PhD/FPM (Fellow Programme in Management)

1,449 Posts  ·  7,041 Users
About this group

Hi,

This group will discuss on queries for FPM 2016 onwards; through CAT or similar Tests.

Page 1 of 145

Which Non IIM institutes are good for PhD/FPM Marketing - How are MDI, IMT Ghz., IMI, MICA, Christ University? 

1 comment
kiran.mahasuar
@kiran.mahasuar  ·  16 karma

MDI & XLRI are good and PhD/FPMs from these institutes are working across top B-Schools including IIMs. IMI and IMT's programmes are fairly new and hence it would be unfair to compare them with older established FPM programmes.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The basic eligibility criteria for a FPM/EFPM is a 2-years Masters. Which indian B-Schools have this clause relaxed for elibility? 

1 comment
samansmit
@samansmit  ·  6 karma

All IIMs

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

What are good options in India to do a PhD in Consumer behaviour (Qualitative research with an inclination towards psychology and emotions) 

1 comment
aroras429
@aroras429  ·  27 karma

I know about IIM A and U. In my knowledge, ISB currently doesn't have CB faculty. Please check with someone in ISB

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi guys... i have a gmat score of 580..I am an MBA in Marketing from premier school (batch topper).. work ex 3 years in Market Research... graduation is average... i have a PWD reservation...  - Is this good enough to get me through PhD Marketing (Consumer behaviour) at IIM B or other IIMs ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Is there any standard format of LOR for FPM? If anybody has some formats, please share.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

With a score of 80%ile in cat and being a GEM with moderate academic marks i.e in the 70s , what all FPM courses of different colleges can be targetted for a conversion ?

6 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 6
samansmit
@samansmit  ·  6 karma

Try to understand about operations management. If you are able to understand the concepts, apply to new IIMs.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
aroras429
@aroras429  ·  27 karma

Its really important to narrow down the fields in which u r interested.  Look at the current research practices under each area. That may help. Applying for doctoral course in IIMs or any other institute, the area(s) should be clear

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Phd in marketing from iit kgp is good or should wait for IIM?

Sanjay Saw
2 comments
manu3047
@manu3047  ·  204 karma

This is not a place for comparison. Go to the faculty profile of both institutes for the area in which you want to do PhD. Compare their research output and the papers published by them. You will get your answer. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
kiran.mahasuar

@saw462 : Adding two cents to @manu3047 : Not all great researchers are good guides and this is true for Indian academics as well as the US/European ones. Secondly, you have to understand that guide selection is a quasi-political process and ideally, a guide should be one who can shield you in the system whilst ensuring the rigor and relevance of your thesis. Having a guide who is well published and a great hand in managing intra-institute administrative/political processes is a great thing to have but we seldom get that combination in academia. Also, publishing in top-tier journal takes time and from a job market perspective, to get that initial break, it helps to have a solid footing in understanding a MBA system as it is. To be an effective teacher, it is essential to understand the curriculum demands from a pedgaogical point of view and the perspective of those pursuing PGP. In this context, IIMs score over IITs.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I got only 71 marks in CAT. Excepting upto 75%le. Is it possible to get a call with good research and academic background with this percentile from any IIM?

6 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 6
samansmit
@samansmit  ·  6 karma

I found that only IIM B and K relay on IIMB test. I think this year IIM I is not conducting it's own test. If I can apply any other without cat, please inform me.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  1 like  ·  
aroras429
@aroras429  ·  27 karma

@samansmit Then apply at least in B and K. Keep checking websites of other IIMs for more info and clarity.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

at what score in CAT(general category) one can convert FPM call at A/B/C?

The Goal
2 comments
manu3047
@manu3047  ·  204 karma

CAT is only one parameter out of many. Your SoP, LoR and profile have higher weitages. I have seen 99 %iler not getting a call and an 84 %iler getting a call in Economics area in A.

kiran.mahasuar

@kshitijp61 Agree with @manu3047 . A lot depends on your SOP and the alignment with the area faculty's research interests. Having said that anything above 95%ile should be safe. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

From this year reservation is approved for all IIMs for FPM. (Exception IIMA). Does anyone has any idea, will the CAT cut-,off be lower for OBC as compare to General category?

10 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 10
samansmit
@samansmit  ·  6 karma

So, according to you- a person with good research background has a good chance to get interview call at even 85 percentile?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
manu3047
@manu3047  ·  204 karma

@samansmit Yup...

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...