Should I consider a second MBA?

26 Posts  ·  189 Users
About this group
Hi I am an engineer from IIT and MBA from MDI,Gurgaon. I have close to 6 years of FMCGs sales and mktg experience. I am confused on the careeroptions post a second MBA from a top rung B-Scool in US. Pls suggest.
Page 1 of 3

I am an enigeer from IIEST in 2014 and an MBA from IIM Ranchi in 2018. Have a total of 3 years of work ex. Post my MBA, I have been working in Sales. However, I wish to move into consulting, preferrably abroad. Does a second MBA from abroad help my cause? Also, which institutes abroad should I be targeting?

Thanks a ton in advance.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Puys,

I'm certainly not new to this website, was a regular before my previous MBA... 😛
I did my MBA from a Tier II institute and got into a very respected well known US based IT company. But then, I now intend to do another MBA from US after another 2 years of work-ex (a total of 3.5 years of work ex in total). I just want to know if doing another MBA is fairly acceptable in the US and if universities wont look down upon me. In fact for now i just want to know if it is even possible.
If yes, then which universities would be the best to go to in order to do justice to the risk I'll be taking (I hope you get what I'm trying to say here).
Would be really grateful if anyone can help. Thanks.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Have you given a thought to going for a specialized Masters Program (in your domain of interest)? I had an MBA from one of the IITs and after working for few years post my MBA, I figured out that I don't want to be in IT anymore (even though I was in Global Pre Sales and Transition, that provided me opportunities to visit US and Europe). My experience to that point was in Supply Chain solutions domain and that was my area of interest as well so I decided to pursue a Masters in SCM in USA. Considering the economic scenario in US, I decided to apply only to the top schools for better employment prospects. I got an admit in a SCM Masters program in a top ten school and post graduation, I was able to switch my Industry (Moved to manufacturing), Function (moved to core SCM) and of course Geography (currently in US). I believe there may not be a definite answer to your scenario, it all depends on what kind of career options you want to pursue and then figure out how your second MBA fits in that plan and whether a specialized masters will suffice.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi, I have an MBA from not-so-great institute. I have a total work experience of 5.3 years in Automotive/Automotive consulting. My profiles are a bit mixed up. I am considering second MBA. I wanted to know whether it makes sense going for 2nd MBA from institues like ISB?

Want to touch the sky with glory
2 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi

I am an MBA from IITD with a B.Tech in CS from IGIT, Delhi. I have 5+ yrs of exp in Telecom & Media. I am planning to go for second MBA from one of top 25 global b-Schools.

I recently took my GMAT & scored 690 (Q48 V36). I was planning to apply to INSEAD, Stanford, Booth and Stern. But many of my friends have discouraged me to apply considering my low score.

Now I am confused, whether to apply to the above schools or not.

Can anyone suggest.

3 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
zat
@zat  ·  0 karma

Hi!

I am planning to go for a Second MBA and have registered to appear for the GMAT in Oct '13. However, I have a confusion which has been bothering me since the day I have started contemplating a second MBA.

My profile:
Age - 28yrs
B.Tech (Electronics & Communication) - 56%
PGDM from NIASoM - CGPA 6.7/10
Work Experience: 3+ Years in Financial Services

Although my PGDM grades are not that bad, my B.Tech percentage is killing me and I keep thinking whether I have a chance of getting into a decent B-School if not among the top ones.
There has been a constant improvement in my credentials after my engineering. So I wanted to know whether the Adcom will consider my performance in PGDM also while evaluating my profile and whether the PGDM and Work Ex can compensate for my low scores in graduation.
I would really appreciate if someone can help clear this confusion.

P.S. I know that GMAT score counts too but I will only be able to provide that in October after I appear for the test. As of now I am scoring between 650-700 on an average on practice tests and I still have almost 2 months to improve. Just wanted to clear the confusion in advance so that I can prepare for the GMAT with a peaceful mind.
1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My two bits. Its not easy recruiting in US without an American degree. and it makes limited sense to go back yo India after an American MBA. so figure out where you want to be !

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Similar dilemma. Have an MBA from FMS Delhi. Corporate banking work ex in an MNC bank for 3 years. 720 GMAT. CFA L3 candidate and contemplating a second MBA. Any advice ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am a final yea B.Tech student of DCE, aiming for CAT '11.
My question to the revered seniors is : How exactly does one explain (in our essays) , the reason for a second MBA? I am sure this question will be asked to us again and again. Potential employers will also ask this question (employers after the 2nd MBA). Doesn't this question become more difficult if the first MBA was from colleges like IIM, MDI etc.? Can one be honest up-front and say "immigration was my motive"?

I know I sound like a big mouth, asking this when I'm not yet a graduate :), but was too curious to wait for 4 years more....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello,

Accidentally started another thread, cause I couldn't find this one previously. I would appreciate some advice from anyone who is aware of candidates who have pursued a second MBA at a top 5 US B school, after completing a top MBA in India. I know such there are few such candidates out there, which is why I'm not sure how much information is out there. Anyhow, I am looking to learn about what profiles are required and how the Bschool looks upon such candidates, what sort of work ex helps the best, and any gyaan that can help me understand the process better.

A little bit about me -

I have an MBA from one of the top IIMs, and have cumulative work experience of about 2 and a half years prior to and following my MBA, including internships (across US, Europe, India) in consulting and marketing. I am seeking to apply either end of this year or the next, so I'll have at least about 3.5 years of total work ex by the time of joining the program. Also I have a 760 on my GMAT.

The most obvious question is why I'm seeking a second MBA, and while I can list the usual reasons of wanting to relocate to the US or looking at breaking into PE/VC or management consulting...I guess its mostly a personal decision, and since I'm 25 at present and single, I think I'm young enough to consider it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...