Sheryl Sandberg's address at Harvard Business School (HBS)

2 Posts  ·  1 User
About this group
I am not sure how many Puys have seen this, but thought it was a really interesting graduation speech Sheryl Sandberg Addresses the Class of 2012 - YouTube If you haven't heard of her I would be :shock:. Involved with Google, Facebook an...
Page 1 of 1
Daemon_hunter Says
Anyway, some of the interesting things in her speech that I was hoping we could talk about.

After 5 days no one has anything to add? Wow!!
A post helped you? Please like it. The Karma count helps differentiate the helpful folks. Want to evaluate your profile for B School? Check this out http://knightinwhite.blogspot.com/2013/07/quick-guide-to-evaluating-your-profile.html
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am not sure how many Puys have seen this, but thought it was a really interesting graduation speech

Sheryl Sandberg Addresses the Class of 2012 - YouTube

If you haven't heard of her I would be :shock:. Involved with Google, Facebook and one of Time magazines 100 most influential people, she is a force to reckon with.

Anyway, some of the interesting things in her speech that I was hoping we could talk about.

a) Career - Snakes and Ladders

Probably the most relevant to all B-School aspirants and B-School graduates. For many of us, B-schools are glorified placement agencies. Most of them trumpet their ranks and average packages. How open are we to not looking at our 40 year working life as a corporate ladder that needs to be climbed, but a challenge to grow in different dimensions?
Given that she is a Harvard graduate herself (1995) addressing the passing out batch of HBS in 2012. I think there are some relevant points that we can take away.

b) Be honest and upfront - How easy or difficult have you found this to be?
While she narrated a few incidents to be funny, I felt that these occur more often than not. And the reason it happens, is because people might not be as open to feedback as she is.

c) The role of Women in companies and men at home.
This is a idea that is close to her heart and she has talked about multiple times. She has spoken on various platforms on some of the reasons behind the gender imbalance in the workplace. How realistic is her view of 50% women heading companies and 50% of homes being led by men?

Opening the floor to discussion.

A post helped you? Please like it. The Karma count helps differentiate the helpful folks. Want to evaluate your profile for B School? Check this out http://knightinwhite.blogspot.com/2013/07/quick-guide-to-evaluating-your-profile.html
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...