Round 1 applicants here - Michigan etal.

47 Posts  ·  17 Users
About this group
I finally submitted my application to Michigan(Ross) in time for Round 1, although my 11th hour rush changed my Diwali this year! Had interviewed earlier with a Second Year Student in October and got a TOEFL waiver over the phone. GMAT scores...
Page 1 of 5

Thanks guys 😃
Considering that everything goes as planned, I plan to join Wharton this Fall !

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

MBA2006, Man you are on fire!
Undisputed International Khiladi of the Fall 2006 session...
You have to let us in on atleast some of your secrets...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
MBA2006 Says
I got accepted at Ross.. Saw this msg today only !

Wow! Congratulations!!
Wharton, Yale and now Michigan. Spare something for us man!

I know you are looking for Finance concentration. So, where are you headed??
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Congratulations ! I guess , my guess of were you are headed is not going to be wrong 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
MBA2006 Says

Congrats d00d! 😁 So thats 2 in the bag: W and Ross! Thats awesome!

Which of these is on top of ur list? Any other results expected?

Uday
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Don't worry! You should do well as your app has already touched the WL rope at Duke. The information was meant for all the viewers of this thread.

I did apply to Duke R1 and had a ding from there too so Darden, it would be.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Sorry to hear that Vipin. And thanks for sharing the info from Ross; anyway, my application is already in, and cant do any changes even if I want :)

Which other schools are you waiting for? I know you have an admit from UVA-Darden. Have you applied to Duke?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

This might help people who are plannig to reapply/apply anywhere, not just Ross.

Should you wish to reapply, we want to share with you the process for reapplying and an overview of specific things to think about as you consider increasing the competitiveness of your reapplication.
Reapplication Process

We keep all of your materials for two years-this includes transcripts, essays, recommendations, scores, interview report, etc. Therefore, if you reapply within two years of your original application, the reapplication process is simplified:

1. As part of the reapplication, we require you to submit an updated resume, new application forms and one new letter of recommendation, along with the application fee, in order to be considered for admission.
  2. Additionally, we ask that you submit a detailed cover letter that tells us what you have been doing since you last applied and how your application is stronger. You can use the cover letter to reiterate your goals, highlight your accomplishments, and discuss your objectives for a Ross MBA, etc. Essentially, you can use the cover letter to address whatever issues you wish.
  3. Rewriting your essays is not required; but if enough has changed since you first applied, or you feel your writing style in your original essays was poor, we recommend that you update one or more of your essays.
If you reapply after more than two years from your original application, you will need to prepare a brand new application, including re-interviewing, transcripts, new essays, etc.
GMAT test scores are valid for five years from the date you took the test to the deadline date when you apply; scores over five years old are not acceptable.
Deadlines for reapplying are the same as the published deadlines for applying. You can use the online system to reapply.
Reapplication Tips

Due to the size of our applicant pool, it is not possible for the Admissions Committee to provide personal feedback appointments for all of our denied candidates. However, presented below are some points for you to consider if you are planning to reapply to Ross next year. While all of the points might not be relevant to your case, we hope that some are meaningful as you reflect on how to make your application more competitive.
Goals or "Why an MBA"-Many times applicants have not identified their goals as well as they could. Although business school gives you the opportunity to explore career options, and you can certainly change your mind while you are in the program, we are looking for people who have a strong sense of what it means to earn an MBA and have a good idea of how this course of study fits their plans. You may want to consider doing informational interviews with people you know who have an MBA. Also, visiting business schools is a way to learn more. Another great resource is www.wetfeet.com, a website that provides information on MBA careers.
Co-Creating your Ross MBA-We are looking for strong evidence that you have done research on our program, and/or have networked with alumni, students, and staff in order to gain a sense of what Ross is about, and why you feel it is the best fit for you. You can do this by visiting Ross in person, attending our receptions or forums, reviewing our materials and website, etc. We seek students who are interested in making a unique contribution to the community here at Ross, as well as in the broader community throughout your life. We want students who will take action to create an experience that is robust and individualized. Providing generic reasons for Ross, especially when we could easily substitute the name of another top school into the statement, is not helpful.
Recommendations-In general, your recommendations should be from a supervisor who knows your work well and is able to comment on your professional and managerial skills. They should have a good understanding of why you want an MBA and why Ross, in particular. They should provide specific examples to support their statements. Recommendations from faculty are usually less impactful.
Achievements-Your accomplishments should come across strongly in your resume, essays, recommendations, and interview. We want to see your track record of success and understand how you have made an impact on your organization. Your leadership, teamwork skills and experience need to be evident. Stating that your significant professional accomplishment was a promotion is less effective than helping us understand what you did to get promoted, or how you have impacted your organization since that time. Similarly, passing a certification exam, such as the CPA, while very impressive, does not often provide good content for an achievement essay, as we are able to recognize that accomplishment from your resume. It is better to tell us how that has helped you in other achievements in your career.
GMAT/GPA-The GMAT and GPA are components of the application that help us assess an applicant's ability to handle the rigor of our program. If your GMAT score is less than our average, you may want to consider retaking it as a way of improving the competitiveness of your file. Regarding your undergraduate performance, if your background is less quantitative, or if you struggled in some of your coursework, you may want to consider taking some quantitative classes in preparation. If you haven't yet met our calculus requirement, consider enrolling in that course. Finally, if your undergraduate performance is less than stellar, you can use the optional essay to address the situation.
Interview-If you did not interview as part of your original application, we highly recommend that you do so as part of your reapplication. Be sure to schedule it early, as interviews are on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you did interview, we keep the interview report on file for two years; you should not interview again. We only accept one interview every two years. If you have concern that your interview was part of the reason you were denied admission, you can note that to us in your reapplication. If necessary, we will reach out to you to re-interview.
Strategy-Finally, while we hope that your interest in Ross continues, we think it is important that you have a strategy when reapplying. Specifically, it is important that you choose a mix of schools to which to apply so that you have choices in the end. Review the schools' information, profiles, etc. to gain a sense for the competitiveness of the pool, and perhaps more importantly, which schools have the environment and approach to management education that resonates with you and provides a community where you want to spend not just the next two years, but have a lifelong relationship.

Unquote >
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Tried again and the website worked...DING confirmed.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...