Satisfying 730 (V-40, Q-49)

17 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
*\------------------------------------------------------- ..............................Raw Score........Percentile \------------------------------------------------------- Quantitative...............49....................86 Verbal....
Page 1 of 2
Congratulations on your score Euros!! Very well done.

I'd like to ask in case you decide to go to INSEAD I've heard the fee is in excess of 60 lakhs! If this is the case how do students with families who do not have 60 lakhs to spare manage to pay such a high fee,...

...Are there scholarships available?

Thanks Harrii.
I understand where you are coming from. INSEAD, like any other European b-school is expensive specially for Indians due to the exchange rate between INR and Euro or Pound. European b-schools such as INSEAD, LBS, etc. charge a premium for the kind of opportunities they offer. They are pretty selective about who they admit and this is one of the reasons why MCs and IBs recruit in large numbers from these campuses.

There are scholarships available but they are in limited number. Check
INSEAD MBA Programme - Admissions

Most students admitted to such institutes use a combination of personal savings and loans.

Bear in mind that for INSEAD or LBS, the expenses outside of tuition (traveling and living in Europe) are also pretty high.

you may also like to go through this thread
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/insead-sep-2011-admissions-25058145
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Congratulations on your score Euros!! Very well done.

I'd like to ask in case you decide to go to INSEAD I've heard the fee is in excess of 60 lakhs! If this is the case how do students with families who do not have 60 lakhs to spare manage to pay such a high fee, reason I ask is because i have recently bought an appartment in south mumbai so it will be difficult for me to pay such a high fee

Are there scholarships available?

tks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Is the Diagnostic Test the same as mock test which is there in GmatPrep Software?

Does all these books comes with CD and tests(which otherwise has to be bought)?

Thanks euros!

The Diagnostic Test in the OG is not the same as the Practice Test in GMATPrep Software. The practice test on GMAT Prep are real CATs and very close to what you will face on the actual GMAT.

While some books do come with a CD, others have a code or PIN that can be used for registration online on company's website, which then gives you access to practice tests and question banks.

rockster43 Says
Hello...dont know whether this is the rite thread.....As per the previous post plz mention what all the books you read and what all universities u are going to apply for.....

I am currently applying to ISB and INSEAD.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more questions regarding GMAT, then feel free to post them.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
rockster43 Says
Hello...dont know whether this is the rite thread.....As per the previous post plz mention what all the books you read and what all universities u are going to apply for.....

I am not sure whether this question is asked to me as I am myself just inquiring about the books to refer to.

As for univs, research is on. Early to say.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
You can download the two GMAT PREP practice tests for free from www.mba.com. I took the remaining practice tests online. Kaplan, Princeton, Veritas, Knewton, MGMAT - all of them have 1 practice test available freely on their respective websites. You will have to create a account and then you can access these tests.

Manhattan GMAT has 6 practice tests in all, of which 1 is free. The remaining 5 MGMAT Tests have to bought. If you buy any of the GMAT Strategy Guides first hand, then you don't have to pay for the 5 additional MGMAT tests.

The answer to your question depends on what are your areas of weaknesses and strengths as far as GMAT is concerned.
Official Guide 12th Edition is a good book. Regarded as bible by most people.
For SC: MGMAT's SC Strategy Guide
For CR: Powerscore CR Bible

Since you are just beginning, the very first thing you should do as soon as you get OG is that write the Diagnostic Test.
I will also suggest that you take a full length Computer Adaptive Test (pick one from any of the above websites) within first 3-4 days of your preparation.

Hope this helps

Have downloaded the GMAT Prep from MBA.com. I had no clue about the structure of the GMAT, so went thru the sections and example questions. Quants are definite my weak areas of whatever questions I went thru.

Will take a complete mock test tomorrow and then would be clear as to where I am placed. Is the Diagnostic Test the same as mock test which is there in GmatPrep Software?

OG will have to buy for sure. Rest would think after giving the mock test. Does all these books comes with CD and tests(which otherwise has to be bought)?

Thanks euros!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Euros, which all book did you use to study? I am in the very step for GMAT, collecting books which I would need to get a decent score in GMAT.

So far I have just heard of the OG guide and will order by today or tomorrow.

Thanks a ton!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
How and where do we take these practice tests mentioned above? Are these free or do we need to pay for it?

Thanks!

You can download the two GMAT PREP practice tests for free from www.mba.com. I took the remaining practice tests online. Kaplan, Princeton, Veritas, Knewton, MGMAT - all of them have 1 practice test available freely on their respective websites. You will have to create a account and then you can access these tests.

Manhattan GMAT has 6 practice tests in all, of which 1 is free. The remaining 5 MGMAT Tests have to bought. If you buy any of the GMAT Strategy Guides first hand, then you don't have to pay for the 5 additional MGMAT tests.

Euros, which all book did you use to study? I am in the very step for GMAT, collecting books which I would need to get a decent score in GMAT.

Thanks a ton!

The answer to your question depends on what are your areas of weaknesses and strengths as far as GMAT is concerned.
Official Guide 12th Edition is a good book. Regarded as bible by most people.
For SC: MGMAT's SC Strategy Guide
For CR: Powerscore CR Bible

Since you are just beginning, the very first thing you should do as soon as you get OG is that write the Diagnostic Test.
I will also suggest that you take a full length Computer Adaptive Test (pick one from any of the above websites) within first 3-4 days of your preparation.

Hope this helps
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks a ton!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
-------------------------------------------------------
..............................Raw Score........Percentile
-------------------------------------------------------
Quantitative...............49....................86

Verbal........................40....................89

Overall......................730...................96
------------------------------------------------------

... t

Here is how I scored in my practice tests:

MGMAT 1 ......10/09 : Q-13 (02%)...V-26 (44%) Overall - 390 11%
Knewton 1 .....06/10 : Q-42 (62%)...V-26 (39%) Overall - 560 57%
Princeton 1 ....07/10 : Q-47 (62%)...V-37 (39%) Overall - 680
GMAT Prep 1 .12/10:Q-46 ...V-33 Overall - 650
MGMAT 2 .......19/10 : Q-47 (81%)...V-41 (93%) Overall - 720 96%
MGMAT 3 .......23/10 : Q-46 (79%)...V-39 (89%) Overall - 700 93% (Reduced time - 73' per section)
MGMAT 4 .......25/10 : Q-44 (73%)...V-33 (69%) Overall - 640 80% (Reduced time - 72' per section)
MGMAT 5 .......27/10 : Q-44 (73%)...V-24 (72%) Overall - 640 80%
GMAT Prep 2 .30/10 : Q-44 ... V-38 Overall - 680
GMAT Prep 1 (Repeat) .01/11 : Overall - 700 (Result skewed upwards)

-Micahel Jackson

How and where do we take these practice tests mentioned above? Are these free or do we need to pay for it?

Thanks!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks Buddy.

Thanks for your advice.

You see my habit of seeing things in a particular way screws things !! Generally, scores are written with Q and V break up , so I assumed you scored 49 in verbal !!

This is an interesting strategy. You see, you got to combine all the concepts together rather than just focus on a particular topic. As you suggested, it is a good idea to go though all the chapters and then try OG questions. Much appreciated.:cheers:

BTW, which schools are you applying to ?

Thank you very much somesh. BTW, I got 49 on Quant and not Verbal. The support I got from PG and fellow Puys has been very important factor in getting a good GMAT score.

I don't think I interpret your question completely. However, I will still try to answer it to the best of my understanding.

I did not attempt OG questions mentioned at the end of each chapter of MGMAT's SC guide. I was trying to save the questions from OG for timed practice sessions (for which I was not left with any time eventually).

The way I used SC Strategy guide was:
1) Read each chapter and develop understanding of concepts.
2) If needed, I would jot down the important concepts in my notebook. For instance, the use of "if" and "whether" and "between" viz a viz "among".
3) Sincerely solve the exercise at the end of each chapter. I took these exercises pretty seriously. In fact, I had made a photocopy set consisting just of exercises at the end of each chapter. I used the photocopy set to scribble my answers on it and then compared them to solutions provided in the book.

I just did the very first chapter (Ch.11) of the advanced section. The advanced section is really time-taking and difficult to remember. I had to abort reading the book because my test-date was fast approaching. If I had more time, I would have definitely continued reading.

Hope this helps!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...