Phoren MBA ... he dreamz

35 Posts  ·  31 Users
About this group
Hi all I am 23 ... looking to apply for Fall 07. I am still to take GMAT and am trying hard to get my fundae straight about the whole B-school app. process. I would have written an elaborate post introducing myself ... but there isnt muc...
Page 1 of 4

Yikes!!! Bumping up a 2 yr old thread???

Locked.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

ram,

the best time to take the GMAT is july/aug. this gives you time to prepare and send your applications in the first round. the earlier you apply the better it is.

Gautam,

Bschools give a lot importance to these activities. There is no such activity that they prefer, but anything that shows you are socially responsible should do. You have a year or so and you can use this time to get involved in some activity.

hi this is ram,,,,, i want to take admission in 2009 may june session .. in any top mba institute like iim , isb etc want to dealy gmat exam as far as possible ..when can i plan for that,,,,,

Hi all.. I m a new member to this forum... currently a final year engineering student, got job in an IT firm...

I wanted to know what importance do top b-schools abroad give to extra-curricular activities?

After 2-3 yrs of work-ex do extra-currics from college have any weightage?

Any specific activity having more importance?

Any other info in welcome...

Please reply...

1).If I get an admit in anyone in 2007: I'll go ahead and join. Not to mention that some of them are higher on my priority list while others come down the line.
Then you havent even taken a shot at the best right?? Taken your chances and seen what becomes of your application at the very best there is ....

2).If I dont get an admit in 2008: Well first I am keeping my fingers crossed that it should not happen and second I'll definitely go with some safety schools to save my self from catastrophe .
Thats understandable .... but in this case, why take the pain of applying to safety schools in 07 and again in 08 ... why not go with the whole lot in 08 and get it over with !!!

I am not going to wait for one more year as already my hair have started falling...
This is something that has come to my notice also ... my darned barber has to bring it up every time I pay him a visit ... I might sue him for emotional trauma someday !!!

Infact I am hopeful to finish it off in FALL 2007 only...Keep going...
I would love to do that too ... but I guess there are pros and cons of the whole thing. And I have realised that I am now in no hurry to go anywhere. I am going to do things at a pace and at a time that suits me. I dont care if I waste an year or two in the process (I'll see to it that I party enough so that its not a total waste though). I just feel ... all the stress is not worth it. Bottomline: When I know I have what it takes to get in ... I will. Tell me more about your exact reasons for "finishing 'it' off."

PS: Kindly share your schools list as it may be helpful for me and others.
School list ... well ... no researsh done yet ... just "Phoren MBA dreamz" !!! But I will choose 4 schools ... 2 from the top 10 and 2 from the next 10. If it doesnt work out at any of them ... its adios to them from me!

Zilch

:robot: ... Me finds a cool one too
yes even i feel that I need a great reason to justify my back-to-back mba's... i wanted to do that because i wanted to specialize in Financial Engineering from CMU.... which is extremely tough to get in... and since I am from a non-finance background i really wanted to get my fundamentals right before competing against the best in CMU as it is teh most reputed institue for finance......

I have decent amount of social service as well behind me to make my profile a bit more well-rounded.... but do u guys think that I am at severe disadvantage as I am doing a back-to-back MBA..... i wanna immediately do it as I cant afford to waste 1 more year working and then applying due to some family constraints........

Some good points there .... Here are some more ...

The Hard Facts:
1. You MUST realise that from the Ad Com perspective you are what we call in India a "fresher." Your exp. after engg will not hold any value for them.
2. You cant got to them saying that you wanted to get the fundas right and thats why you took an MBA as a primer.
3. Social service will just round-off your profile and will come into picture if you are matched against someone else for 1 seat, it will not influence the decision of whether you should be considered for a seat ... I hope you see my point.
4. GMAT though GREAT will act only as a hygeine factor.

Options IMHO:
1. As I said earlier, it might be the biggest disadvantage or the biggest boon. Too much weighs on the presentation and the perception of your story. So if you want it badly and want it RIGHT NOW ... give it a shot with a low aspiration level.

2. I have seen 40 yr olds from Ukrain and all go for US MBAs on the forums. So if you can manage your family constraints ... get at least 3 yrs of work exp at a good Fin consulting firm in India. Mumbai is a great place for such work and Delloitte seems to be recruiting every which way. That will give you a sure shot way to your dream of FE at CMU. And your GMAT will be valid till then. See to it that you are on a fast track in your time at the firm .. plus .. get a life ... go on a great holiday maybe ... have some fab. stories to tell for your 3 yrs.

3. Look at other options ... maybe you can find a MSc prog. at some Euro Univs that are equally good in FE .. or who knows ... a fast track PhD prog. That way your story goes like .... I did MBA .. and went like "woah!!! FE is da thing" and so I am here to get an advanced degree. And MSc.s and PhD.s from nice univs have more value than we tend to associate with them. MBA takes all the glamour.

The Philosophy:
1. Every thing works out fine in the end ... and its only at the end that you will be able to join all the dots and say ... ok ... thats what happened in MBA #1 and thats what I did after that and here I am rt now. So just chillax ... you'll make it just fine.

Zilch
Wow!!!! First of all thanks a lot guys. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many great inputs..... thanks a lot Zilch, TimeWellWasted and others for your insights....

yes even i feel that I need a great reason to justify my back-to-back mba's... i wanted to do that because i wanted to specialize in Financial Engineering from CMU.... which is extremely tough to get in... and since I am from a non-finance background i really wanted to get my fundamentals right before competing against the best in CMU as it is teh most reputed institue for finance......

I have decent amount of social service as well behind me to make my profile a bit more well-rounded.... but do u guys think that I am at severe disadvantage as I am doing a back-to-back MBA..... i wanna immediately do it as I cant afford to waste 1 more year working and then applying due to some family constraints........

Hope to help you guys as well with whatever info i have.... as mentioned earlier if any1 wants any info on GMAT or any material they are more than welcome to contact me....

CHEERS!!!!

hey,

from watever little i know, some of the colleges refuse admission to a person already holding an MBA. u can get info on this query on the FAQ section of the colleges u are targetting. Invariably, this question is thr on most college's FAQ. so i suggest u chk tht out first.
Wow!!!! First of all thanks a lot guys. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many great inputs..... thanks a lot Zilch, TimeWellWasted and others for your insights....

Hope to help you guys as well with whatever info i have.... as mentioned earlier if any1 wants any info on GMAT or any material they are more than welcome to contact me....

CHEERS!!!!

Hi Buddy,
It's great to see a superb score from u in GMAT

I would like to add my penny to what Zilch had said that as u r plaanin to go in for a back to back MBA not only have to justify about the reason for doing so but also about the 'extra heavy' reason for why u are not looking forwrd to extract from your post MBA work experience
This u can go ahead with explaining about the desired work field which u are looking forward to work in to, once u get through wid your current MBA.

Take care just to sound FIRM while mentioning that u after having such n such pre MBA experience , already have a plan reagarding your career prospects which ur current MBA is gonna offer you
but how they are not as per ur own plans...

May be for the way & approach to explain the same ,i suppose all the forum frens wud be more than able to help u ..

Cheers fren

CHEERS!!!!

Great score dude.
I don't think you are at a severe disadvantage but yes you need to convince the schools abt your back to back MBAs. Second weakness in your app process is only 2 yr work ex. Also since you are doing back to back MBAs so the question that can be asked is what have you learnt from your first MBA and why don't you first put your learnings to practice first and then do second MBA? Family constraint reason needs to be a very strong one for you to convince them.
By the way, from which college are you doing your MBA in Mumbai?

For the GMAT material and info, sure how can i contact you? I will send a PM to you regarding my contact info. I believe you can also PM me for your contact info.
I am right now just doing some research on schools and univ. so any help/prior exp from people like you is very helpful.