Service Tax For Autonomous Institutes :(

1 Post  ·  195 Users
About this group
Hello all, I may seem like a prick for bringing up all these issues but it really hurts and the worst part is it pinches my dad. :: As you all know the Finance Minister in his budget has extended the levy of service tax to all autonomous ...
Page 1 of 1

Hello all,
I may seem like a prick for bringing up all these issues but it really hurts and the worst part is it pinches my dad.

As you all know the Finance Minister in his budget has extended the levy of service tax to all autonomous private institutes and this is very pertinent to those of us who are studying from the 100's of BSchools that are autonomous.

Assunming that the average course fee of 3.8 Lacs over 2 years and a 12% service tax levy will push our fees up by almost 50K or half a lac of rupees...

Now I have a lot of reasons to protest

Firstly why are we paying service tax when all we are seeking is education... It is obvious that we are joining courses that are private becuase we dont get admissions into the University colleges like FMS, JBIMS or the IIMs..

Also the service we are taking is education and not a new mobile conection or laundry for which we are liable to pay service tax. On one hand my father puts his life's savings into fuding my 4 lac MBA and now suddenly its gona cost him 4.5 Lacs. This is very irritating and annoying.

I urge all of you out there to come together and protest and let us know the points that we can fight on to save us from this extra liability

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.