Quant Topic Wise Discussion CAT 2011 - Answers/Solutions/General Discussion

24 Posts  ·  19 Users
About this group
Hi Folks, To keep the thread 'Quant Topic Wise Discussion CAT 2011' spam free and as notes for all of us.. Here is the another thread for posting answers, general discussions, solutions, queries, feelings :stuck_out_tongue: and everything rela...
Page 1 of 3
How many five digit numbers can be formed using the digits from 1 to 9, such that the first three digits are in increasing order and the last three digits are in decreasing order?]

None of these
What's the overall answer??

ans is 1596. but i doubt the sol. because we cannot make out the order of digits through the sol
Sumedha Agrawal | PGDM (HRM)-1, 2012-2014 | Member-Illuminatix | Media and PR Cell- XIMB
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
How many five digit numbers can be formed using the digits from 1 to 9, such that the first three digits are in increasing order and the last three digits are in decreasing order?]

None of these

What's the overall answer??
Calls :- IIM I ,K,RRRTUK ,NITIE Final Converts :-IIM K ,NITIE
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
How many five digit numbers can be formed using the digits from 1 to 9, such that the first three digits are in increasing order and the last three digits are in decreasing order?

None of these

if one selects 9 as the middle digit then,

8C2*8C2=784(1st two digits and last two digits can be (1,...,
Similarly,
If 8 is the middle digit, then
7C2*7C2...441
If, 7......
6C2*6C2..225
5C2*5C2..100

Total is 1596.

but we cant say anything about the increasing order of the 2 digits prior to middle digit and similarly the decresing order for the digits after the middle one.
plz explain how to go about this
Sumedha Agrawal | PGDM (HRM)-1, 2012-2014 | Member-Illuminatix | Media and PR Cell- XIMB
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Please help me solving these two problems

The point of contact of hypotenuse of a right triangle with its inscribed circle divides the hypotenuse parts of length x and y. Find the area of the triangle?

Is the OA:xy ?If yes,i will explain it
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Please help me solving these two problems
A rectangular sheet of paper is folded along the diagonal so that the four vertices form a trapezium with three sides of equal length. What is the length of the shorter side of rectangle if the longer side is 27 cm long?

The point of contact of hypotenuse of a right triangle with its inscribed circle divides the hypotenuse parts of length x and y. Find the area of the triangle?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
How many five digit numbers can be formed using the digits from 1 to 9, such that the first three digits are in increasing order and the last three digits are in decreasing order?

None of these

if one selects 9 as the middle digit then,

8C2*8C2=784(1st two digits and last two digits can be (1,...,
Similarly,
If 8 is the middle digit, then
7C2*7C2...441
If, 7......
6C2*6C2..225
5C2*5C2..100

Total is 1596.
Angad Lamba | PG UDT 2011 |NCR-DT 2011 http://www.facebook.com/angad.lamba.9?ref=tn_tnmn
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

None of these

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Got it. Both of us were discussing the same point. Sorry, I could not understand ur point and pointing it again and again. 😞

If it does not kill you, it makes you stronger.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
U said this..

'6+b can take 1,2,3,4,6,9,12,18,36 (and negatives of these)'
not 6+b but b can take values and values are different from what you have mentioned

I am not sure if u have understood what i have meant from above. To reiterate it clearly , this is what i meant :

when i say
'6+b can take 1,2,3,4,6,9,12,18,36'

that means 6+b =1,2,3,4...

or b=-5,-4,-3,-2,0,3,6,12,30 ....

and accordingly u can find the 'a' values to make it a pair.

Hope i am clear now.
There is always li ght at the end of the tunnel .. Do not ever give up. CAT 2011 : 99.61 C/L/XL/FMS
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
isnt it wat i had exactly said above??
or did i said 6+b should be factor of b ??

U said this..

'6+b can take 1,2,3,4,6,9,12,18,36 (and negatives of these)'
not 6+b but b can take values and values are different from what you have mentioned
If it does not kill you, it makes you stronger.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...