Question for IIM alums/students: Quanti in MBA

2 Posts  ·  2 Users
About this group
I'd really appreciate it if the questions can be answered in the same order as asked, thank you! I've converted L & C, but my quanti is quite weak. Maths in ISCE (12th) was a disaster with 80% (disaster if you understand the normal distributi...
Page 1 of 1
: to PG plz use the following thread for a prompt reply to ur query :

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

Don't worry IIM studen't weren't Maths Wizards ! The level of Maths in any Competitive level is restricted to 10 Level , however some advance level topics like P & C , Probability are also asked !

All the best for your career...
https://www.facebook.com/abhishek.pnb
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

I'd really appreciate it if the questions can be answered in the same order as asked, thank you!

I've converted L & C, but my quanti is quite weak. Maths in ISCE (12th) was a disaster with 80% (disaster if you understand the normal distribution, and therefore why 80% in ISCE is ridiculously below average).

I have the following questions:

1. What is the degree of difficulty of the quanti parts of MBA at an IIM? IIT JEE level? State JEE level?
    _
  2. Are all subjects deeply treated through Mathematics, abstract and advanced? Or are there 1 or 2 non mathematical subjects as well?
    _
  3. During my Engineering, I used to have trouble with Stochastic processes, Markov Chains etc. Are there similar mathematical subjects in an MBA?
    _
  4. What level of mathematics, and to what depth, is required to succeed in the course? Graduate/Engg level, or even higher?
    _
  5. How much is the intellectual disconnect between what is taught in a class at IIM and what is asked in a term exam? For example, if you consider the +2 maths courses across ISCE/CBSE, they pretty much cover all of IIT JEE maths. But the disconnect in terms of difficulty is HUGE! So, on similar lines, are you taught x in class and examined on a hugely difficult variant of x?
    _
  6. Lastly, would this be similar to commonplace maths in an IIM maths class? I'm guessing the answer will be "yes" or "even more difficult", but want to confirm:

Integral identity for Legendre polynomials - MathOverflow

or

square root of diffeomorphism of R: does it always exist? - MathOverflow

or

Probability of a Point on a Unit Sphere lying within a Cube - MathOverflow

I'm not maths phobic, but my understanding is restricted to +2 maths, and some engineering maths I remember from 5 years back (I'm a 2006 graduate). I'm wondering if I'll be able to survive the insane maths at an IIM MBA.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.