding expense and your kid's expense. If you don't have the money you will live within your means. If Akash Ambani asks Mukesh for a trip to Vegas for his birthday he would get one. If I had asked me dad for one he would have slapped me 😛 So everyone lives within his/her means. I found this line of argument to be very juvenile.

3. Why do you think you will get a low salary after doing an MBA from a good school? I assume the starting salary might depend on a lot of factors but you are certainly not a "fresher" since you would have 5+ years experience of business + good engineering degree + mba degree. What is more important is that you have a vision for your career - what is the area you want to specialize in and where do you see yourself 3-5 years down the line.

4. You typically will get a loan to do an MBA - if you get a scholarship then great. But be prepared to take a hefty loan. Once you start earning you will surely be able to pay back in a few years time. But also remember that MBA is a calculated risk at the end of the day. So if you see (based on the point #3 above) that you can reach your career goals without an MBA then consider that as well.

Net-net I think you should meet a career counselor in your city who can consult you on your options. You seem a bit lost and are assuming problems to be a of a bigger proportion than they actually are.

Arun
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

different for each iim ... ahmedabad has 95 overall and 90+ in both sections .... along with it they have 81+ in 10th 12th and graduation each. but thats just for reference if you have 90percentile plus and 85 percentile plus in each section you qualify for shortlisting by iim indore..after that they have 35 percent weightage to 10 and 12th (you are good here if not amongst the best) and 30 percent weightage to graduation marks. (you're ok here) for giving out calls. plus they have a mumbai campus too.. if you get anywhere around 95 youre good to go.. shillong calls everyone who has more than 95 percentile and 81+ in 10th and 12th... dunn know about the others .. check their respetive websites or insideiim.com for their individual selection process explained

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@nachiketa23 If work experience is important in getting calls then I might have a chance. But what is the minimum cut offs?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

brother they ask for your scores in all years separate and overall from semesters 1-8 ... and work experience is important in getting calls but only if you clear the minimum cut offs..

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...