Profile after 1 year MBA or Executive MBA.

10 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
Hi, I have 5 ye exp on IT field.What profile will I get after doing 1 year full time MBA or executive MBA ? can I move to consulting or other ? Institute I am referring to are 2 tier like Sp Jain,Wellingkar, NMIMS etc..
Page 1 of 1

Yes u r right to some extent.To know the answer to question why MBA I have put up the question of 'Profile after MBA' to see what will I do after MBA.What is the change that I can aspect to get.

Right now I know the don'ts :
I don't want do MBA because of \ - Money,Sales Career,Marketing Career,Finance/Investment banking career.

why MBA :
#Still need to figure out : BA,IT consulting etc....
#I like to do Analytical,creative work more than Technical work means more towards Requirement Analysis sort ,BA sort of ,solving business problem.
#Ambitious nature..
# Not happy to see my technical manger's profile,they don't/can't do technical work,nor business,just manage resources..Also u can't do much in technical mgr profile.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Reasons that inspires me:
#1 I was good techie but I feel I can't learn new tech after certain exp,want to go to higher side dont just wann code.Also don't see my self as architecture.
#2 I don't like profile of my technical managers, there is hardly any good work better than that is business profile I guess.
#3 I like consulting.

I dont want to make this a personal query thread (no offense) but I will answer your queries becoz i also faced the same.

#1 I was good techie but I feel I can't learn new tech after certain exp,want to go to higher side dont just wann code.Also don't see my self as architecture.
#2 I don't like profile of my technical managers, there is hardly any good work better than that is business profile I guess.

I believe that you have stagnated at the position u are currently in. You need to experience managerial roles, customer interaction roles etc to understand if u will enjoy mba profiles. Unfortunately with todays scenario no role can be guaranteed. U need to have real focus for ur mba.

#3 I like consulting.
:) who doesnt like giving lot of gyaan to someone else. But consulting is actually the most difficult and challenging profile. It is not a fixed base position. Every 6 mnths u will be moving from one place to another and u need to have vaaast knowledge of all subjects. I am not discouraging u but I still feel that u need to talk to few people with similar profile as urs who have done their MBA and find out how they have fared in post MBA.

Hope I have solved ur queries!!

From your posts I feel u are still confused if u want to do an mba or not. Dont do an MBA because every tom **** and harry arnd you is doing an MBA. Do it if u are clear with ur future goals and are not satisfied with the kind of work currently u are doing. This decision is an important decision and u need to ask urself the qs whether the whole thing falls into ur career path properly.

Reasons that inspires me:
#3 I like consulting.

# What are the roles & work profile will you aspect after completing 1 year MBA ?
# I have 5 yr of exp in IT so what role & work profile can I aspect ?
To braodly classify you can go into
- Consulting - IT, ITES, Process consultant, Solution provider etc etc
- Account Management, Business Development - What you get in Infy CTS. Acquiring new clients ,managing them, doing sales presales post sales job
- Project Management - Well the job of ur project manager.
There are certainly more roles in this field but companies majorly come to fill these positions.

To make my position more clearer. The idea behind 1 Yr MBA is to give u a lift in ur career if u are climbing by stairs. You can jump to another building but that u will do at ur own risk. Nobody can guarantee if that risk would payoff.

# Also is it MBA will only increase my designation in IT field or it will help me to change my work profile ?
Not sure of the question. Certainly u will not go back to coding that is if u dont want to. The Profile that you will get depends on many factors. The way you take the advantage during 1 yr of college is significant. Companies come to the college with set profiles in their mind. how well u negaotiate and get ur dream profile depends all on you.

From your posts I feel u are still confused if u want to do an mba or not. Dont do an MBA because every tom **** and harry arnd you is doing an MBA. Do it if u are clear with ur future goals and are not satisfied with the kind of work currently u are doing. This decision is an important decision and u need to ask urself the qs whether the whole thing falls into ur career path properly.

# What are the roles & work profile will you aspect after completing 1 year MBA ?
# I have 5 yr of exp in IT so what role & work profile can I aspect ?
# Also is it MBA will only increase my designation in IT field or it will help me to change my work profile ?

Hi which can give better profile :
IIM-Indore Executive MBA (that is partly residential, u dont have to leave job there ) or SP jain 1 yr MBA for change in work profile ?

Doing a full time MBA course is anyday better than any part time course. Part Time course doesn't gives you an option of placement. It is more suited to people who are enjoying their job but want to make advancement in their career in long term perspective.

Above 2 courses are not even comparable. They target different goals although they may impart similar education.

Also i will have reservation on putting SP Jain in tier 2 college category given the consideration what happened in ISB this year and how SP Jain has made placements for it's batches this year. Consistency is what should be considered when making any choice especially in this conservative environment where uncertainity turns into potential risk more often than once.

Hi which can give better profile :
IIM-Indore Executive MBA (that is partly residential, u dont have to leave job there ) or SP jain 1 yr MBA for change in work profile ?

getting a break in a good consulting company is a mix of your experience and the brand of your college u come from...
I dont think The tier 2 colleges wud be a as good for a career in consulting....though in previous years there have been gr8 placements in this colleges in the area of consulting services, this year as u know the scene is different even at IIMs.

Cheers!

IMHO, Exec MBAs have proved a weak tool (except IIMs as winner rightly says) for "switching" careers....they are good when you want to move vertically in your own field (in which you have work ex). Even the part-time MBAs work well when you want to move up the ladder in your own field.

If a break in consulting is what you want, then stop thinking of any tier-2 MBA. Prepare well for a year, get a great GMAT score..get your finances in order and go to a top notch b-school.

Also, considering the current global meltdown, you would do well if you delay your MBA plans for atleast a couple of years by when the situation may atleast stop being so bad as it currently is. Like it is said, its never too late for an MBA. If not now, then 2 years later.
Hi,
I have 5 ye exp on IT field.What profile will I get after doing 1 year full time MBA or executive MBA ?
can I move to consulting or other ?
Institute I am referring to are 2 tier like Sp Jain,Wellingkar, NMIMS etc..

getting a break in a good consulting company is a mix of your experience and the brand of your college u come from...
I dont think The tier 2 colleges wud be a as good for a career in consulting....though in previous years there have been gr8 placements in this colleges in the area of consulting services, this year as u know the scene is different even at IIMs.

Cheers!
MBA, B.Tech, CAIIB

Hi,
I have 5 ye exp on IT field.What profile will I get after doing 1 year full time MBA or executive MBA ?
can I move to consulting or other ?
Institute I am referring to are 2 tier like Sp Jain,Wellingkar, NMIMS etc..