Shameful state of women in b-schools

24 Posts  ·  12 Users
About this group
It hasnt been many years since I walked out of the ** campus with a dream job offer from ITC and I was very grateful to my alma mater but there was this cynicism in me which I owed to that institution. I have read what was written in the earlier t...
Page 1 of 3

Whatever happened to the edit button!! Ok a few clarifications-

http://www.pagalguy.com/536218-post46.html

Posted on July 9, 2006. Prior to any allegations or insinuations.

Please refer specifically to point no.5 in the relevant post

( I cannot speak for any other batch).

I cannot speak for any other batch simply because I do not have any information to prove/refute statements. This is not because I do not want to talk about them

There are a few cultural shocks that Bschools throw at you when you enter, Since I have multiple perspectives to compare, I can tell you with complete assurance that IIMC is the best school in India to join if you are a girl and I am sure all 46 in my batch will testify that fact.

I am in an IIM and so is my girl friend. I guess that explains multiple perspectives 😉
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
http://www.pagalguy.com/536218-post46.html

Posted on July 9, 2006. Prior to any allegations or insinuations. I have a lot to say in this matter but none related to IIMC. A few IIMs do have issues in the way they treat their women and last year there was also a major issue at one of the IIMs where the dean had to step in after complaints. But trust me when I say that no such issue has happened here at IIMC in my batch ( I cannot speak for any other batch). IIMC is as free a place as it gets and it is unfortunate that the example had to quote IIMC.

Like everything else here at C, people are not forced into interacting. So you will not hear stories of ragging, "Personality Development" sessions, special dunking and dancing around girls or of PGP1 girls being made to run behind senior guys in the name of fun. (All these have happened in another school and so the reference)

There are a few cultural shocks that Bschools throw at you when you enter, Since I have multiple perspectives to compare, I can tell you with complete assurance that IIMC is the best school in India to join if you are a girl and I am sure all 46 in my batch will testify that fact.

There is of course extensive room for improvement in all IIMs but world over Bschools are not the most comfortable places for women and IIMC I would argue does as good a job it can given the number of 23 year old engineers it admits

I dont believe that Msinghania had maligning IIMC's brand name as his motive. IIMC is too old an institution for any one of us to worry about maligning of its repuatation. Also for the record please do check the following rather relevant link

SAWNET: Bookshelf: Manreet Sodhi Someshwar

A woman, an IIMC alumnus and her book on a woman's life in a man's world. Befits the ocassion dont u think? 😉
akitrav Says
It hasnt been many years since I walked out of the campus with a dream job offer from ITC and I was very grateful to my alma mater but there was this cynicism in me which I owed to that institution. I have read what was written in the earlier thread and I have lived through all that again. Its something that only a girl can understand. for guys its another way of having fun but it had made my life hell..

Made your life hell??? that's a personal problem. Why generalize it???
Ask any girl in and she will tell you the same thing I wonder how this girl could write it in words but its very difficult to express. Things r subtle & humiliating. Lot of people excuse girls for bearing it and not coming out with it but I want to know what will a girl say when guys comment about her body parts in double-meaning lines. I cant go anywhere. That feeling of helplessness is insurmountable. offer you great career opportunities but there are a lot of things which reflect the worst face of our society.

Also we should ban the "laughter challange" and other similar sleazy shows. No im not kidding... seriously such things happen every where, do you think you will be spared of these incidents at ur workplace. the point is why crib??? why not stand up an fight yourself? if u feel so strongly about the issue come up in front. no this cribbing wont help you in anyway...

Many guys who had been silent witnesses to these shameful act now work with me. I still go to reunions but somewhere down the line I have lost respect for these intelligent yet shallow persons.
Why cant I come out in the open and talk about it? Becoz I dont have anyyy proof & I will lose my job, will have to face a lot of flak from people who have influence in my sphere of work etc etc.

U'll lose ur job??? what does that mean??? r u working in some govt office in some remote villge of bihar??? this is the craziest thing i've heard since a long time. What do want to say...the guys who have been making sleazy comments on you are sons of bloody rich businessman or a highly influential politician...Man!!!! even bollywood has stopped working these plots
Come-on gimme a break for heaven's sake

Speak to any girl from in private & u will know that all this is true

Now where the hell do you expect me to find a girl from your insti who wud be ready to talk to me in private???
girls in IIM have not come forward simply because they have no time for such STUPID comments!!!! What do you want to prove by going around opening threads every day on the same topic??? If we would have felt anything, even remotely similar to what you are saying, we would have definitely come ahead and said so on this forum. PG is tooo free for such causes. But the whole issue is that these institutes are actually very safe and I have never faced any such thing. And in my batch no other female student has gone through any such experience.
My sis is a pass out from another reputed college & she never faced any such "Sexual Harrasment" issues in her college too!!! Or else I wouldnt have been in this college, as she wouldnt have allowed me to come here...
I guess that pretty much explains things and life @ my college.
The system here takes care of such issues in itself & i guess guys just dont change so much by getting a call from the top b-school of the country that they become an animal from a perfect gentleman...
By the way I would urge the person who has started this thread to verify stuff before posting it, there is no use in wasting the resources of this forum and also the time of moderators. Why cant you analyse such a small issue logically that no girl, who is educated enough to be in a top b-school would take any such stuff quitely... Girls r known to b noisy!!!

And yeah, I played Cricket with guys in the New Year Week & no body part of mine was at all talked about, except may be the absence of muscles, because the ball was not able to reach the batsmen

P.S. : Good Luck to Msinghania, i think he will give CAT again next year. No person can tolerate such a big failure in life!!! Full sympathies with you, CAT does turn people into maniac

I am glad that you came up with an explaination, Avantika. Was just hoping for the same!

Well, the discussion per say is really valid, though a very myopic view taken by a few posters. Lets see where the discussion heads! :)

Keep RockiN on!
Now c'mon; no one is so openly/easily going to discuss this issue with current students, after so many years from the time they occured.

Such things aren't exactly as mild as bedroom secrets to be discussed in alumni meets... Hope you get the drift.

Further what about the other 6 girls of the batch.

Of course, I am playing a devil's advocate here, as always!

Oh really?? When they were discussing e/thing from the good points to the bad points, suggestions for improvement, I would have though they wud have asked, just informally, abt the current situation. Specially when these alums are right now thinking of sending their own children to IIMs within 3-4 years....
We can just go on speculating!!! But the point is, do we have a concrete proof?? And unless we do have one, it defies the whole purpose of discussing such issues....
About "no smoke without fire" thing, what happens if i tomorrow create a blog, saying IIT-X has horrible environment, girls are almost raped out there... blah...blah.. blah!!! There will be smoke, but what about fire?? None, I never went to any IIT,except IIT-Kanpur, which was the centre for FMS examination.
Come on guys, its Internet world, you can lie as much as you want, provided you have the time!!!
We just had Alum Reunion... 3 of the 9 girls in that batch(1981 pass out) had come .... No one mentioned any such thing...
If sexuall harrasment would have been such a nuisance at that time, they would have definitely asked us...

Now c'mon; no one is so openly/easily going to discuss this issue with current students, after so many years from the time they occured.

Such things aren't exactly as mild as bedroom secrets to be discussed in alumni meets... Hope you get the drift.

Further what about the other 6 girls of the batch.

Of course, I am playing a devil's advocate here, as always!
Let me play devil's Advocate

I feel the thread starter has a point. There can be no smoke without fire. The situations have radically changed. I repeat radically

M: F ratios and the overall maturity in the B-schoolers have improved a lot ;)
I'm pretty sure if there were 10 girls in an IIM and 190 guys lot of crap might have happened ! Such a bad ratio is not a case in thse days in B-schools.

We just had Alum Reunion... 3 of the 9 girls in that batch(1981 pass out) had come .... No one mentioned any such thing...
If sexuall harrasment would have been such a nuisance at that time, they would have definitely asked us...
anandv
@anandv  ·  2,055 karma

Let me play devil's Advocate

I feel the thread starter has a point. There can be no smoke without fire. The situations have radically changed. I repeat radically

M: F ratios and the overall maturity in the B-schoolers have improved a lot ;)
I'm pretty sure if there were 10 girls in an IIM and 190 guys lot of crap might have happened ! Such a bad ratio is not a case in thse days in B-schools.

I am in no position to comment as to whether the claims made by the thread-starter are genuine or not.

But do I see someone rationalizing the behaviour in question?

"but there are othr discrimmanations also between boyz like eng/non-eng , iit vs non iit belive me all this exists n lot of cribbing goes on behind scenes."

Your point being? Lot of cribbing goes on... ok so..??

""kudos for speaking up but who said life is fair.""

Again; did the original poster claim that"" "Life is fair" BUT this is what happened ONLY to me/us""

Please let us know...
if presence of unfairness in lot of other areas is a reason enough for us to accept the kind of behaviour that's being talked about by the original poster.

I personally think that this if the above incident is true, it is probably a freak case. I don't think this is a systemic problem across any/all IIM/(s). If it would have been, then it would have surely come out by now.

Titles like "shameful state of women in B-schools" are completely unjustified and smack of innate frustrations rather than the issue at hand.

Would request the mods to change the thread title, before it appears as a second-most important issue in tommorow's Karachi Times or The Daily Inqalab. (The most important will always be the "so-called" human-rights violations in Kashmir and North-east)

A thousand thanks to you catasp for your comments
Are you satisfied akitrav or should we drop C and move on to the other alphabets??? Which college is up next???

Mridul