Profiles: Class of 2003_Wharton

20 Posts  ·  13 Users
About this group
i found this on one of the sites..... Go thru the profiles... i never expected tht people after graduating frm IIT, doing MBA from IIMA then a work ex of 8-9 yrs go n apply in wharton... this is a real eye opener for me..... seems I need t...
Page 1 of 2

yes and no at the same time.

Having different experience profile is always beneficial for the class and hence preference is given to people with varied experience so as to maintain the balance within the class and making the group work interesting.

At the same time, the Investment banking experience is definately not same when you compare it with other experience lets say for that matter teaching. They require different skill set and bring different perspective to the discussion.

Each and every skill set has its own value which is decided by the MBA Director/MBA selection team, which in turn depends on university to university.

Hope that helps.

Shoot more questions.

Best
Santosh

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hey!!! its been a really long time since i posted...

Just to tell you, average experience in my class is 8 years and average age is 29. Rest you can imagine.

santosh...can u tell us what kind of experience will they prefer...as in, will having experience in an industry which has no relation to the finance/marketing etc of an mba be counted as equal to having experience in say, an investment bank??

and i've heard many times that they look to have a batch with students from diverse backgrounds..is it really true??
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Getting admission without experience is totally out of question.

All the top business school all around the world require minimum of 3 years of managerial/executive/professional work experience.

When you have this experience you generally contribute well in the class. Rest depends on your individual ability.

Yeah but there will always be people who have significant years of work ex... thats the fun. You learn alot from your peers i.e. not only about MBA but about life at large and you achieve overall development in your outlook.

After finishing your MBA if you do not develope this outlook then in my opinion the purpose of education is under achieved.

Just to tell you, average experience in my class is 8 years and average age is 29. Rest you can imagine.

Regards,

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

In tht case, what are the chances that someone without an MBA & a work ex of 3+yrs can secure an admission in one of the top notch colleegs... Even if he gets an admission won't it be really tough for him to remain in sync with the others... Instead of taking part in discussions, he will be just listening hard to absorb whatever is discussed without contributing anything to the class ....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Different people have different reasons. From my experience coming through interaction with people like these, the most important reason which you can identify among all the reasons you have mentioned is the ability to network.

MBA in wharton or other top business school gives EXCELLENT networking opportunity which can often be used as to give a total uplift to your career or the way you do things.

Ofcourse, no one can deny the brand name it brings with you among other reasons.

Challanging your abilities in an international environment with top brains in the world is another motivator factor.

MBA is very different then PHd. I have my batch mates here for whom MBA was an *apetiser* for knowledge. Now they are on for the main course.

Regards,

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Very valid Q I think the same reason why people do double PhDs at an age of 40

1.May be one has done it in Systems earlier but has now moved to finance dept & want to have a strong in Finance. So he applies for an MBA course & rather than doing it from India, why not get enrolled in a college where the best brains & achievers from all walks of life come.

2.Another scenario A mgr is working in a manufacturing company in India for the past 8-9 yrs. Now he wants to go n join a firm in US which requires him to handle/work with their manufacturing division in various countries including asia pacific. So its better for him to get equipped, with some prior knowledge of how to handle global operations & understand global markets, before taking up the assignment (but than he can take a 2-3 month course for that why a full time MBA seems there is more to it)

3.Since these are all successful people & they have already proved themselves in atleast one area, they now want to take on a challenge & try untasted waters because to move ahead you have to keep trying new things. So they join a MBA course to

a.Learn new skills
b.Develop networking
c.Move out of the stagnancy that has come up due to their mastery in a particular field.

Right now I could think of these only Im sure you will come up with better reasons.

ashish

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
i found this on one of the sites.....
Go thru the profiles... i never expected tht people after graduating frm IIT, doing MBA from IIMA then a work ex of 8-9 yrs go n apply in wharton... this is a real eye opener for me.....

seems I need to do a lot of homework b4 applying...

ashish

Sorry guys.... whenever i try to upload the zip file... explorer goes mad...
will try again after some time....

One question ... think about why anyone would like to do another MBA when they already have an MBA from IIMA and have worked in the industry for 8-9 years?

Try to come up with the answer... then i will provide what i believe is true considering my experience.

besides.... i should put this forward that a graduate from wharton/or other FT top 100 business school student and other business school abroad is that the formar have successfully proved themselves in all the areas over and over throughout their life including academics and working life.

Have fun.

Regards,
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
the extension pdf is not allowed. i have been told not to post links. so you will have to pm me

hey aejaz........feel free to provide links that can help ppl in making a considered choice......we dont have any issues with that....the only issue on which we had sounded off earlier was plugging in the url in every second post.....

Cheers
|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
post2ashish Says
, but are you from Raleigh, NC?

no man..... 😁 😛 ... me from mumbhaiiiiii only..... no contests from u now-a-days plz post the schol stuff ....

my bad. i knew a guy from raleigh at our forum.

About contests, I have been quite busy working on the refurb. of the website. 😞 I will start it soon.

the extension pdf is not allowed. i have been told not to post links. so you will have to pm me. 😞

sincerely
htowner
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
, but are you from Raleigh, NC?

no man..... 😁 😛 ... me from mumbhaiiiiii only..... no contests from u now-a-days plz post the schol stuff ....
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...