Ragging in Best B-Schools

13 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
HI junta, Theres lot of news making these days i.ee ragging :: .How about it in the country's best B schools .:neutral: Post your comments............. ::
Page 1 of 2

Most of the ragging happens when the seniors & juniors are closely in contact with each other outside of college hours - something that happens in hostels, be it UG, PG or Bschools.

With many Bschools touting their 'residential' tag like a medal, they do not see the attached problems: the continuous interactions with seniors and juniors. After a point in time, this starts to hurt, and gets taken out in form of ragging. It can be as simple as the *interactions* I spoke about, or the very serious activity Apurv spoke about. (I and Apurv have also interacted on a personal level about this matter, and what he told me about this is quite, quite disturbing for the names he took.) Many of these Bschools take the high moral ground that it exists, but cannot stop it from occuring.

One thing that can happen, on a more official level, is to ensure that either the seniors, or the juniors, are too busy to have any free time. SCMHRD & Sadhana have done this; much to the students' consternation, though. On the other hand, I think, is it that necessary to have a residential tag attached? JBIMS is doing very well, thank you.

Interactions take place at many levels: A Bschool went to a canteen near their Campus: they didn't have the place to house all classes together to hold the *interaction*. We held it in our common room. I believe the IIMs hold it in their 'quads', or the grounds between buildings.

But Ragging, with a capital R? The state has been kind enough to put in legislation banning it (Ask me - that notice was put on our notice boards for months - it may still be there!) but still the fact is that it exists. What can be done? At one college, as a junior, I've been kind enough to tell my seniors to back off - I've got contacts, et al. kind of stuff. On the other hand, as seniors, we made a sort of a monitoring group, which ensured that our peers didn't act stupidly with our juniors. I plan to continue this in my Bschool as well.

But fact is, in a Bschool, especially mine, the juniors just don't have free time. I met some other Bschoolers in Pune at Mocha, in early Sept. Poor girls - fresh out from grad college, this was their first outing ever from their residential Bschool - fifteen minutes from the cafe. First. How can they have time to get ragged?

Regards,
Grondmaster

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Am generalising here for the sake of over-simplifying this topic.

Ragging is generally associated with undergraduate degrees where the real-life practical experience hasn't really permeated into the classrooms.

MBA's are meant to be be a combination of theory and practice...a reflection of the more mature mindsets that students carry into the programs. So when most postings on this thread say, ragging is non-existent on their campuses, it doesn't come as a surprise. These are some of the best in India and essentially because of the quality of students they tend to attract.

Technical degrees (B.Tech, B.Engg etc) are a different breed...but when it comes to MBA, think twice before applying to bschools that have a reputation of harbouring a thriving ragging culture.

You would be really *surprised* to learn the reality of how some of the *top* schools that attract *quality* students fare on the rag-'o-meter !
Yes. You are bang on when u said how ragging is associated with u/g degrees, but sadly, real life experience seems to have served some in ways unexpected :

And before any of ya pounce back saying nothing happens, Like Apurv mentioned earlier, It is indeed an issue which definitely affects some. :
|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||
Am generalising here for the sake of over-simplifying this topic.

Ragging is generally associated with undergraduate degrees where the real-life practical experience hasn't really permeated into the classrooms.

MBA's are meant to be be a combination of theory and practice...a reflection of the more mature mindsets that students carry into the programs. So when most postings on this thread say, ragging is non-existent on their campuses, it doesn't come as a surprise. These are some of the best in India and essentially because of the quality of students they tend to attract.

Technical degrees (B.Tech, B.Engg etc) are a different breed...but when it comes to MBA, think twice before applying to bschools that have a reputation of harbouring a thriving ragging culture.
Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb

Ragging: is ambiguous, You should define it, what can be called as ragging and so on.
But as far as i have known ragging being in a Boarding school then in Engg College, Life in a MBA school is safe, friendly, and good. Its a comparsion.

Whatever happens can be termed as Interaction session to break the ice. For some, who are Egoistic and for people from royal lineage it can feel like a Punch, and attack on their sentiments. Nothing is physical here. Its like you are asked to write a SWOT Analysis of a Girl. Then while introducing yourself you are asked to sing a song or crack a joke. ANd if you say that your hobby is Cricket, you are grilled on cricket and if you dont really answer then you are asked to submit some assignment related to cricket. e.g A write up on Sachin etc.

Even coming for interaction session is at your discretion, you can choose not to come..because these interaction sessions are called after 10 PM at a place, where the whole junior batch comes and so on .
Time is a constraint here both for juniors as well as seniors. Then there is possibility that juniors have more work-ex and are elder, so ragging is ruled out.

Then all this session becomes more of a session wherein seniors try to become so called mentor of juniors and tell them what awaits them ahead. This sessions are used as a excuse to tell the juniors that we have undergone so much of hardship and so on. Seniors offer tricks to survive and free advices. So more so seniors try to showcase their survival skills and intelligence, which in all probability the juniors would have more. So rather than ragging the juniors , seniors waste their time instead.But all in all its fun pulling someone's legs and finding fault..

grondmaster Says
I was told to introduce myself like a 'bhai', twirling my keyring in my fingers... All in jest, so that we got to know each other.

:wow:
Nows that something i need to have a look at! Any pics or videos recorded? ;)

But on a serious front ragging would certainly be far different that what we endured in our engg years, certainly for the better.
@stingrae, Ragging does exist, even in IIMs i believe. But on a funnier front. One of my close friend whoz in one of the iims current batch has pics on his orkut profile of various activities as *dancing*, or getting a fellow batchmate *married*; i believe these type of activities which mostly are used to break the ice would be present in most B-schools. If that's what we are referring to as ragging, then that's definitely wrong! 😃

This is an interesting thread and I should explain why that poll was put up on the portal.

Each year, we get distress emails from freshers victimised by ragging from a whole lot of B-schools, right from the top ones to middle-rung. We just cannot ignore them because most of them are from girls who have horrifying stories to tell about the collective demeanours of the male population touching nadir. We know that these distress emails are not hoaxes pulled of by competing B-schools because we exchange communication with these people on their official school email IDs. These are real stories and they are not of the mild variety that grondmaster describes.

One similar episode on PG in 2004 had received huge media attention and I believe most people here know about it.

I know that everybody reading this post must be wondering why I am not coming out with names to support my claims and I agree that it is a legitimate thing to wonder about. I can only say that these are very damaging stories and making them public requires a lot of fact-checking and then there are many complicaitons involved. But not very far from now, we shall have that kind of resource and a sensitization initiative for freshers and their parents before joining a B-school about what they are getting into.

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

Hmmm...

The topic, as is, asks a question whether Ragging exists just in Bschools or other places as well... But since this is a bschool forum...

Unlike other institutes, especially undergraduate instis, a bschool is different. There are people from all age groups here. My own batch has an age profile from 35 to 20. So it becomes difficult to 'rag', so to speak. What will you rag a junior with, when you find out that not only is he older than you in age, he also has more workex than the ragging group combined.

No one also has the time to rag juniors. Rather, juniors don't have time to get ragged. How will seniors rag, if they don't find any junior who is not poring his eyes into the laptop or not peeking into a dozen books at the same time? By the time the load gets over, in the second sem, the juniors are also hardened enough to be able to rag the seniors...

However, as long as the activity remains in the purview of fun and games, its ok. My extra currics team managed this by holding an 'interaction' session with the senior batch. We were made to do skits, dance, hopscotch, and what not. I was told to introduce myself like a 'bhai', twirling my keyring in my fingers... All in jest, so that we got to know each other.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Instead of simply saying that ragging doesn't exist at my institute, I believe everyone here deserves to know why you posted this.

Yes, I can say it doesn't happen here...but how will that help you? Will you join SJMSOM, GIM or IIM I because we say it does not?

Please clarify a few things about your post.

1) Where is this "lot of news making these days"? Which media, where, when?
2) Who are the country's best B-schools?
3) What do you mean by ragging?

Instead of littering your post with emoticons, please ratify what exactly you want to prove/discover with this discussion. PG is a powerful platform, lets use it in the best way possible.

Payne

PS: I love emoticons too. But this topic is a serious one, and I'd love to know where this news you speak about is. :)

Last month this ragging news created a sensation in Andhrapradesh where few seniors where indulged in ragging in the medical colleges.
Added to this the poll which the poll which is present in the pagalguy.com
also prompted me to post this question????

He started the thread probably after coming across the poll on the PG homepage-

Are you aware of the prevalence of severe ragging in India's best B-schools?

HI junta,

Theres lot of news making these days i.ee ragging .How about it in the country's best B schools .:neutral:

Post your comments.............

Instead of simply saying that ragging doesn't exist at my institute, I believe everyone here deserves to know why you posted this.

Yes, I can say it doesn't happen here...but how will that help you? Will you join SJMSOM, GIM or IIM I because we say it does not?

Please clarify a few things about your post.

1) Where is this "lot of news making these days"? Which media, where, when?
2) Who are the country's best B-schools?
3) What do you mean by ragging?

Instead of littering your post with emoticons, please ratify what exactly you want to prove/discover with this discussion. PG is a powerful platform, lets use it in the best way possible.

Payne

PS: I love emoticons too. But this topic is a serious one, and I'd love to know where this news you speak about is. 😃