Relevance of six sigma for managers

9 Posts  ·  5 Users
About this group
All of us have heard of six sigma, and might have done a few courses on it too. But I wonder if it has any significance for managers. Should managers become black belts or green belts in six sigma? Will it be a value add? Is six sigma better...
Page 1 of 1
Crash_test_dummy Says
a very unconventional example...but a very appropriate one! good thinking!

thank u dude!!!!!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Mr Strategy Says
Would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on six sigma vendors

Umm..When I started out, thinking that a green belt certification will be good for students of IIM Lucknow and approached the Operations Interest Group, I was told that firms themselved certify their green belts, and that no external agency is involved. ie, patni will say that so and so is now a green belt in six sigma. But I thought that this was highly improbable. I can set up my own firm tomorrow (giri inc) and say that I am a master black belt.This raises the question '"who certifies the six sigma professionals?""six sigma vendors" is the answer to the question. They conduct tests, probably even train your employees in six sigma, and then certify the employees. There are many such vendors, KPMG being one.In IIFT, there is a full course on training its students for green belt. and its vendor is KPMG.What I am looking for are real life examples. Gunners has given me a very good example here, saying that all GE managers have to undergo six sigma training. Are there more such firms? Can I convince my peers here in IIM Lucknow that getting at least a green belt in Six Sigma will be a cutting edge? A definite value add? Even for finance managers? That's my question.Can I create demand for six sigma training in a BSchool?cheersgiri

a very unconventional example...but a very appropriate one! good thinking!

HI all,
I just came across this thread, and saw ome nice talks going here.
Well i wont say much but that, the SIX SIGMA is just a way of thinking, it not only helps one to solve problems at their workplace but also teaches one to see the problems in a diffrent manner. For example, we tend start thinking about the olution before knowing what really the problem is....but when we dont even undersatnd the problem, how can we solve it. If i quote an example here......if we go to a place where say "rice" is not called rice but "bhat", which we dont know,and we go to market and ask for "rice". the shopkeeper wont understand and say that its not avaliable. We will the go to some diffrent shop and the same will be repetated again, we would be annoyed and might think that ppl over there dont eat rice at all, but the real problem is that they dont call it rice.
Sorry my example might be a bit wired. but i guess i am able to tell what i wanted to.
anyways....i just wanted to say that SIX SIGMA is not any tecnique to solve every problem in the world, but yes it gives a new prespective towards the problem solving.

Cheers,
Vaibhav
SCMHRD

hi, i think six sigma is relevant to both general and operations managers, but it might be MORE relevant to operations managers and quality assurance employees. i dont know much about your question though.

if you`re getting a six sigma training at your company or a free training at your college....just grab it! six sigma trainings are very expensive if you pay from your own pocket and it`s quite difficult to convince you company to sponsor you. so if u`re getting it for free or reduced cost at your insti, take it!

and yeah i`d like to get that list of six sigma vendors. i`ll pm u my mail id. thanks a lot.

Crash_test_dummy has given a good overview of 6 sigmahere would like to add in that Six-Sigma is a data-driven quality measure that strives for a near perfection of any process (from operations to finance to any business process). Its a tool, a measurement system, a problem solving approach and a discplined change process.

As highlighted 6 Sigma professionals (Green Belt and above) are always sought after.

seshagiri Says
And if you want a list of six sigma vendors, i can extend the list to you. just let me know

Would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on six sigma vendors
seshagiri Says
Thanks yar, you have given me a very good boost. In fact, IIFT also has a green belt training in place.What i need to know at this point is whether six sigma is relevant only for operations managers or for ALL managers. Though what you have said points to the relevance for general management, I think more discussion will give greater details.And if you want a list of six sigma vendors, i can extend the list to you. just let me know

hi, i think six sigma is relevant to both general and operations managers, but it might be MORE relevant to operations managers and quality assurance employees. i dont know much about your question though.

if you`re getting a six sigma training at your company or a free training at your college....just grab it! six sigma trainings are very expensive if you pay from your own pocket and it`s quite difficult to convince you company to sponsor you. so if u`re getting it for free or reduced cost at your insti, take it!

and yeah i`d like to get that list of six sigma vendors. i`ll pm u my mail id. thanks a lot.

Thanks yar, you have given me a very good boost. In fact, IIFT also has a green belt training in place.What i need to know at this point is whether six sigma is relevant only for operations managers or for ALL managers. Though what you have said points to the relevance for general management, I think more discussion will give greater details.And if you want a list of six sigma vendors, i can extend the list to you. just let me know

hi,

excellent thread...very relevant to me at least.

i`m at this small firm where we`re still trying to set up some good practices and define measurable processes and improve our quality. in the process, i came across six sigma and i think it`s an awsome branch of management studies.

six sigma concepts can definitely be applied to everyday managerial decisions. Basically, six sigma would define a framework of how activities should be performed in a systematic manner so that output variance is minimized. using this framework, benchmarks are set and processes are defined, that result in least possible errors.

i think managers can use it in daily life in the following ways:

1. Defining new processes based on six sigma guidelines.
2. measuring performance, efficiency, productivity, etc using the statistical tools of six sigma.
3. Setting benchmarks and target quality standards and drawing long term plans to reach those goals.
4. using six sigma practices as a brand building exercise. Clients come in droves when a company can establish even a 4 sigma credibility.

however, i found this to be a very vast and complicated field of study...u need to know at least basic statistics, if not advanced. some training is definitely required, otherwise u`ll just be lost. it is a definite value add to have a six sigma certification. plus, it gives a huge impetus to the resume: big companies lap up managers with sigma certifications. But mind you, these trainings are very expensive. the better option would be to convince your company/college to sponsor you as a six sigma student.

All of us have heard of six sigma, and might have done a few courses on it too. But I wonder if it has any significance for managers. Should managers become black belts or green belts in six sigma? Will it be a value add?

Is six sigma better left to the technical staff or is it a management tool that can be used anywhere, even in day to day management decisions?

Please let us discuss on this for managers in general and operations managers in particular.