Shilpa Shetty controversy

65 Posts  ·  35 Users
About this group
Everyone must have heard about the Shilpa shetty controversy.. so ...wanted everyone's opinion... Was she right or wrong .. Was she the victim of Racism or just some bullying... Can racism be totally gotten away with ..or it will be there...
Page 1 of 7
I didn't think this thread would be so popular ;-)...

Aren't we like those politicians and the Mediamen who seem to enjoy the controversy and make more fuss out of it...

Anyways, I think if she was so much offended by the racism she should have left the country immediately instead of staying there creating a brouhaha. She fought, cried until she was pampered by the media and politicians for their personal gains and now she is going places(not to forget the endorsements).

Any self respecting person would have left the show and the country immediately if such a treatment had been meted out to him ...

acc to me if she had left the show then it will show her cowardness....she replied such remarks in a dignified manner displaying her good up-bringing....abt media making hue n cry i feel this is not a new thing at all!!!!!!!!!!!! atleast dat goody was thought a good lesson...

the foreign media is like always following her ..after somedays im sure this princess will be dashed to pig by them....they do it diligently..firstly extreme attention...then constant watch...grab negative points..publise them too.. n there the cycle goes......on and on
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Too long a post and swaying from the topic....

how do i delete this post .....

It was a game, and she played it very well!

I didn't think this thread would be so popular ;-)...

Aren't we like those politicians and the Mediamen who seem to enjoy the controversy and make more fuss out of it...

Anyways, I think if she was so much offended by the racism she should have left the country immediately instead of staying there creating a brouhaha. She fought, cried until she was pampered by the media and politicians for their personal gains and now she is going places(not to forget the endorsements).

Any self respecting person would have left the show and the country immediately if such a treatment had been meted out to him ...

One part of me thinks that anyone in her position would have done the same thing :-), who can refuse the bucks and the publicity.

http://deepakjab.blogspot.com/

the antagonism towards other races is the issue which showed a bad fame to the
big brother show. the britain gal jade goody who showed racism on shilpa shetty the bollywood actress made her to win the big brother show......

the only thing is tht so many indians gave msgs to the media about jade goody for her racist behaviour. wht happened whn it was happening in their own state with our indian ppl only. what adiank told is right u ll definetly face problems whn u go from south to north or east or west. thr u find ppl makin comments on ur skin colour, and caste etc.....the racism is thr in india only y r we blamin them. if we were able to control in our country then definetly we can raise our voice about the racism in other countries.

i went to a seminar whr german representatives of different universities came over here to giv a seminar on education at germany. then many guys have raised a questions about racism. then they told tht previously whn we came to india we have seen ppl in some areas by lookin us in a different manner but now it was somewht better the same thing happens in germany also. then no one is able to defend themselves.
so the thing is tht once we were correct then no one will able to point us.
but wht happened to shilpa shetty is very bad we should definely support her but as india is now woke up about this issue its time for us to remove racism in our country also......

With the recent spur on the criticism faced by Big Brother broadcasting television media on the most talked and debatable topic Racism on allegedly airing the racial comments on Shilpa Shetty(a not so famous Bollywood actress) by her fellow roommates during the Reality Show propelled me to discuss about the topic. It was really weird that mere casual remarks hurled at Shilpa like Paki, Dog or Brown Skinned during the British Television Show can stimulate a nationwide movement in drive against racism to such an extent when here back in India such issues take place almost on a daily basis and go unnoticed. Who can ignore there is a so much of racism and rigid caste system still prevailing here. If one travels from North India to South India the color and complexion of skin varies generally from extreme fair to dark and so is the case when travel from West to extreme East where people not just differ in color but also in shape and structure.

People in North East of India and Tibetans resemble more of Chinese in their face structure and dont the other 90% of Indians abuse them by calling them Chinks ? Dont India remember that people in Tibet and North East are been troubled by raids from China and so many Lamas seeking shelter in India to propagate Buddhism and peaceful living from the expansive Chinese. Isnt calling them Chinks and not mentally accepting them in mainstream in mainstream India is a case of Racism when we know that they hate the Chinese more than we do?

When we pronounce terms like Mallu, Bong, Ghati, Gujju, Bihari or casual Northie or Southie in India why we are not objecting on racist grounds? But a remark like Dog from white skinned British Nationalists in Britain has caused emotional turmoil for Indian viewers, join in compassion drive for the Desi actress and rise to fight against Racism . What a Fiasco!

If I were you I would be "absolutely" sure before using "absolutely". I personally didnt think Jade Goody was being racist ( but I confess that could be because I am extremely cynical about the show ). Though I grant you about the outpour of criticism bit
( which may or may not have been orchestrated ). Yes they did vote against Jade Goody but I would say only ostensibly againt Racism. Anyway Frankly I dont know as I dont have enough objective facts ergo cant say anything with a reasonable assertion. Therefore my use of the
word "possibly manufactured" .
Again what has this got to do with Jesse Owens episode???
It is like arguing murder and suicide are the same because ultimately it is about "death of a person" :p

Girish...!

I was absolutely sure before using the term absolutely Jade Goody admits she was being racist Showbiz This is London This should settle the manufactured element of racism :)
A racist episode is a racist episode some get highlighted more because of celebrities being at the racist end. Example- Jesse Owens, Shilpa Shetty n our own Mahatma Gandhi(it was racial treatment that he received that brought about a radical change in him) This is not to forget that racism does exist and there could possibly be so many occurences that go unnoticed and unreported.
Racism is a prejudice that exists in the mind of the perpetrator. Any body blow to that prejudice is most welcome. Owens did that to the Nazis in 1936 and the british public did the same to Jade Goody in 2007.
It is in this context that I spoke about being reminded of Jesse Owens.
And yeah, I do agree that Big Brother is most likely a waste of money, Shilpa has gained owing to this show,there are important issues that matter,.. so on and so forth.

But sticking to just RACISM that is what the British public has done,defeat of RACISM in WHATEVER and WHICHEVER context is good.

Come on guys..

Shilpa is extremely happy that Jade made those remarks.. After all the fiasco has led to her phoenix like rise from the ashes.

Besides, I have one hell of a feeling that all these reality shows are stage managed... And so was big brother... It is a win-win situation as both the promoters and competitors win this way.. Only the poor "we" ruminate over the stage-managed happenings..

@Harsharocks: Ha ha...:) You seem to be one optimistic young man..:) And I seem like a cynical,curmudgeonly ol' fellow ( figuratively speaking 😃 ) But for some reason I liked your riposte..anyway let me see if I can give an alternative possibly more realistic version....:)

"HarshaRocks"| Says
Firstly lets do away the commercial aspect of the show and why people watch such shows concentrate on just RACISM.

We cannot..you see this is the crux of the issue...and the commercial elements involved is the precise reason why the parallel is unjustified....:huh: :huh:

Hitler and the Nazi party believe that the aryan race is superior to other races inhabiting the planet.Did the ordinary German believe so?Absolutely NO.Who was being racist here?Hitler,the Nazi party and NOT the ordinary german.But it took the brilliance of Jesse Owens to demolish that myth.Jesse Owens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did the german people behave sportingly after Jesse's victory?YES they did(One would know that if he reads the link above) Was Jesse's talent solely responsible for his victory.Obviously

YES. But hey hold on, you are missing an important ingredient that got him the gold medal in the long jump competition. Luz Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jesse himself acknowledged Long's contribution in his clean sweep.Without Long,Jesse would probably never have made it to the Long Jump finals.

I have to admit when I spoke about Hitler (Nazi) and racism I did not establish the context well enough. To give a historical perspective in 1936 Hitler ( using him as a figurehead for Germany's Nazi party ) was just getting "warmed up". The years leading up to 1939 was largely warming up" and reestablishing the German state in the world view. ( Reference: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich By William Shirer . It's scholarly status is debatable ofcourse..but the only book I have read.. ). and 1936 was too early to say what the "ordinary German" really believed. Though it's a moot point to remember that an ordinary German's opinion didnt really matter if it was not in consonance with the Nazi ideology!!

And oh what do you have to say about this?
alt.folklore.urban | Google Groups ? :p

Moral of the story: Never trust Wikipedia blindly! .
Actually the real moral is one can never rely on "anecdotal evidence" considering man's ficklemindedness...so I leave it to the reader to judge Luz Long's contribution in Jesse Owen's victory! :)

But that is neither here nor there....:huh:

|"HarshaRocks" Says
Now to the bottomline of the entire episode- Racism was defeated and the spirit of sportsmanship and humanity was victorious.

You are an optimistic young man !;) so If I debunk the whole episode does your conclusion stand null and void?

Was Jade Goody being racist? Absolutely Yes.
Was the british public being racist? No.There was an outpour of criticism post Jade's remarks.
Now BB is a show where public opinion counts and nothing else.
What did the british pubic vote against? Was it Jade Goody? No, look carefully it was an overwhelming vote against RACISM. If Goody would have managed to bring tears in Shilpa's eyes minus the racist comments- Shilpa would most likely have been voted out of the show.

If I were you I would be "absolutely" sure before using "absolutely". I personally didnt think Jade Goody was being racist ( but I confess that could be because I am extremely cynical about the show ). Though I grant you about the outpour of criticism bit
( which may or may not have been orchestrated ). Yes they did vote against Jade Goody but I would say only ostensibly againt Racism. Anyway Frankly I dont know as I dont have enough objective facts ergo cant say anything with a reasonable assertion. Therefore my use of the
word "possibly manufactured" .

Again what has this got to do with Jesse Owens episode???
It is like arguing murder and suicide are the same because ultimately it is about "death of a person" :p

Girish...!
Ok lets see if the following puts things in better perspective as to why it is a travesty to compare these two incidents.

Big Brother is a R-E-A-L-I-T-Y S-H-O-W. The raison d'etre of shows of this kind is to shock the wits of normal TV viewing public who enjoy such shows . The show wouldn't be there if not for the "shock element". Hence my use of the word "manufactured" ( I guess " fabricated " would have been the mot juste but hey you get what I mean..) racism. To be fair I also added "probably".Never mind the surge in TRP ratings which translates to advertising revenue.

Read this : 2x3x7: Yes, but why are you watching Big Brother?

( I cant help but plugging in that...this d00d just puts it so amazingly well in his inimitable way that this definitely warrants a read...)

And Jesse Owens you are talking about Germany. Hitler. Nazism. Late 1930's to early 1940's. Aryan supremacy. Connect the dots yourself :)

Anyway now why I think the parallel was unjustified was because of the following things Jesse Owens didnt do when confronted with racism.

--> Stand in the middle of ground doing nothing except occasionally breaking out in lachrymose fashion because the Nazis were "mean" to him. Now who would have expected that??? :huh:

--> Athletics is skill. You compete. Not just dress up prettily and laze around in a room indulging in banter and vacuous,idiotic conversation and ofcourse occasionally crying in front of the camera. In the side pocketing a cool crore or two of course.

--> Jesse Owens didnt win because the crowd thought Papa Hitler was "mean" and they were trying to prove a point that they werent racist. He didnt "win" because the crowd voted for him for being pretty in the middle of the ground.

what exactly did Shilpa "achieve" really?? Okies let me rephrase it this way...what exactly was she going to lose by quitting when confronted with racist remarks? 😛 Now that should answer your question...

Popular opinion??? bollocks! If you are talking about the kind of boneheaded sms voters who think they are exercising their "democratic" right by contributing to the Advertising revenue and the telecom revenue I frankly have nothing much to say..:huh: :huh:

Enough said...

Girish...!

Ok let me elaborate on how i see the parellels here :)

Firstly lets do away the commercial aspect of the show and why people watch such shows concentrate on just RACISM.

1936- The year of Berlin Olympics

Hitler and the Nazi party believe that the aryan race is superior to other races inhabiting the planet.Did the ordinary German believe so?Absolutely NO.Who was being racist here?Hitler,the Nazi party and NOT the ordinary german.But it took the brilliance of Jesse Owens to demolish that myth.Jesse Owens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did the german people behave sportingly after Jesse's victory?YES they did(One would know that if he reads the link above) Was Jesse's talent solely responsible for his victory.Obviously YES. But hey hold on, you are missing an important ingredient that got him the gold medal in the long jump competition. Luz Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jesse himself acknowledged Long's contribution in his clean sweep.Without Long,Jesse would probably never have made it to the Long Jump finals.

Now to the bottomline of the entire episode- Racism was defeated and the spirit of sportsmanship and humanity was victorious.

Fast forward to 2007 and a little known show-Big Brother

Was Jade Goody being racist? Absolutely Yes.
Was the british public being racist? No.There was an outpour of criticism post Jade's remarks.
Now BB is a show where public opinion counts and nothing else.
What did the british pubic vote against? Was it Jade Goody? No, look carefully it was an overwhelming vote against RACISM. If Goody would have managed to bring tears in Shilpa's eyes minus the racist comments- Shilpa would most likely have been voted out of the show.

Now to the bottomline of the entire episode- Racism was defeated and the spirit of humanity was victorious.

This is the way I look at it 😃