Queries on how to tackle questions on DI

29 Posts  ·  28 Users
About this group
hi i am suraj thomas B.E Mech from moombai University.currently preparing for CAT 04.i just wanna know if there are any easy ways on how o tackle questions on DI.Any books?. :smiley: also help me how to solve questions such as 785/11285.
Page 1 of 3

hey simon
talkig abt being too close for CAT's comfort...........u can always tk a look at the options & progress fr as much preciseness as reqd.............

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hi everyone
i would like to give just one advice from my personal experience
while going for di Qs try to write as less as you can and solve as many questions mentally as u can.
in most of the questions u need only approximate calculations
but dont shy away from hardwork bacause of that.

bye
saurabh

vahgar
@vahgar  ·  282 karma
plz. elaborate the solutions as i'm not getting it.
swati

basic funda, is 10 % is one digit off the number, 1% is 2 digits off that no. U want 7 % take 1 % and multiply by 7. Thats the basic funda. more logic and counting. Be good at avgs
GCVBT7T Says
very easy 1 % of 11285 is 112.85 and 112*7 =785 so the answer is it is 7% approx

plz. elaborate the solutions as i'm not getting it.
swati

Hey thx saraogi, 😃

but just wonder if the results by this method are a bit too approximate for CAT comfort 😃 ...need to try it out....
anyways, thanks again!

Hey DI gurus,

how about some shortcuts for division...what goes through your mind when you see stuff like 2485/179379 or 0.9816/3.2678 ? how do you approach it? someone please help...

have enough multiplication shortcuts to keep me happy but division is a big turnoff for me :(

Hi Simon,

2485/179379 is basically 2500/180000.....1% of 180000 is 1800 ( & 0.1 % is 180) .....balance is (2500-1800) i.e. 700..... which is just less than 0.4% .....safe guess would be 0.38% or 0.39%. So the ans is 1.38% or 1.39%. Even 1.4% would be fine....just look for the option just less than 1.4%.

0.9816/3.2678.....same goes here too (my approach goes like this)....9816/32678....10% is 3270....x3 is 9810....answer is 30%.
Forget division.. it's of no use. The above one is a universal process. No need to mug up anything. Only need to be good at mental addition and more so MENTAL SUBTRACTION (2500-1800 is a sitter in this case but will not always be) & MULTIPLICATION (3270x3 in the 2nd one, again a sitter!!!) . By mental I basically mean keeping track of your calculations.

I hope it's fine.

hi guys

the trick of doing di is to first find easy questions and then doing it mentally as much as u can.

wow, 2 great replies

one, telling me to look more at logic Qs (I do and they are important but division is basic to anything, yaar)
two, telling me to chuck it 😃

Looking for something more useful, guys,...so....

Hey DI gurus,

how about some shortcuts for division...what goes through your mind when you see stuff like 2485/179379 or 0.9816/3.2678 ? how do you approach it? someone please help...

have enough multiplication shortcuts to keep me happy but division is a big turnoff for me

Junta,
DI section doesn't mean just fractions and multiplication...
Surely u should be comfortable with multiplying and dividing numbers...
But more than this u shd be able to analyze data easily. There are few common ways of presenting data. Familiarize yourself with these. This will surely help you! Any DI book from the popular coaching institutes will suffice.

In DI, there are also Logic questions . This year CAT hardly had any number crunching questions in the DI section. All questions were logic based. And logic cannot be learnt or taught overnight. Best way is to keep practicing...
In Mock Tests, NEVER make the mistake of attempting only DI questions or only Logic based questions. U never know how the CAT paper might be...
One of my friends, who thought he was poor in Logic, never attempted any logic based questions in Mocks and he went on to take CAT with the same pre-disposition and ended up doing miserably in DI.
Hope PGs don't repeat the same mistake...
Good luck!

Hey DI gurus,

have enough multiplication shortcuts to keep me happy but division is a big turnoff for me :(

leave it