Schulich (York univ) applications and admits - 2008 batch

68 Posts  ·  23 Users
About this group
Hi every, I had applied to schulich school of busines for fall 2008 batch and have got an admit in the same....is there any one else who have applied for the same course and have got an admit ? Thanks Sagar
Page 1 of 7

Thought I would post my response from the other forum into this one as well:

Schulich is a decent school in Canada. Problem is that selectivity is lacking at the institution; and that affects the quality of students being accepted into the school. This drives away the top investment banks, management consulting firms, and boutique firms (that hire at Rotman, Ivey, US Ivy Leagues).

The main reason is that the senior administration of Schulich, treats the school like a money machine. They do not care of the quality of school, and no student (no matter how poor) will be rejected on any grounds. More demand for spaces at the school, translates into increased hiring of part-time "teachers" (not professors) to absorb demand. Rotman, Ivey, Queen's etc has stringent admission limits and will NOT accept poor students under any circumstance.

Looking at the GMAT stats at Schulich only confirms my statement. Though there are a few high scorers, the number of students admitted with GMAT scores in the range of 520-580 is absolutely appalling!!! Close to 1/2 of admitted students, easily!!

Top schools like Rotman, Ivey, Chicago, Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, Queen's, MIT etc would NEVER admit even ONE student with a GMAT below 600. Employers worldwide know this, that's why Schulich is not their school of choice for recruitment.

Long story short, if you have scored a GMAT score of 640+ don't even think of Schulich!! Accept other schools that have extended offers of admission. If you do accept, you'll be with 100's of students with GMAT scores less than 580!!

BTW a background statement, I AM a final year Rotman student, who is VERY glad that I attended Rotman and not Schulich. All my classmates from India who went to Schulich, were unable to obtain internships or full-time positions through the school b/c of its poor reputation in eyes of recruiters (for having many sub-par students)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi everyone,

First of all, I believe this forum is great because different scopes can be shared and discussed.
From what I have read, I can perceive a certain degree of rejection, a sort of not declared xenophobism towards foreigners concerning the p previous theads about the Schulich MBA. Dear Gandhik, let me ask you something: where are you from? Why should cantonese, chinese, Russian or any other language might be so perturbant? I am Peruvian, and I believe that Canada is a great country where people have social security and a well organised social system as a whole, is a country that selects peolple and is open to different cultures. Canada is -as the USA- an inmigration state, you cant say there is a Canadian Culture because Canada is built of the very best of diversity. Thus, do canadian universities such as York- Schulich MBA are "as bad or as a big mistake"?. I am applying to 5 canadian MBAs after a 1 and a half year deep research (FT, BusinessW, Pagalguy, Beatthegmat, Mba Forums, Top Mba.com etc) in the following order: Ivey, Hec, Sauder, Schulich and Rotman. Ivey is great, good philosophy, great $ and placements and is not a GMAT psycho-measurer that is to say the whole package is considered. Hec has the best ROI of all 5 and if u seek to stay in Quebec (as I do) it will fit your needs. Sauder is a good BS belonging to one of the Top 50 universities of the world. Schulich has a very international view, good salaries and good placements. Do you believe, a source such as FT can be "wrong" to place it on the top 48/100 best mba schools 2008 as businessweek at 9/10 best non us schools, are they wrong too?

I strongly believe that when you have a bad experience you must be very careful in generalizing "your" case to "others" case. I dont see an advice I just see a mere reaction towards a personal failure. Think on the chance you have to study abroad or in a developed country, think on those guys who dont even have the chance to decide and who have to take escape on 3 day trips in overloaded boats to get to the EU from Africa, or to US from Cuba etc. Chinese, japanese, german, french, hungarian etc are people who want to improve and to reach a better degree in their careers and in their quality of life. Rather than being impulsive you must support with concrete arguments every assumption made. I have checked the NotCanada.com site and I believe that these people are in their right to protest for something they felt was not granted to them but I am sure that a big piece of inmigrants gone to Canada are by far better there than they were in their native countries. By the way, I am peruvian, hungarian and Canadian Resident working in Peru and aiming to apply for the 2009 fall mba session.

Howerver, I have to thank you guys and this this site for letting us all share our views and feelings, no one has "the" truth, human minds are subjective but correct information always builds solid arguments, or isWharton bad too, although its 1st ranked? Things depend.

Best 4 u all,

Lukacspereny

Hi,

firstly, i second your thoughts on this thread. The thread has been Min Boggling for me, but still, it was informative.

btw, I have got a select from Schulich as well, for Fall 2009 (Sep 09). Do mail me at abhisheksuraj@yahoo.com in case you decide to join Schulich.

Life is Good,
Abhi
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
As always, I have reliable sources to support my argument.
You can disagree with me all you want - but you are wrong!
Articles like this are published in Canada's reputed newspapers almost every day!
Just open your eyes guys..

TheStar.com Ideas Brain Drain II: Immigrants let glass ceiling gather dust

This is an issue with not just well educated immigrants but skilled second generation immigrants of colour
(Chinese/Indian, Canadian born MBAs/Masters students etc.) Obviously their situation will be better than recent immigrants but they will still always face "glass ceilings" because of their colour.

"But Canada, with its declining birth rate and aging population, can't afford to lose its most talented immigrants and their children, who now dominate professional programs and graduate schools across the country" -TorontoStar
TOO LATE. YOU LOST RAHUL JUNEJA TO THE USA! HE GLADLY DID HIS MBA AT BABSON AND IS NOW LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM.

I see, this was a quote in Feb, 2008. Recession just started at that time.

Now with the Recession in Full Swing, top Investment Company Lehman Bros out from the picture and all the Investment Banks struggling hard in US, can you still apply the same Logic to US? :)

PS: This is just a question, and i am not biased for either Canada/ US. I am in India, btw.

Life is Good,
Abhi
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I see, this was a quote in Feb, 2008. Recession just started at that time.

Now with the Recession in Full Swing, top Investment Company Lehman Bros out from the picture and all the Investment Banks struggling hard in US, can you still apply the same Logic to US? :)

PS: This is just a question, and i am not biased for either Canada/ US. I am in India, btw.

Life is Good,
Abhi

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi everyone,

First of all, I believe this forum is great because different scopes can be shared and discussed.
From what I have read, I can perceive a certain degree of rejection, a sort of not declared xenophobism towards foreigners concerning the p previous theads about the Schulich MBA. Dear Gandhik, let me ask you something: where are you from? Why should cantonese, chinese, Russian or any other language might be so perturbant? I am Peruvian, and I believe that Canada is a great country where people have social security and a well organised social system as a whole, is a country that selects peolple and is open to different cultures. Canada is -as the USA- an inmigration state, you cant say there is a Canadian Culture because Canada is built of the very best of diversity. Thus, do canadian universities such as York- Schulich MBA are "as bad or as a big mistake"?. I am applying to 5 canadian MBAs after a 1 and a half year deep research (FT, BusinessW, Pagalguy, Beatthegmat, Mba Forums, Top Mba.com etc) in the following order: Ivey, Hec, Sauder, Schulich and Rotman. Ivey is great, good philosophy, great $ and placements and is not a GMAT psycho-measurer that is to say the whole package is considered. Hec has the best ROI of all 5 and if u seek to stay in Quebec (as I do) it will fit your needs. Sauder is a good BS belonging to one of the Top 50 universities of the world. Schulich has a very international view, good salaries and good placements. Do you believe, a source such as FT can be "wrong" to place it on the top 48/100 best mba schools 2008 as businessweek at 9/10 best non us schools, are they wrong too?

I strongly believe that when you have a bad experience you must be very careful in generalizing "your" case to "others" case. I dont see an advice I just see a mere reaction towards a personal failure. Think on the chance you have to study abroad or in a developed country, think on those guys who dont even have the chance to decide and who have to take escape on 3 day trips in overloaded boats to get to the EU from Africa, or to US from Cuba etc. Chinese, japanese, german, french, hungarian etc are people who want to improve and to reach a better degree in their careers and in their quality of life. Rather than being impulsive you must support with concrete arguments every assumption made. I have checked the NotCanada.com site and I believe that these people are in their right to protest for something they felt was not granted to them but I am sure that a big piece of inmigrants gone to Canada are by far better there than they were in their native countries. By the way, I am peruvian, hungarian and Canadian Resident working in Peru and aiming to apply for the 2009 fall mba session.

Howerver, I have to thank you guys and this this site for letting us all share our views and feelings, no one has "the" truth, human minds are subjective but correct information always builds solid arguments, or isWharton bad too, although its 1st ranked? Things depend.

Best 4 u all,

Lukacspereny

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Also there is 30+ schools offering MBA in Canada.
And Schulich is in top 3! It is a good school, and also quite cheap compare
to Ivey and Rotman. Maybe not as good, but u get what u pay for..
Many of us (me included) cant afford 62000+ tuition and residence, course kits, laptop + textbooks. This is almost $100,000!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi all. I found this website on google and liked to share my insight. As Toronto citizen for 5 years and works in financial centre.. I can say without doubt that Schulich is very good school and can be compared to Ivey and Rotman.
Only problem is the career center at schulich. If u look at Top 100 MBA ranking, Ivey and Rotman are in the 50's at career placement success (average/top 100 for placing students in positions after graduation). Where as Schulich is 91 .. or 9th worst.
This I think explain why the low salary compared to Ivey and Rotman and also why Schulich do not have listing of companies where grads work upon graduation (as does Ivey and Rotman)
I also hear from friends at Rotman that lot of the posh management consulting firm (Mckinsey, Booz Allen Hamilton, BCG) and investment bank that pay very very well do not recruit from Schulich.
This maybe because quality of students.. compare to Rotman and Ivey which admits many ex-investment banker, traders, consultant etc..I dunno.
But one thing u can't argue..is quality of education is still good in Schulich.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey congrats man !!!

I am interested to apply for Schulich.. Please let me know the admssion process..
and when is the best time to submit the application..
There are 2 courses in Schulich, MBA and IMBA... which one you applied

Hi sunil

Congrats on the admit.
Don't know much about German B schools, so can't comment on that.
About schulich, it is a decent B school and the fees is almost same as any college in North America.
Do your own research and choose the best B school.

I have paid the initial deposit and have not got any scholarship.
You can contact me at kishparth@gmail.com

Regards
Kishore
GMAT- 670, 2 yrs marketing experience
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Well, I am positive about not joining Schulich.
As much as I am impressed by its popularity, rankings, etc, it is still a
very costly option for me.
I also spoke to Ms. Anne who is responcible for scholarship, apparently
the schols r over.
All the best to you two..

Best regards,

Deepak.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Cool so we have 3 people here... i got in touch with a couple of students and they say the teaching is good but they even quoted the recession in US which maybe a cause of concern... but hopefully by the time we graduate this should be ok...

I am yet to apply for visa and also I have to think about the stay there too... I will be finalizing a few things by this month end ...
Also there is an orkut group on Schulich where you can find some students who are helpful with the queries..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...