quant prep books

41 Posts  ·  45 Users
About this group
hello everyone........ im a little weak at quant and would like to start off with the fundamentals and get the concepts right before i plunge into the problem solving ... im plannin to buy 10,11 ,12 th maths books of CBSE or should i go in for ICS...
Page 1 of 5

Arun Sharma is the best book for CAT preparation. Know more http://catiim2011.blogspot.in/ and also you can find Arun Sharma Quantative Aptitide Ebook link. I hope this helps

www.catiim2011.blogspot.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

?Which one is best Arun sharma, guha, or nishit sharma????

{We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.}
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Can here somebody share softcopiy of Byju quant and DI?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

if ur not getting guha in bookshops...........then may b u should check out flipkart.....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

BEST FOR NEWBIE ....

arun sharma quant book is good for building basics in quants...

this is the link..

go through it// if u like.. buy via FLIPKART>> there will be much discount on books

How to Prepare for Quantitative ... - Arun Sharma - Google Books

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!
i am in btech 2nd yr and m planning to take up the CAT ,,,,,,could u plz give me the complete sylaabi of the quantitaive aptitude section as i am a li'l weak at it

thanxxxxxx

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi Puys,
I am preparing for MBA exams since 2008. Always got decent scores in entrances. Due to some problems, could not attend good b-school calls in '09 and attempted only CAT in 2010. Here I want to discuss the gist of my experience with the prep.

Points to ponder:
1. Inspire, aspire and conspire...Know your strengths and weaknesses. Judge your performances in Mocks, analyze them, improve them and most important.. REFRAIN REPEATING THEM.
2. Take sectionals, judge your strengths and weaknesses. Brush up the basics in the areas you are weak and add as much as you can to streanthen your forte.
3. It should not offer mundane, even if you practice good question n number of times.

Test Series/Institutes:
Every institute is here to let its students excel fast in exams..But there is pros and cons of each of them
e.g.
IMS: Good VA/RC, (I am an Ex-IMS faculty and regular classroom program student), Avg. LR/DI/QA.
CL: They have tried to keep the good student interaction and management. So even an avg. QA/LR/VA/RC/DI with a regular updation in exam patterbs can make it a decent choice. And yes, the test series is one of the cheapest available operating national level among many students.
TIME: Wonderful, Full of Concepts LR/DI sections (Full of jolts with Rictar Scale of 8= :P), QA: Quite good(BSM is wonder in both LDI, QA), English Sux..
TG: Books on NS, GEo, TSD are good on theory part, practice questions sometimes move here and ther from CAT and other simulated exams. Test series of not much use.. buying books is a gud option. Can't say about classroom prog.
So overall joining two test series at a time is recommendable. TIME + CL or TIME + IMS (here you will get a good package of every section)

Prep Resources(Except test serie(s) you have joined):
I am discussing my study plan here:
Assumptions:
we can make available the material I am writing write hereby, as I did.
we are planning for Top 20 colleges
we know the basic gyan required for CAT prep.

QA: Let's divide it in 3 rounds of prep.

Round 1: Topic-wise from TIME BSM (All exercises) + Theory from TG books on NS/Geo/TSD

Round 2: Arun Sharma's Book on QA (Awesome book, try for all LOD 1,2,3)

Round 3: Questions from old SIMCATS/AIMCATS

LR/DI: Similarly, we will divide it in 3 rounds of prep.

Round 1: BSM of Time on Reasoning/DI/DS.

Round 2: Arun Sharma's book on DI/LR parallel with the questions on Threads of Test funda/TG/ and obviously popular PG

Round 3: (Most Important Phase) First solve, then analyse and then play(work with combinations and possibilities of questions, cases etc.) the old AIMCATS(you can borrow them from senior soldiers of the old battles) Believe me this can turn your takes on LR/DI. TIME guys are the best on this section. Rest you can test.
VA/RC
I was my weakest section in '08 and I attempted just 7 questions in it (though all correct:)),
Here, we can treat it..
Divide your VA/RC related activities in two portions daily and schedule-based:
Daily Activities:
Reading: This should include regular standard reading of newspapers like The Hindu, NYT, Guardian, ET (Try to avoid TOI, it's a masaala paper and we have whole life to read, eat and taste masaala ;)). Try reading magazines like Forbe, Economist too. Link on Time's homepage for Reading material is also helpful. Not just read them, analyse them, discuss them with intellectuals, people near you or on PG. Sometimes, you are taking the whole passage in some other manner. SO, just reading is not enough!

Vocab: Collect words from the material you read, Word Power Made Easy is a must. IMS word list is good as well. Read a word, learn related words. And yes, CAT is regularly keeping questions on word usage(a basic word and multiple usage) so try to learn different usage of very basic words like (walk, anchor, blow, etc.)

Schedule-Based
(If someone (VA expert puy) can add to what I said here in VA section, it will add to what I am suggesting, Prior Thanks)
R1: Arun Sharma Book on VA, Test Funda e-bboks, CL Material(for practice), IMS BRM for theory
R2: Old Simcats(They will make a difference and Ironically, fill the gaps 😃 ).

Last but not the least, As all IIM achivers says..There is only one key to crack a creme-dela-creme college and i.e.
Practice, Practice and More Practice!!!
..Can make a difference..
.....To start a journey is half thing done, winning is just another half.

Best Regards,
A FunG'uS' 'A'mong'US'
If it does not kill you, it makes you stronger.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

No Need.. Complete Arun Sharma first..
after round one start revising it.. I am sure.. even in round 2, if someone solves all the questions, he(no gender biasing) can do wonders in Entrances. And If you can't solve, yest there is a scope of learning..
All the best!

Rahul Mehra Says
I'm thinking of buying quant book from time. Although I have arun sharma I was wondering if it is actually worth buying??
If it does not kill you, it makes you stronger.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I'm thinking of buying quant book from time. Although I have arun sharma I was wondering if it is actually worth buying??

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
ok now
i have a book of qa from arun sharma...and i take around 3 mins or + to solve LOD 3 probs....should i switch to some easier books???

LOD 3 problems are very tough yaar,and i think somewhat more tough than CAT level questions.What is more important is how much time you spend in LOD 1 and LOD 2 questions??
hhtt//www..
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...