Regarding PHD in Finance

31 Posts  ·  22 Users
About this group
Hi All, need some help from u guys.. Do any one have any info about college/universities from where i can do Phd ( Finance ) without leaving job.... i m MBA ( Finance ) . and have 1 yr of work exp.... please help me guys... thanks
Page 1 of 4
Hi Anirudh,
I have been searching without much success about details regarding isb's caf research program. what do they look for in their prospective applicants while inducting new researchers? is academic pedigree very important? I read once that unless one is from IIMs, IITs, ISI,etc, they don't have much chance of getting selected. I am a b.a. statistics honours and am currently pursuing masters in computational finance. no research experience till now.
my academic career has been average at best.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Ani

I have a M.Sc in mathematics.

I would like to know the difference between a PhD in mathematical finance from maths department and a theoretical finance PhD( I hope it's not an oxymoron) from a business school.

Does any university in India offers PhD in mathematical finance in India?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Ugc rules are bogus..also certain all india rules need to be looked at becasue every university in india is different. Like the marking scheme here in C.U is so different than from various other universities. So that needs to be looked in also.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am really fed up of this stupid rule of ugc of 6 months classes coz of which a employed person like me will have to leave 6 months salary which is a 2 lac rs loss
dunno why this required for Phd. UGC

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks a lot Anirudh, really appreciate your effort!!!

I have just gone through the entire thread and ISB's CFA site, and I learn that only 2-3 admits are allowed to conduct their research in finance. So, this wud fairly be a competitive for any newcomer who is interested in persuing a career in research & analysis. As you also mentioned, we really do not have world class facilities currently to conduct PhD programmes in India.
Now, would you like to mentioned programmes across the world, leaving top 10 Ivy league colleges in US(coz its really difficult to secure an admission!), which you really find are good in terms of their quality in empirical research and also comparitively less competitive in terms of admissions. I am from a NIT passed out engg working in IT, score 700+ but with a desire to search a field research where i can have life long learning experience at work.
Thanks again!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hello Everyone,

i am an MBA grad passed out in 2008, working with MNC bank. i am looking for PHd programm in finance from india abroad.

can any advice me the decent universities and their procedures.

Really thank full to you

Try ISB's FPM programme in collaboration with INSEAD.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello Everyone,

i am an MBA grad passed out in 2008, working with MNC bank. i am looking for PHd programm in finance from india abroad.

can any advice me the decent universities and their procedures.

Really thank full to you

1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
First of all I would like to apologise for the mode of presentation..........What all I said and the interpretations that I derived about you, though true....were presented in a harsh and brutal manner.....It could have been done in a more polite manner.......actually your "AFRAID" point didn't went down well with me.....
Again your 'A$$' point didn't went well.....but this time I would certainly be much more polite.....and whether it gets caried forward, depends entirely on you...........
Moreover, India is not your country, instead our country.....
I haven't said anything against India, instead against government's institutions in the management domain............
India certainly has been able to create great research standards in the biology, Chemical Sciences, space technology, nuclear technology, etc. domain.........But etc. certainly doesn't include management domain.....
The emotions being put forward by you, are nothing more than a Chemical Reaction in your mind.......But FACTS are FACTS...........FACTS are not chemical reactions.......
And the matter of Fact is that Government's Premiere Management Institutions are pathetic with respect to their research standards..........But certainly India is not blank w.r.t. to quality research institutions....there are two of them and both of them are private......Only thing is that ISB is not a recoganised body so it cannot offer a doctoral or its equivalent.....BUt GLIM is.....and it will certainly start one in the next 5-6 years......
No wonder why there are 17000 people from India who go to the US for doctorals....Out of these there are somewhere 8000 in the finance and management domain.............What don't they go into IIMs??????? FACTS!!!!!!
The people who go in for FPM(PhD equivalent) of IIMs doesn't enjoy a good future....this is the picture of the FPMs(PhDs) from IIMs on a broader level...........FACTS!!!!!!!
Its only upto the Top-2 Private Institutions to provide India some dignity in the Management Research Domain, and they are doing that well........Certainly India will be best in the management domain, but this won't be done by Government's Institutions, instead by non-government bodies like GLIM and ISB..............until and unless governments bring in major reforms and give IIMs absolute-freedom in operations........which certainly is not likely to happen in the nearly future.........Though the government has plans to bring in reforms in the education sector....but that doesn't include IIMs in a big way.........Its is allowing private profitable institutions to set up their shops in India(till now only private non-profitable institutions were allowed).........Moreover, foreign universities will also be allowed to set up there campuses in Inida......Acceptance on the part of the government that its institutions have failed to provide quality in a big way(in their own league w.r.t. their international counterparts).......FACTS!!!!!!!!!

I believe that after this long gyan you would have been able to realise that you certainly need to broaden your perspective and learn to accomodation FACTS and opinions which are against your own belief system.........Sometimes we are so rigid with our mindset that we don't let FACTS get in our way.......It happens with everyone, even with me.....but I am certainly quick to realise that I need to accomodate opinions and FACTS of others........and broaden my perspective........

One more thing, I have often observed that people in PagalGuy have too much of a money minded and security oriented mindset.....Nowadays everyone wants to work in the Investment Banking Industry.....99% of such people won't even be able to explain the job profile of an Investment Banker....the kind of life one lives in a field like Investment Banking.........
I didn't wanted the same to happen with a PhD from an International University........That's why I've used such a harsh language with the replies to your questions........People at large must make it clear to themselves the kind of life that one lives in a field like research.....and what a doctoral is all about...........

Regards,
GOd BLess YOu TOo........

Dear Anirudh , after a long long time I have seen a person at PG who has the gumption to explain a concept (it being the motive to do a simple PhD) in the most cogent manner , and the way you replied to the unnecessary criticism bestowed is exemplary , I totally agree with your observations regarding the expectations + maturity level of a majority of youngsters seeking a quality Management education ........ROI should be calculated but not at the cost of money but should be done by gauging one's own interest ......
The eternal seeker.....
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

ISB has launched its own doctoral programme in collaboration with Insead. Interns will get a stipend of 40000 p.m. during the programme. Refer ISB website for details.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello!

I am a Company Secretary and working in a company based at Ahmedabad.

Presently I am pursuing my MBA (Finance) from Symbiosis, Pune and want to go for PhD in Finance.

I have gone through your posts in the forum, it has guided me a lot. However, still I have confusion.

As I am doing a job, whether I should go for full time PhD or part-time. I also don't know any person who can be guide me for my PhD program.

Is there any university abroad which can help me for my PhD in distance learning way? and if yes, what will be the procedure for the same?

Thank in advance.

With Warm Regards,

CS. Ashish Shah

1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...