Rice MBA 2008 - Interviews & Admissions

87 Posts  ·  25 Users
About this group
Hi guys I have received an admit from Rice with $10000 schol per year. Anybody else here.........planning to join Rice! Lets start interactinng :wow:
Page 1 of 9

Hey Rice aspirants,

Here goes the interview experience of one of my close buddy who has scored 720 in CAT and applied in couple of schools - India, US, Singapore etc.

Hope it helps !

Interview Link : http://www.pawanverma.com/2010/02/09/mba-interview-author-james-bond/

Regards,
Pawan

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Unotaz, thanks for the info. have u submitted ur deposits?

I don't have any scholarships. I am looking for loan options. If anyone has any info, please update.

I heard that it will take 1-12 months to do COS(change of status) from H1 to F1 in US. Anyone has any update on this issue?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
I received only one email. Then I think I didn't receive any scholarships. Its always better to apply in earlier rounds!!

Did anyone decide to join Rice. Have you paid your deposits? I haven't yet received the package, so I am not sure abt the initial steps.

After receiving your initial email notification from Adcom, you will be receiving a full (big) binder with all of the relevant information on Rice MBA. Included in this binder are: your official offer letter, schedule outline, course outline with specialization options, International student detail, health form instructions, F1 Visa stuff, housing in Houston, a introductory CD on Houston, Immersion material and etc.

There should also be two separate sheets asking you for the deposit for securing a place at Rice. You could either submit a full deposit of $2500, or in two steps ($800 and $1700) at the indicated dates. I believe the deadlines are April 25th and May 9th.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I received only one email. Then I think I didn't receive any scholarships. Its always better to apply in earlier rounds!!

Did anyone decide to join Rice. Have you paid your deposits? I haven't yet received the package, so I am not sure abt the initial steps.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi all
I got admit for Rice MBA today. I applied in Round 3. I got an email from adcom but there was no info abt scholarships. Did anyone who received scholar this year got it in the admission package or u got it in the email itself?

As I recall, I got two separate emails when I received my admit from Adcom. The first email was the general one that tells you have been admitted to the Rice MBA program. The second email was a personal email from Admission Director telling me that I received scholarship along with my admissions.

You should be able to receive the full Rice MBA binder in the next couple of days as well.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi all
I got admit for Rice MBA today. I applied in Round 3. I got an email from adcom but there was no info abt scholarships. Did anyone who received scholar this year got it in the admission package or u got it in the email itself?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks Unotaz. you are right, application round matters a lot. I will apply in 1st round next year and will try to improve my gmat if possible.

Poonam,
You definitely have a strong work background. It's just that this year's applicants have gone up significantly, mostly because of the bad economy in the US. If you have the time, you can retry the GMAT, but it's not something that I would worry about. I think the fact that you applied in the later rounds made your chances of getting in that much more difficult.

Remember to apply for the first or second round next year, you should be able to get into a great school with ease!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Poonam,
You definitely have a strong work background. It's just that this year's applicants have gone up significantly, mostly because of the bad economy in the US. If you have the time, you can retry the GMAT, but it's not something that I would worry about. I think the fact that you applied in the later rounds made your chances of getting in that much more difficult.

Remember to apply for the first or second round next year, you should be able to get into a great school with ease!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks Unotaz. I too believed that its overall application which matters. But, GMAT score is certainly very very important to B-schools specially in R3. From my experience I beleive that I need to improve my score if I want to get into a good B-school ( outside India).
My profile is good otherwise:
B.Tech from IIT
Work ex. 4 yrs in a leading PSU
almost 1year as Business Analyst in Energy vertical

My negatives: low GMAT and No International work ex.

I am sorry to hear that, but I would be surprised to see you get rejected solely based on your GMAT score. From my previous conversation with AdCom when I visited Rice, I know they are looking at this year's average to be around 680, but still, 10pts is nothing in my opinion. Don't be too hard on yourself. Remember, if they don't want you, you don't want them!

Cheers! :grin:
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Poonam,

sorry to hear this news; I agree with unotaz that your score might not be the culprit. 670 is a good score for a university such as Rice especially for a women. I thing the main problem might have been that you applied in the late round. if you had applied in the first two rounds, i am sure the result would have been much different.

its much easier said than done but you should try to find the positive in this unfortunate development. Now you have the experience and also have few more months to take the GMAT and develop essay stories and application strategy and apply to much higher ranked schools. its already mid-april and in four months the new round of applications would start and if you have your application ready by then and apply in early decision/first round you will be well rewarded for your effort and will definitely get admitted to one of your top choice schools.

It's a tough break but i am sure you will succeed if you stay focused and persist. Good luck

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...