Should I apply to cornell?

6 Posts  ·  4 Users
About this group
Hi Friends, I am in the process of shortlisting B-schools for Fall, 2007 MBA program, and considering cornell as one of the options. My Profile: GMAT: 710 Work Ex: 5.5 Years (2 Years of International work-ex) Post MBA Goal: Want to move...
Page 1 of 1
Hi Friends,
I am in the process of shortlisting B-schools for Fall, 2007 MBA program, and considering cornell as one of the options.

My Profile: GMAT: 710
Work Ex: 5.5 Years (2 Years of International work-ex)
Post MBA Goal: Want to move to Pharmaceutics/Biotech industry.
Community service: associated with biggest hospital in town.

Could neone plaese tell me if cornell has strong presence in healthcare sector. I tried to find info from their website but couldn't get much info.

Any idea, if cornell can be a safe school for me? The location of cornell could be a strong point.

Thanks
Arun

Look up the recruitment stats of schools and find out where companies from the pharma/biotech sector recruit. For example where Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer etc recruit.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Thanks baccardisprite for your prompt reply.

Thanks Dude. Your advice is certainly very helpful. I am applying to Duke but not to Wharton, MIT (don't feel any wow factor in my profile to be admitted by these schools...:(..) Any idea if Cornell can be a safe school for me? I know this is a stupid q from my side as admission process depends on lots of other parameters.
But, still want to know opinion of gurus.:) Thanks Arun

Wouldn't know that because I don't believe in the concept of a safe school. Apply to a school only if you're happy to attend the school if / when offered a place in the program. Being a top US 10-15 on any ranking, Cornell is tough to get into, so don't think along the lines of safety school, because you risk your thoughts getting reflected in your essays.

As for Wharton & MIT, there're many who think like you, but end up applying nevertheless. As they say, only one way to find out.

Thanks Dude.
Your advice is certainly very helpful.

I am applying to Duke but not to Wharton, MIT (don't feel any wow factor in my profile to be admitted by these schools...:(..)

Any idea if Cornell can be a safe school for me? I know this is a stupid q from my side as admission process depends on lots of other parameters.
But, still want to know opinion of gurus.:)

Thanks
Arun

Hi Friends, I am in the process of shortlisting B-schools for Fall, 2007 MBA program, and considering cornell as one of the options.

Could neone plaese tell me if cornell has strong presence in healthcare sector. I tried to find info from their website but couldn't get much info. Any idea, if cornell can be a safe school for me? The location of cornell could be a strong point. Thanks Arun

Presuming you have made good progress in your career (managerial roles, increased responsibility and solid promotions) - good profile. Also glad to see some clear goal as to what industry you want to get into.

Cornell is unfortunately NOT one of the schools widely known in the Pharma-Biotech industry. Duke, Wharton and (to an extent) MIT are three of the best MBAs that offer both Commercial/Operational specializations in Healthcare related industries, and opportunities with companies that recruit there both on & off campus through their networks. You should give these schools a try.

Remember though that the world's best Healthcare related companies recruit from almost ALL the top schools in the US and Europe. So attending any one of those schools (Cornell included) will get you the opportunity as long as your focus is clear and you network well.

Hi Friends,
I am in the process of shortlisting B-schools for Fall, 2007 MBA program, and considering cornell as one of the options.

Could neone plaese tell me if cornell has strong presence in healthcare sector. I tried to find info from their website but couldn't get much info.

Any idea, if cornell can be a safe school for me? The location of cornell could be a strong point.

Thanks
Arun