prospects for someone like me !

7 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
Hi all ! iam preeti.currently about to be through with my post grad in life sciences (M.Sc. in Zoology) to be more precise. now keen on pursuing an MBA degree from a good B-School. My problem is lack of proper guidance. I got 88 percentile in Se...
Page 1 of 1
Hi Mr. Martian!
Thanks for heeding to my call..
yep its been a calculated descision spread over the period of entire past year. i decided to go for MBA not beacuse its the recent norm but because thats what i c that i have the spark for 'management'. i have been taking coaching too. but somehow the enormous lot of info available on pagal guy confused me .. which resulted in me starting this thread. you know this feeling that comes when you start thinking negative that maybe iam not upto it. talking about it helped and i guess iam in a better frame of mind than i was yestreday when i started this thread.
but then you are right.. this whole chunk of info that is available here more like a vast ocean .. i might just not knw which way is my shore!
but then wud luv it if you cud name a few B-schools just for info sake which fall under B or B+ category .. and charge a nominal fee..
by the way on a personal note .. may i ask, whether u an aspirant or pursuing ur degree somewhere??
-preeti

Preeti,
Referring to your 'personal note'...Martians are generally very publicity shy. So without revealing too much, all I can divulge (very modestly) on a public forum such as this is that I fall in the been-there-done-that league.

I had a ton of questions similar to yours before I took the plunge and had no friend/philosopher/guide to turn to for advice.

So, after having gone through the grind and experiencing the joys/pain/euphoria associated with the MBA journey, I've been lurking on these forums whenever I get some free time, hoping some of my experience and views might provide that beacon of hope to others going through the same dilemma.

And believe me, once you've set the ball rolling, all your apprehensions would rapidly move out of the way.

OK...martian now going green(er) under the spolight. Moving back into the shadows.
Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

ok ultimare
first go out there get your cat scores and since you already have some info about the schools you might be interested in ,come back to PG and go to these two links
1.http://www.pagalguy.com/jobs-careers
2.http://www.pagalguy.com/b-school-student-discussions
now in here you can find a lot of people from most of the colleges u want to try
ask them the cutoffs and requirements,they will be more than happy to guide you.Mostly i am sure that the info will already be there

so happy PGing:)
thanx
~AJ~

Hi Ajay_X
Thanks for all the links to the posts there. I admit that i do have the spark in me but somehow i havent been able to toil enough to say with a bang that iam worthy of the top notch category of B-Schools... i have been with a coaching institute for sometime now.but wont say much has changed since i joined .. though iam a better individual for having come across such varied variety of people.. i dnt knw wht to expect from CAT06 since it would be my first and last attempt at it.
i somehow never could associate myself with the IIM league people .. always had that attitude from day one! but off late i do crave for the best. then i also tell myslf.. keep a realistic approach .. maybe thats how the B n B+ category thing came frm.
nyhow my story can continue forever.
coming to the point .. you talked about comparin the rating list..
what i have been unable to find is a reliable rating list of all the b-schools alongwith their admission requirement and the cut off score they ask for ..
for the cut off thing is my worry..
i dnt want to be filling n number of forms and shelling huge bucks only to find out that i dnt match their criteria.. and then if i wait till CAT results are out .. i might be missing out on some last dates..

hi ultimare,
thought i might post in something which might give a little bit of clarity over quite a few things.First of all u have told that you do have the spark for management,then why do you want to settle down for b and b+ categry schools since in these categories the placements and the average salaries offered are also of the b ,b+ category.Now all those tension about intimidating info available on PG is quite true but definitely manageable over the course of time provided u have the desired motivation to excel.Let me tell you ultimare all these dudes/dudettes around here did not come here with some supercharged brain or neither most them are extra brainy,but what makes them a class apart from the others are the efforts they put in to make it to a good b-school ,primarily with a lot of confidence( u should never miss the post by chandoo one of ur mods of how he made it to the iim-i)http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=37&p2;_articleid=202"
and if you are bad in quant find out were you are bad at( this definitely u shuld do)and find the threads for it and in case you still dont find any thread relevant to your doubts ,start a whole new thread for it but make sure you search completely.So i guess that makes some sense:neutral:

Now if you want to find about the schools go to the sites of coaching institutes and compare their rating list ,go to the school web sites and you can find out about the fees struscture

Frankly to tell you something I am pathetic at quant and di ,but from tha advice at PG , i am able to make a slow and steady progress

I guess i have been of some help:satisfie:
thank you
~AJ~

Hi Mr. Martian!
Thanks for heeding to my call..
yep its been a calculated descision spread over the period of entire past year. i decided to go for MBA not beacuse its the recent norm but because thats what i c that i have the spark for 'management'. i have been taking coaching too. but somehow the enormous lot of info available on pagal guy confused me .. which resulted in me starting this thread. you know this feeling that comes when you start thinking negative that maybe iam not upto it. talking about it helped and i guess iam in a better frame of mind than i was yestreday when i started this thread.
but then you are right.. this whole chunk of info that is available here more like a vast ocean .. i might just not knw which way is my shore!
but then wud luv it if you cud name a few B-schools just for info sake which fall under B or B+ category .. and charge a nominal fee..
by the way on a personal note .. may i ask, whether u an aspirant or pursuing ur degree somewhere??
-preeti

Preeti,

You have a lot of open questions...about entry, good schools, fees etc. And as you've mentioned, to add to the lack of awareness issue, there hasn't been anyone to guide you through the process.

In such a situation, it would not be in your best interest to take a hasty decision and jump onto the MBA bandwagon, just because everyone else is doing it.

Might help to do some introspection on why you want to do an MBA immediately after your post-grad. Will it help add clarity if you join a company in the technical area of your expertise and then simultaneously evaluate options. You'll also be building up your savings in parallel, so hopefully the fee aspect would also look less scary.

Read up various websites to find out the names of good schools, what kind of criteria they require, placement opportunities, track record etc.
Once you've got a basic idea about what you want to do and why, then the advise you'd get on these forums would help provide that external perspective. Your queries also would be more targetted.

Otherwise, following up purely on web-based advise could be outright dangerous.

Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb

Hi all !
iam preeti.currently about to be through with my post grad in life sciences (M.Sc. in Zoology) to be more precise. now keen on pursuing an MBA degree from a good B-School. My problem is lack of proper guidance. I got 88 percentile in Sept MAT. dont have high expectations from CAT.Infact iam not sure of what to expect at all.. havnt been putting much of effort as per the preparations are concerned.Zero in quant,okayish in DI and good in english .. thats me ..
HELP ...is all i ask...
Got a call for GD/PI from Alliance Business Academy,Blr and the likes of it, but the tution fee they ask for much much more than what i would otherwise prefer. I need information about good B-schools .. they might not be top league but then they shud serve the purpose, what i mean is tht i dnt want to shelve lakhs for a degree which wudnt provide me dividends.
tried to put my plight in words..
guide me !