Plzz vote---Indian in top 20 Young Asian Entrepreneurs

9 Posts  ·  5 Users
About this group
Hi everyone Please join me in congratulating an Indian, Sasikanth(2000 EEE, BITS, Pilani) who has been nominated to the BusinessWeek Asia's Top 20 Entrepreneurs under 25. Here's the link... _http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/08/asia_e...
Page 1 of 1

@Jackal - with the internet at your feet, research for a few seconds will enlighten you on how 'great pieces of literature' are available absolutely for free. Like you said, since you ain't into these things you wouldn't know - there are certail laws bounding the copyrights of books/ebooks. For instance, if the author is dead for 50 years, all his works do not have any copyright issues anymore. There are numerous such clauses that make 'great pieces of literature' free many a times.

@urmad - 1. Habits is not being built about just a web-site. Numerous things happen offline in Hyderabad.
2. Habits isn't feigning ignorance of IPR and Copyrights. Disclaimers do not come out of ignorance.

Info I found out about Habits - The ebook sharing was started basically to enable members sharing thesis & research papers, self-written stuff (stories, poems, essays etc.) and things like that. But, certain unexpected things happen too (like the romours about pagalguy when it was launched). Here, in Habits some people ain't using the ebook sharing properly. Habits took the necessary action..but, they had to use a previous back-up when they recently lost all the existing base and hence the illegal stuff is back up. Once things are set straight, all illegal stuff will be deleted again.

Check out some of the testimonails of Habits to know how well deserved the lates credential is for them - http://www.habits.in/Testimonials

Cheers!

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hey plz note that the site puts up a disclaimer that goes on like this....

Please NOTE: Do NOT share e-books with copyright issues. Report any such shared e-books to us at sasi@habits.in and we shall remove them off the site immediately. Help us in keeping the site free of pirated material. Lawyers! But ah well, they arent in a permanent Christmas spirit, too.

So, i request you ----

!!! Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity !!!

Hehe...Chillax.....What is the need to get hyper-defensive and stuff....For all that I know, I hardly know any of the people or their company....What I had posted was a "genuine" query and that's why I asked if ppl could explain...If they are voted best, good for them...But ultimately, end of day, there's a whole world of difference if you are trying to build a company around a website and feign ignorance of IP issues. It just ain't done. :)

@Jackal ..No, I am not guessing...My research is not validated ;)

@conv ....Yep.....Those folks with the Schoolmate s/w right.. I've been in touch with Hari (he's among the founders of that company..Same batch as Ramki I blv and yea, a PGite ) for quite a while now....Interesting to see that they have latched up quite a few good customers already....

Cheers
|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||
Jackal -

'Every goddamn book is copyrighted!' - You really think so? There are billions of e-books on the internet (including great literature and very famous works) that are free to be shared.

And comming to what how the admin there is promoting piracy unofficially, this is purely our speculation. Why not know what is happening before giving out statements that hurt other's interests?

I think the mod should also be responsible in this aspect. Nothing wrong pointing out mistakes, but they should be based on sound research rather than whims (especially if the person involved is a mod)

Cheers!

oops oops... well wht i said was tht was my understanding of the plan..
n 2 b very frank i am not into e-books sharing n stuff.. so fail to understand how can 'famous pieces of work' be absolutely free.. not even a sharing licence..
neways b4 any mud slinging let me make it clear we have no intentions here to hurt nebody at all...
so as u introduced the topic y dont u find out how does the whole thing work.. n enlighten us.. as u said urself we were just speculating.. y dun u clear up the fog if any...

cheers

PS: damn i come 2 PG after ages n this is wht happens... :rolling:

Jackal -

'Every goddamn book is copyrighted!' - You really think so? There are billions of e-books on the internet (including great literature and very famous works) that are free to be shared.

And comming to what how the admin there is promoting piracy unofficially, this is purely our speculation. Why not know what is happening before giving out statements that hurt other's interests?

I think the mod should also be responsible in this aspect. Nothing wrong pointing out mistakes, but they should be based on sound research rather than whims (especially if the person involved is a mod)

Cheers!

What am I missing here? I can see download links to popular e-books? Does the site have tie-ups with publishers so people can buy them off there? As far as I can see, ppl need to get a paid account to download e-books for which the site-owners do not have any copyrights or content-sharing agreement with publishers !! (http://www.habits.in/ebooks/home) And they say they do it in the spirit of sharing Either my understanding of commercial websites and pirated websites is completely off or I am missing something bigtime here....Anybody care to clarify ? :)

Cheers

yup thts wht tht disclaimer means.. they will be sharing just non copyrighted material.. but then whts the point.. one will never get to read wht one wants cuz every goddamn book is copyrighted...

or prolly the plan cud be smthing like this.. a link or an e-book gets uploaded n by the time it gets reported as copyrighted stuff.. tons of ppl would have already downloaded it.. n when reported the mod wud graciously take the link off.. but the purpose has already been solved.. ??:

so the website is not promoting piracy officially but actually it is..
wot say subu...??

Hey he is not the only Indian is he. There is also Ramakrishna (Also BITS Pilani) in that same list,who I have had a brief association with. Sheer genius, the man used his cell phone like a remote control for practically turning every device on and off in his room! Great to see him doing so well. And www.habits.in is a firm with lots of offline activities also if I am right. It is not a website alone. Great show!

Hey plz note that the site puts up a disclaimer that goes on like this....

Please NOTE: Do NOT share e-books with copyright issues. Report any such shared e-books to us at sasi@habits.in and we shall remove them off the site immediately. Help us in keeping the site free of pirated material. Lawyers! But ah well, they arent in a permanent Christmas spirit, too.

So, i request you ----

!!! Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity !!!

What am I missing here? I can see download links to popular e-books? Does the site have tie-ups with publishers so people can buy them off there? As far as I can see, ppl need to get a paid account to download e-books for which the site-owners do not have any copyrights or content-sharing agreement with publishers !! (http://www.habits.in/ebooks/home) And they say they do it in the spirit of sharing Either my understanding of commercial websites and pirated websites is completely off or I am missing something bigtime here....Anybody care to clarify ? :)

Cheers

|| Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity ||

Hi everyone

Please join me in congratulating an Indian, Sasikanth(2000 EEE, BITS, Pilani) who has been nominated to the BusinessWeek Asia's Top 20 Entrepreneurs under 25. Here's the link...

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/08/asia_entrepreneurs/index_01.htm?chan=home+page+slideshows

Having watched Sasi from close quarters from the beginning of his venture, I know the challenges he endured not just in the form of capital inadequacy to further expand the business but also the pressures from his family and peers to find a regular 9 to 5 job.Finally his perseverance has won.I hope he acheives what he desires and deserves. You can visit his firm at www.habits.in

I request you all to vote for him, (vote option available at the right end of the pics at the bottom, name:Sasikanth, company name: Habits) and let the spirit of entrpreneurship live.

Lets hope he makes it to the Top 5 at the end of the voting.

Great going and good luck guys!