Past acads no cause for worry during admissions - IIM Calcutta's Prof Anup K Sinha

279 Posts  ·  175 Users
About this group
******************** NOTE ******************* * Hi everyone, This interview is more than 4 years old and since then most IIMs have revealed their admissions criteria. So it is recommended that readers use their best judgment in using the in...
Page 1 of 28

Hi everyone,

This interview is more than 4 years old and since then most IIMs have revealed their admissions criteria. So it is recommended that readers use their best judgment in using the information given here at face value. I am closing the thread for any further discussions.

Apurv

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi! I have a query on academic performance, since the IIMs are giving more weightage to it now.
10th- 96%
12th- 91%
1st yr- 69.9%
2nd yr- 69.8%
Are these scores good enough? There is a declining trend though, and I am pretty scared about how I will justify this.I am pursuing Eco. Hons by the way.I have done some good work in my recent internship with a reknowned bank. I am also heavily involved in extra curriculars. Can you give me suggestions as in how to add to my CV in the most effective way, in this final year?
Thanks for your time
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Its a fact of life that the more difficult something is to get, the higher its perceived value. The diamond industry controls the supply of diamonds so that people pay more for existing lumps of carbon.

The same reason is why top Universities in the world (Harvard, Wharton etc.) do not want to start campuses of their own outside the US is because it will 'dilute' their value.

Only solution is to create more High quality B Schools which are actually geared towards industry needs & let students have a range of options.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hiiiiiii
Guys plz tell me some good clg of mat in delhi,banglore,and hyderabad.actually i am very confused to choose any clg because every clg tell that in their clg placement and faculty is too good.so plz guys help me:o

plz tell me guys about some good clg of mat
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hiiiiiii
Guys plz tell me some good clg of mat in delhi,banglore,and hyderabad.actually i am very confused to choose any clg because every clg tell that in their clg placement and faculty is too good.so plz guys help me:o

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

which is best mba coaching institute in kolkata

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
These figures are only for 10th and 12th scores, Bachelor's scores matter really less in most B-School selection -Elite School Placements are a whole new story though- up until now bachelors degree marks have very less weighate if any, unless you want to torment yourself with geeksin CERTAIN B-schools for the most important two years of your life and lose out on peer learning that is by far the biggest asset of an IIM (not its professors andunfortuantely more so increasingly) (Which is WHY I think IIM-C will continue to get Higher and Higher in Ranking and which is why IIM-A had to reverse its irrevocable line in 2008 "we realise people with consistent scores with 10th and 12th are only good enough" etc and go back on its word and bite its lips.)

People with less than 60 -> 99.9+(anything less and I I M sorry, infact they might be sorry even if you make it, only very very very few people make it) In BCG's term, DOG par excellance :D

People with less than 65 -> 99.5 + In BCG's term, DOG

People with less than 70 -> 99.5 + In BCG's term, DOG

People with more than 70 -> in BCG's term its a question mark

People with more than 80 -> in BCG's term its a Star

People with more than 90 -> in BCG's term a CASH COW or someone that IIM can milk and ship him out as a finished good real easy. some calls will come to you at 84%ile as well : form next year may be even at 74 %ile due to 5 more IIMs opening who won't have enough weird criteria to look forward to and hence will have to look towards your academic record to derail you from the track.

Please don't hope for subjective evaluation of your career track record any time soon because most B-Schools wont even throughly check your marks, work, extra-curricular certificates in India. They much rather give you an interview worth of 5 mins which again will concentrate on "what is median my boy? or tell me the 2nd derivative of this and that or if you were the army general of pakistan army who had to cross a stream, would you take a decision to cross the stream on basis of mean, mode or median depth? or what came first? chicken or egg? difference between gsm and cdma(this last Q is so cliched that even non-engineers know the answer :|)" and while the professors may laugh and make you uncomfortable, they need to be reminded that they are haplessly copying questions from sources unknown to the student and hence getting away with it so if you are thinking that the guy infront of you is brilliant because he is asking such questions -think again because all the sources of these questions could be dated back to the mid 70's : if you do enough research, including the questions on the cat paper on all 3 fronts which are shameless copies of questions from various sources that an average joe has no idea of. well average joe has the idea because he is joe and so will his uncle sam, the average ram may not (please decipher)

You are not here to serve the IIMs, They are here to serve you so taht you get an education that empowers you drive the India of tomorrow. Fine I will make it more realistic, No one in the IIMs care who you are and what you do, All they care about is if you can be shipped out of IIM as a branded product very very fast. So ask that question to yourself and get going.

So , If you know you are brilliant and if you have low scores think long term and plan strategically, even try and go abroad if situations permit you. Don't languish in a place which doesn't value your intellect. Neither your girlfriend nor your neighbours will know the nitty-gritties and thus will only judge you by your failure. So don't fail but chart an untravelled path.
Remember, the road less taken made all the differnce? :grin:

It felt as if Gordon Gekko's soul's interspersed you dude! The most apt situation of present day India. I suggest you go even further and make a script of this...hirani would make a billion dollar film out of this

Meanwhile, I also think there are a lot of "not verified" facts which you can throw light on. I know they are in your mind. It may be groaned but it would serve puys in the long term.

Cheers!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
catoholic2011 Says
does past acads affect admissions to other colleges like FMS, XLRI, IIT's........etc..???

Monkey See, Monkey Do
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

does past acads affect admissions to other colleges like FMS, XLRI, IIT's........etc..???

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hey puys..
stop worrying about your past acads.. it is something that is not in your hands now.. give your best shot in CAT and whatever exams you are taking... do well in GD/PI... and hope for the best...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...