Sentence Correction for CAT 2012

2,331 Posts  ·  1,247 Users
About this group
Hi Guys, please continue here for the sentence correction discussions for CAT 2012 :: :: here are some links of the previous threads. http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/englis...tml#post781677 (Sentence Correction for CAT 2007) htt...
Page 1 of 234

Join SSC chsl group for discussion https://chat.whatsapp.com/HGmVy4TqitoGRjnyedbWed

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Please help me in preparing problems based on- identify incorrect or out of context sentence from given 4 coherent  sentences...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Pleas name 1 or 2 good sites for excellent grammar preparation!! Anyone.. Someone.. Please..!

1 comment

Find out error in the following sentence if any and mark Sr. no. of the relative part. In case of no error mark Sr no.5. Ignore punctuation error.

For more such exercises www.englishgrammarlesson.blogspot.com.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvJv j0XH8A4TKa6pqQBxRWw

EXERCISE NO. E.53

1 A tranquil and placid river flows 2. besides snow clad lofty cliffs 3. standing mute and silently on 4.the northern side of the city.

Read more at www.englishgrammarlesson.blogspot.in,                                      www.lessonenglishgrammar.com &  bit.ly/getprepvocab
8 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 8
SeVRus
@SeVRus  ·  27 karma

mute and silently follows parallelism?...

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Alo672
@Alo672  ·  0 karma

"Beside" means "next to" and besides means "in addition to" or "apart from". Also as an adverb "besides" means -furthermore . In this case the river flows "next to" the snow clad mountain cliffs.Hence 2 is wrong.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

14- The coachy my best friend play with me everyday. Write the sentence using comma, colon , semicolon at appropriate position

1 comment
ouch
@ouch  ·  0 karma

The coachy, my best friend, plays with me everyday.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Does any1 have any online material on sentence correction? 😞

3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
Anuja.J
@Anuja.J  ·  0 karma

I screw it every time. I always miss something. :\
I just can't crack it!

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
vrana95
@vrana95  ·  0 karma
@Anuja.J hey , don't loose hope.Before the exam , i would just suggest you that just do not focus on attempting right one but learn from your maximum mistakes and get it right in the final D day .
So make more mistakes before the exam but do not repeat your mistakes.
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@amitshanky
The lady, whom I was with, is my aunt.
Here the sentence has two parts:
1. The lady is my aunt
2. I was with her

The blank corresponds to that part of the sentence where I am saying "I was with her". In this case, the lady is the subject and I am the object. Therefore, whom should be used.

" I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestine d, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
1 comment
asr16
@asr16IIM Lucknow  ·  161 karma

subject takes who........not whom

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The lady ....... I was with is my aunt.

1) who 2) whom

Please explain.

21 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 21
kinji.at.pg1
@kinji.at.pg1Tepper Pittsburgh  ·  30,873 karma

who -> Subject of the modifier and whom -> object of the modifier,

Here the modifier is the the Lady and the lady is the subject of the modifier. Hence who should be used.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
jatins3681
@jatins3681  ·  0 karma

who

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@yashvora26 most commonly tested errors are related to modifiers, parallelism and verb tenses
Other errors are tested too (punctuation etc.) but not as much. Spelling errors are not tested under grammar, unless the incorrectly spelled word means something else....
http://www.myprepmate.com : Unlimited Free Practice for CAT and GMAT
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The ans should be 1)only D.
corrections-:
a) assist is followed by in/with. in dis case it shud be "assist chemical reactions in breaking down ozone"

b)'to' needs to me removed...it shud be - making them break apart.

c)'many an' is incorrect usage

So close, yet so far....
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...