private vs public b-school.

14 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
dear all, could anyone tell me why public b-schools are poor-ranked? i also did some googling to find out more about them. but they are not in limelight too. why is it so?
Page 1 of 2
rkrules Says
So in effect, does it mean that chances of scholarship/funding is easier in Private schools ? A friend of mine told the opposite and hence I am confused.

There's no such pattern as far as MBAs are concerned. For technical master's and doctoral degrees, chances for funding are equally good at the better public and private universities.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

So in effect, does it mean that chances of scholarship/funding is easier in Private schools ? A friend of mine told the opposite and hence I am confused.

Is there any link or site where these public/private B-schools are separately listed. Having a hard time to look for public B-schools.

Are there any public B-schools in UK as well?

Sorry for replying so late, Rahul!

I cant provide you the link but surely I can guide you to the right direction!

Almost every reputed ranking systems available online has this separate comparision.
take BusinessWeek for instance!
or take US News.
GMAT Blog http://gmat.amrute.me

Is there any link or site where these public/private B-schools are separately listed. Having a hard time to look for public B-schools.

Are there any public B-schools in UK as well?

ok
this is a show stopper now.:grab:
Really been following this site lately
this man is genius and has great resouces for the MBA related field
Name's DAVE FOR MBA

You might have heard about him and also hv visited his site ( mentioned above)

so got all answers i wanted....
really informative site indeed.
thought to share it with all you people...

thanks for the post
baccardi spirit!

esp for the schools you hv mentioned. i will check them out.

for me it got impossble for search a good public school....
& then i had to use this forum

i must tell you guys this forum is very efficient.
members are like barking dogs.....but still its good.

@phooka: yes. i mean public schools in abroad esp. in USA
@baccardi sprite: thanks. Ok so b-schools run on donations come from alumni. Private schools have great alumni network. then what about goverment aided public schools?
Public schools would get finance from two doors alumni & government. is it so?

Like I said - the private schools in the so called Ivy league have built their names over nearly 100 years (Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Stanford, MIT) and their cash pile / endowments will continue increasing.

Public schools are getting into the game as well - in order to attract the best students, they're ramping up their fundraising efforts (recent example - U-Michigan b-school got named the Ross School of Business after an alumnus named Ross donated $100m to the school - that's a serious INR 450 Crore!!!!) and succeeding in attracting not only top notch students, but also great new faculty. The University of California system, U-Michigan, U-Illinois at Urbana, U-Texas at Austin are all great public universities (all of whom are known in India). Finances from Goverment + prominent alumni have thus far not been equal to the amounts Private universities get, they're unlikely to ever be. But the public universities are the institutions where the greatest number of America's (and many international) middle class students get educated, so their importance to the system will never go away.

one more point:

if public schools are reluctant to advertise themselves in ranking sites....
(or should i rephrase it? ) reluctant to do some marketing ..

then they wont come in lime light

and other private funded institutions like you mentioned...would get richer & richer not only in term s of money that come from alumni support but also in terms of fame too.

@phooka: yes. i mean public schools in abroad esp. in USA
@baccardi sprite: thanks.

Ok
so b-schools run on donations come from alumni.

Private schools have great alumni network.

then what about goverment aided public schools?
Public schools would get finance from two doors alumni & government.

is it so?

dear all, could anyone tell me why public b-schools are poor-ranked?
i also did some googling to find out more about them. but they are not in limelight too.
why is it so?

A function of resources, infrastructure, donations (most schools earn nothing from students) from influential alumni, the ability to invest their donation funds to make the cash pile bigger... all result in giving students the finest in academics, the best faculty both in compensation and competence, sports facilities, extra-curriculars, prestigious degrees, the best companies on campus and consequently grateful alumni who will donate more to the school long term. Just as examples - Harvard, Stanford, Wharton belong to universities whose endowment (donation) funds each exceed $10 Bn. It's all about having built the names over several decades, now having the money to ensure the name is always in the limelight. Nothing wrong with it - just brilliant marketing.

Though the public schools aren't really far behind. U-Michigan, UC Berkeley are well ranked & highly respected schools.