Poor Academic Profile

75 Posts  ·  52 Users
About this group
Need help bigtime. I d joined B.E. after 12th and stayed on for 3 years after which i lost my eligibility to continue to the 2nd year.Now,3 years later,i ve finished my graduation in commerce.I d taken the CAT 05 and XAT as well and my percentiles...
Page 1 of 8

This is a vey old thread of 2006 which has been dug up by Ashu9999 during last October (6th page of thread)!! And since then it has seen sporadic posts.

But there is a sort of official thread where lots of people post and lots of people answer. Here's the link.
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/why-poor-acads-25021573
@Mods - Kindly merge it with the Why Poor Acads? thread or close it, whichever is deemed suitable.

You can DO/KNOW anything, but not everything!!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hey guys..
I am completely new to this and I have never considered doing an MBA before. :)
I have quite a discouraging profile and I am thinking whether I should really think about it or not, because I would only want to graduate from an IIM ( All my friends went there... sigh).
So, about me!
Class X results : 79% ( West Bengal State Board )
Class XII results : 56 % (went horribly horribly wrong.. the reasons are too many) came last in school :D
I wanted architecture but had to take up science for that, which I did not like or enjoy.. Though i did get 94% in science for X.
I tried for AIEEE (IIT was out of question since I could tackle only math, and never chemistry; AIEEE architecture entrance exam required only math)
and got through an NIT ( supposedly one of the best.. LOL)
Did decently (7.75 ). Won a national prize and stuff. Participated in drama, sports etc etc. And won in most!
I have around 1.5 years of experience so far.. But that too as an architect.. Even if I get above 99 percentile, what are my chances really? My role is not even of a managerial one. It is design and execution oriented.
Sigh... Is there a way I can erase my past? I am just so demoralized.

Dude, first up, there is no point in being demoralised, is there? What has happened has happened, now lets start focussing on the future on what we can do... Thats what we puys are good at, and we have loads of people who will help you out on the way (I can say that from personal exp)...

My take on what you have written. You have screwed up your XII, thats true, but again you have done pretty well in B.Arch. So that should boost your confidence. Mate, you have even won on the national arena.

Now moving on to working as an architect. Bro, personally, I am from a construction profile, worked as a structural engineer for 1.5years or so, but still it didn't stop me from going after an MBA, did it. Similarly we have doctors, lawyers, engineers and people from all sorts of trades, who have had no managerial experience till date. So there is no point in cribbing over that fact also.

So now the question is do you really need an MBA. What I meant is are you positive that you want to do an MBA, if your goals are correct, then there is nothing to stop you. Granted, that your academic career can be a hindrance, but there are lots of colleges that will give you a chance on your score alone, IIM C being the prime example.

So don't be disheartened by what has happened and lets look into what we can do.

And if you still feel disheartened, go through this thread... Some of them will be quite motivating...

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/inspiring-stories-of-cat-cracking-or-the-best-of-all-i-wanted-to-speak-about-cat-25025326

All the best !!!
Explore the unexplored

Hey guys..
I am completely new to this and I have never considered doing an MBA before. :)
I have quite a discouraging profile and I am thinking whether I should really think about it or not, because I would only want to graduate from an IIM ( All my friends went there... sigh).
So, about me!
Class X results : 79% ( West Bengal State Board )
Class XII results : 56 % (went horribly horribly wrong.. the reasons are too many) came last in school :D
I wanted architecture but had to take up science for that, which I did not like or enjoy.. Though i did get 94% in science for X.
I tried for AIEEE (IIT was out of question since I could tackle only math, and never chemistry; AIEEE architecture entrance exam required only math)
and got through an NIT ( supposedly one of the best.. LOL)
Did decently (7.75 ). Won a national prize and stuff. Participated in drama, sports etc etc. And won in most!
I have around 1.5 years of experience so far.. But that too as an architect.. Even if I get above 99 percentile, what are my chances really? My role is not even of a managerial one. It is design and execution oriented.
Sigh... Is there a way I can erase my past? I am just so demoralized.

thnx gaurav_hp2004 4 answering.its gd 2 know xlri does't consider acads 4 call.but srry i could nt interpret 2nd part proprly i.e about 65% of weigtage of acads in total if i m not wrong????
thanx
other posts and replies would also be most welcomed!!!!

hi !!!i have querry that is making me quiet anxious.i know there had been lot of discussions already on this........still i want to make it confrm that i am not wasting my time and efforts for preparing mba!!!!!My acads are:
X-84%(CBSE)
XII-69.2%(CBSE)//problem area
B.Tech(72% consistent)2 yr prep gap
and
18 months experience in TCS as Assistent System Enggineer
decent extra curriculum activities.
Do i consider this as poor acads for mba ?

i hv heard that people don't get calls from iims for GD/PI even if they hv avg acads and hv 99% cat score.
so ,i want to know that is it correct,or if yes what about other top B-schools such as FMS,XLRI,NITIE,Jamnalal bajaj, IIFT,Norsee Monjee etc.Do they also consider acads so seriously????

should i go for mba ,and may hv a decent chance of selection based on this acads.?
puys!!plz help.....difficult to decide!!!!!
thanks in advance for answering:lookround:

apart from XLRI (for which interview call is totally xat score based) where factors causing rejections in interview are still unknown , all the otehr ones u have mentioned have a weightage of more than or equal to 65 % in final selection.
so if u do well in written exam and gd pi u can get through easily ....
"Good management consists in showing average people how to do the work of superior people."

hi !!!i have querry that is making me quiet anxious.i know there had been lot of discussions already on this........still i want to make it confrm that i am not wasting my time and efforts for preparing mba!!!!!My acads are:
X-84%(CBSE)
XII-69.2%(CBSE)//problem area
B.Tech(72% consistent)2 yr prep gap
and
18 months experience in TCS as Assistent System Enggineer
decent extra curriculum activities.
Do i consider this as poor acads for mba ?

i hv heard that people don't get calls from iims for GD/PI even if they hv avg acads and hv 99% cat score.
so ,i want to know that is it correct,or if yes what about other top B-schools such as FMS,XLRI,NITIE,Jamnalal bajaj, IIFT,Norsee Monjee etc.Do they also consider acads so seriously????

should i go for mba ,and may hv a decent chance of selection based on this acads.?
puys!!plz help.....difficult to decide!!!!!
thanks in advance for answering:lookround:

Hello,

I heard that if u have poor acads then it is very difficult to get placed in financial companies.
Seniors pls throw some light on this.

Well my profile isn't rly poor but I am not very sure anyways
it goes like this

10th: 90%(ICSE)
12th :91.5%(icse)

B.Tech:7.52/10 NIT DGP (ELE)

Work Ex :15 months as engineer at POWERGRID(PGCIL) a navratna psu

Extra Currics: some prizes in national level quizzes in college and pretty proficient with the guitar( i don't know if that counts)

I have got my cat on 18th nov.....i m woefully out of practise but i am pretty sure I can manage a high 98 or a rly low 99 with all sectionals cleared .....do you think i have a shot at any iim calls with that kind of score and profile?????

not da freshest of daisies anymore,but i can still punch hard.DT, KDT 12
Best of Four subjects. Thank You.. any more suggestions would be welcome! :-)
Will a B.com suffice to get admission in one of the top ten B-schools?
I'm in first year and i aspire to get into one of the best B-schools..
my recent academics are-
10- 90%
12- 92%
i don't want to pursue C.A..but i've thought of these things to do during my graduation to improve my profile..
1) CFA level1
2) NCFM modules
3) FRM
Will any one of these three or all along with a 99+ %ile suffice to gain admission in BLACKI??
Please help?

You have a very good score card. Yes the majority in the IIM's are engineers, but there are students from general stream too ...!!
Focus on CAT and score well there, leave the rest on the IIM peepz. They are smart enough to take an intelligent b'com'er', so to say it than a dumb engineer. So prepare for CAT and do well