PI preparation: Academics: PHARMACY!

7 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
*How to approach Pharmacy related questions for interview* No need to prepare minute details like Chemical structure of Morphine or Digitalis! They (usually) don't grill non-engineers for acad question :D Here is how you should cover pha...
Page 1 of 1
problem/update
it seems forum software is reducing the resolution of my uploaded images, therefore text is not clearly visible.
No problem, i shall upload the material on google docs. Keep watching this following folder:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9AJvFSzIyiwSF8xMlNyQWUya0U/edit

bye for now.
2 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Mindmaps: psycho-gastro-respiratory disorders: reason, therapy, drugs
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Mindmaps: CVS Drugs, Heart ailments: drugs, therapy

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Word-file: Table of Disease- cause-drugs
Actually i started constructing this table with much entusiasm but couldn't finish it in time. So, I'm just uploading the half finished "product" here. See the attached file.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Mindmaps: Antibiotics and CNS drugs
(Download the attached files.)
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Cadila: Blockbuster products
1.VaxiFlu-s,the first Indian-made H1N1 vaccine
2.Cadila Pharma have developed a drug named Risorin which has reduced the cost of curing TB by 33%.
3.Sugar Free, India's most popular artificial sweetener
4.Nutralite, India's most popular cholesterol-free margarine.
5.butter and margarine is that butter is derived from animal fats (typically milk fats) while margarine is derived from plant fats (oils) and skim milk.

Cadila Plants

1.Vatwa plant - Zydus Cadila's plant at Vatwa, an industrial suburb of Ahmedabad, makes products for Animal Health care division of the company.
2.Baddi plant - In 2004 Zydus commissioned at formulation plant at Baddi, in Himachal Pradesh state of northern India. The Baddi plant makes solid oral pharmaceuticals.
3.Sikkim plant - In 2008 Zydus commissioned at formulation plant at Majhitar, in Sikkim state of eastern India. The Sikkim plant makes solid oral pharmaceuticals and hormones. This plant now caters almost all Domestic Formulation needs of the Company.

Cipla
1.Founded by nationalist Indian scientist Khwaja Abdul Hamied as The Chemical, Industrial & Pharmaceutical Laboratories in 1935,
2.low-cost anti-AIDS drugs for HIV-positive patients in developing countries.
3.Cipla is the world's largest manufacturer of antiretroviral drugs
4.ARVs) to fight HIV/AIDS,
5.2008, Cipla won a court case in India allowing it to manufacture a cheaper generic version of oseltamivir, marketed by Hoffmann-La Roche (Roche) under the trade name Tamiflu, under the Cipla tradename Antiflu.
6.Cipla announced that Oseltamivir 75 mg capsules marketed as `Antiflu` by the company

Ranbaxy Laboratories
•company went public in 1973 and Japanese pharmaceutical company Daiichi Sankyo gained majority control in 2008
•was started by Ranbir Singh and Gurbax Singh in 1937 as a distributor for a Japanese company
•Ranbaxy is a combination of the names of its first owners Ranbir and Gurbax.
•Headquarters Gurgaon, Haryana, India
•2005, Ranbaxy's shares were hit hard by a patent ruling disallowing production of its own version of Pfizer's cholesterol-cutting drug Lipitor, which has annual sales of more than $10 billion
•2008, the Food and Drug Administration issued two Warning Letters to Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. and an Import Alert for generic drugs produced by two manufacturing plants in India.

Ranbaxy products
•the generic version of Lipitor
•Revital is a brand of health supplement owned and marketed over the counter by Ranbaxy Laboratories
•Revital is a daily food supplement that has a combination of vitamins, minerals and ginseng
•Ginseng is a herb that has been actively researched in various parts of the world where it is taken as food supplement for improving vitality of the body
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
How to approach Pharmacy related questions for interview

No need to prepare minute details like Chemical structure of Morphine or Digitalis! They (usually) don't grill non-engineers for acad question :D

Here is how you should cover pharma topics:

1. Overview of Various branches in Pharmacy
2. Classification of drugs.
3. Basic principles of how drug works (ADME and stuff) How is it different in homeopathy etc.
4. Major diseases: reasons, diagnosis and therapies. (diabetes, BP, migraine etc.)
5. Equipment/machinery required to setup drug factory, pathology lab, clinical research institute etc.
5. Manufacturing process of some important drugs (penicillin)
6. Major companies of India and world + their blockbuster drugs.
7. Patent wars and new research in cancer, malaria, Delhi superbug, drug resistance, clinical-trials controversies, drug-pricing and SC order etc.

I would like to kick start this thread with brief overview of big Indian pharma companies Note: these are old notes (prepared for my IIM Ranchi interview in early 2012.)
Many things may have changed now. Since I no longer aspire to do MBA, these are useless to me. You €™re free to use and update this material as per your requirements.

Cadila

Ramanbhai Patel,father of Pankaj Patel founded Cadila Laboratories in 1952.
1995, the company got divided and Pankaj inherited the Zydus Cadila group
Both partners agreed to share the name-Cadila for their individual groups, namely Cadila Healthcare and Cadila Pharmaceuticals.
Pankaj enjoys 75% stake in listed flagship Cadila Health care and makes branded and generic drugs and rabies vaccines.
Cadila Healthcare group's Zydus Wellness makes Sugar Free, the nation's most selling substitute for sugar.
Pankaj's leadership,the company has risen to being the fifth largest pharmaceutical company in India.
API to formulations, animal health products and cosmeceuticals.
employer to 12,000 people worldwide.
Cadila and Eli Lilly together,are developing a cardiovascular drug
Patel says he's prepared for the long haul: "What we do tomorrow is more important than what we did yesterday".

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...