Retaking the GMAT.. does it Really harm your admission chances?

23 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
Hey, _Before I start, I'd like to inform the mods that I've searched for this topic, but couldn't find anything to answer my question. I'm sure someone's asked this before, but I can't find it. If someone knows where the req. info's at, please d...
Page 1 of 3

Hi friends ,
I am new on the ride to GMAT.
I have one doubt .it goes like this...
In case an applicant appears GMAT for 2 times and score and as below.

(1) 600
(2) 700

Then his score will be average of two scores i.e 650. I think it happens in case of GRE.

Does this thing happens in GMAT also or the best of all the scores is considered for admissions.

Regards
Vibhuti

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

i knew the guy since the first post he made in international section...

i missed his ''introduce yourself'' wala post. i should at least have checked the post where he got ''thanks''

haha crime master gogo :robot:
i love that movie too.

GMAT Blog http://gmat.amrute.me
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@HH

Wish you ATB, pl make sure you don't cram too much in the last few days keep it cool, calm, and relaxed, don't lose your instinct, im sure you will make it. :)

:D Interesting history of your name :D

@aim

I guessed he was indian coz location was the Land of Mumbai.. ammm avoiding Hindi is a good bet anyway.. Thx for suggesting..

Keep posting guys,
Abhi.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Hatori
I took the GMAT twice inside 45 days(yeah....bad planning and crunched for time to meet deadlines).... improved my score by only 20(1 mark more in the verbal, no change in quants:satisfie: )..... Wanted to apply to about 6 schools, ended up applying to only one and got an admit.....

Not much of takeaway from my story except that its a good thing that you have plenty of time to write the GMAT the second time if you want to.... I think the majority of schools are just happy to take your highest score..... What are your target schools? Advantage with people on this forum is that somebody or other has done detailed research on almost all known international schools..... so junta might be able to tell if school A or B is particular about GMAT retakes(I am totally surprised by the Tuck info about them taking highest sectionals from different tests btw)

Its a good thing you have decided to give the GMAT on your planned date......go for it

All the best for your GMAT....

-

Just the kind of post I was looking for.
Thanks mate.. I'm sure I'll be putting up a thread on the 31st

On a different note - your nickname comes from Hatori Hanzo of Kill Bill fame ?? :)

Edit - another point to note and what all PG members will tell you(some already have on this thread), is that GMAT is just one part of your application...you said you have unique work profile.... don't lose too much sleep if you don't get that 700+ score and managed your target of 600+

Yup, from Kill Bill. Hattori Hanzo was also a Ninja of an old Japanese clan, the Tokugawa.. he killed his master and hence turned Ronin.
Here's a bit from Wikipedia -
Hanzo was born a samurai vassal of the Matsudaira (later Tokugawa) clan; he would later earn the nickname Oni no Hanz (Devil Hanzo) because of the ferocity he displayed in battle.
Hatori Hanso is also my work name..

-HH

p.s : Useless fact
Hattori Hanz is the name of a dance bar in Herzliya, Israel.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Hatori
I took the GMAT twice inside 45 days(yeah....bad planning and crunched for time to meet deadlines).... improved my score by only 20(1 mark more in the verbal, no change in quants:satisfie: )..... Wanted to apply to about 6 schools, ended up applying to only one and got an admit.....

Not much of takeaway from my story except that its a good thing that you have plenty of time to write the GMAT the second time if you want to.... I think the majority of schools are just happy to take your highest score..... What are your target schools? Advantage with people on this forum is that somebody or other has done detailed research on almost all known international schools..... so junta might be able to tell if school A or B is particular about GMAT retakes(I am totally surprised by the Tuck info about them taking highest sectionals from different tests btw)

Its a good thing you have decided to give the GMAT on your planned date......go for it

All the best for your GMAT....

-

On a different note - your nickname comes from Hatori Hanzo of Kill Bill fame ?? :)

Edit - another point to note and what all PG members will tell you(some already have on this thread), is that GMAT is just one part of your application...you said you have unique work profile.... don't lose too much sleep if you don't get that 700+ score and managed your target of 600+

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Aim -

I'm glad you think it's ridiculous, but you must understand, that since this is a very important decision, I cannot leave it up to just one person's opinion/advice/input. The more the merrier.

juss for clarification: your post is not ridiculous but the quote of some people you mentioned...

@Aim bhai - apun ekdum desi, ;)

You surprised me big time :shock: :wow:
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Everyone else - thank you. I've decided to give my GMAT on the 31st after all. If it doesn't go too well... eh.. well.. there's always next time. The retaking options' got me a lot less stressed, which makes it easier for me to study... :)
One thing about being on PG - It actually scared me more in the beginning.. One has to sift through things very carefully to get what they need here. Everyone needs a different approach.

Thanks,
HH

@Aim bhai - apun ekdum desi, ;)

Now that you will be going for the kill good luck the time in hand is sufficient for you to put up a good performance and dont think about the outcome at all during the test. Just to add in - avoid visiting this thread before the 31st. I would like to see a new thread on 31st ;)

~S
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Aim -
Like I said before - Thank you. I appreciate you're input. However, I re-asked the question so that new visitors to the thread could help me by answering my initial question about the 'Effects of Retaking', and not going down the "To reschedule or not route".
While that was definitely the bigger question, it was one for myself, and not for my fellow puys to answer.. All I needed was information to clear up an misconception I had. (don't mean to sound harsh here..)

I'm glad you think it's ridiculous, but you must understand, that since this is a very important decision, I cannot leave it up to just one person's opinion/advice/input. The more the merrier.

@Everyone else - thank you. I've decided to give my GMAT on the 31st after all. If it doesn't go too well... eh.. well.. there's always next time. The retaking options' got me a lot less stressed, which makes it easier for me to study... :)
One thing about being on PG - It actually scared me more in the beginning.. One has to sift through things very carefully to get what they need here. Everyone needs a different approach.

Thanks,
HH

@Aim bhai - apun ekdum desi, 😉

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Lot has been said about retaking the GMAT, but I would agree with aim, if you think so much about retaking and worrying about the score, (god forbid) you might end up thinking the same while you take the test and your fears will be proved right.

Abhi has again rightly said that GMAT is just one of the parameters for getting an admit. However you might want to look at what some of the seniors have said about the score, if you are not getting a score which the top 80% of the students at your target college have then you might consider retaking it.

If you are aiming for 700+ and you haven't touched 700 (A 680 or 690 is very close discount that) in either of GMATprep, powerprep or Princeton (they appear to be the closest to the actual GMAT), you might not be able to achieve your target score. Further, worry of the score will certainly negatively affect your chances of getting a good one. Hence you might consider posponing it (retake is obviously more costly).

Last suggestion from my side , try and consolidate your scores (reduce the variation) and relax so that you do it carefully but in a relaxed frame of mind when you attempt it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

sorry for my not-so-polite replies yesterday... 😞 was travelling ...

anyways,
abhi, no hindi pls. 😃 the thread starter is not indian. right Hatori?

comment from HH is needed. 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...