part-time/ full time MBA at the age of 30

9 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
hi, I have 8 yrs experience in IT. I have done my MCA full time and currently working in Singapore at a bank in Technology as an architect. However I feel that my career has hit a ceiling and I have turned 30 this year. I spent about 4.5 year...
Page 1 of 1

Zoombie, with laptop and hostel etc IBS-Hyd will gross up abt 9 lacs for 2 years. Be very sure abt yourself before you join IBS-Hyd. ROI is min 2 yrs even if you gross a 5-6CTC package which is avg. At higher end UBS has offered abt 8lpa CTC in IBS-Hyd. students will be 1000 this year and campus 40 kms from city.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
hii sudhir sir!
can u plz tell howz is icfai hyderabad ?
is it worthfull to join it for such a huge fees( around 6.65 lakhs tution fees only !!!)
plz do provide some valuable sugestion as early as possible as i hav got is icfai hyd
thx in advance

Hi,
It all depends on your purpose of doing MBA plus your background weightage.. Compared to other IBS branches, Hyd is anytime rated better. No doubt about it, but shelling out 6.5 lac for the course makes a good return if you are confident on beating the wild competition out there to score a reasonable placement.
I am from IBS chennai center, current students do have some corporate contacts as Plan B at the time of placements. Ofcourse, who can afford 6.5 per course, those upper middle class. In which case, they will have some contacts to work out at the end.. that is the mantra running here.

So, I suggest you need to consider lot of other factors in joining IBS even Hyd center for that matter.
All the best
Hi Roger,

Me too seek a similar advice..
I am an MBA from ICFAI business school working in a MNC for past 3 and 1/2 years..
Aiming only at IIM's, as this tag will make a huge difference in my future career.
Very keen in cracking CAT 2007.. failed in CAT2006 with very bad overall percentile.

However, gained a good realisation on the week points and potentials..interested in somehow taking up CAT 2007.

Convinced my family for this step at this age and present family circumstances, as my family belongs to an agrarian society, none are highly educated.. my current achievement(PG and MNC job) itself is proudful for them. But still I am not satisfied with this and want to make a real difference by taking this step. Finally managed a good encouragement from the family members.

Can I expect a valuable suggestions or comments or warnings anything for that matter...

Thanks...

Hi Sudhir, CAT/IIM may not be a very good idea after IBS. I m not sure which IBS branch you passed out from. An IIM PGDM may not make a huge difference as you feel, ground realities are different from the crore salaries you see in media(they are the highest grossers). Preferably look at ISB or similar for a second MBA.
Hi Roger,

I am an MBA from ICFAI business school working in a MNC for past 3 and 1/2 years..
Aiming only at IIM's, as this tag will make a huge difference in my future career.
Very keen in cracking CAT 2007.. failed in CAT2006 with very bad overall percentile.

However, gained a good realisation on the week points and potentials..interested in somehow taking up CAT 2007.

Convinced my family for this step at this age and present family circumstances, as my family belongs to an agrarian society, none are highly educated.. my current achievement(PG and MNC job) itself is proudful for them. But still I am not satisfied with this and want to make a real difference by taking this step. Finally managed a good encouragement from the family members.

Can I expect a valuable suggestions or comments or warnings anything for that matter...

Thanks...

hii sudhir sir!
can u plz tell howz is icfai hyderabad ?
is it worthfull to join it for such a huge fees( around 6.65 lakhs tution fees only !!!)
plz do provide some valuable sugestion as early as possible as i hav got is icfai hyd
thx in advance

Hi Roger,

Thanks...

A CFA (AIMR-US) may serve your purpose along with exec MBA from IIM'A/B/C which you can do without leaving your job.

hi..balaji,

Firstly, nice to meet you. I am happy that you have this burning desire that you need to do something better, because i had the same for the last 8 mths and have just recently got through ISB. Saw your message and could not help responding.

As i understand , your objective is to make a career transition into financial services by way of upgrading your skills and knowledge. So you will have to address 2 questions -
1 - how important is it to be able to make the shift, is it absolutely crucial for you to be happy?
2 - How do your dependands think about taking a break?

The reason i asked the above is because, i have been in a similar boat, am 31 have spend 8 yrs in the FMCG industry but am now very keen to get into consulting. But doing a part time MBA is like trying to take a short cut, all you will get in the end is a degree. An MBA has to be treated more than just a salary packet. So full time is the way you should go, because it will enable to 3 things
1 - Upgrade your skills in a very rigorous settting
2 - Placements will provide you a platform to target Financial services companies without having to sacrifice relevant experience in comparison with a direct application to a finance co.
3 - Helps you build and maintain a network that keeps u in the market all the time.

The above there factors are possible only if u do a full time. So i would suggets that u dont take a short cut and do the full time.

cheers.. all the best
roger

Curious - are you looking at B-Schools only from India?

There are some very reputed 1-year courses abroad (INSEAD, Queen's). INSEAD has a good reputation around the world, so you won't see a problem getting back to India after MBA.

If you're looking at India only, then surely look at the PGP-X courses from IIMs: One Year Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (each IIMs has a differently structured course)

I know that many institutes, including IIM-Bangalore, offer part-time courses. Can't help with more details though - you may look at the threads in this forum: http://www.pagalguy.com/gmat

hi,

I have 8 yrs experience in IT. I have done my MCA full time and currently working in Singapore at a bank in Technology as an architect. However I feel that my career has hit a ceiling and I have turned 30 this year. I spent about 4.5 years abraod. I am married.

As for me, I am not enjoying my work that much as I would have liked it initially to be. I am feeling a new fond love for business, stocks, equities, capital markets and business management on the whole instead of purely technology and want to get back to the classroom to learn it. There is a burning desire in me past 6-8 months to learn business management in finance.

I have choices to make and I am right now inclined to pursue an mba degree program as soon as possible. In my quest to study, I intend to do either a 1 year course from ISB or equivalent. I am planning to take up GMAT this year.

Just wanted to know if there are options of a part-time course from top schools in India because that would allow me to work in India and study part time instead of full time.

Also in my age bracket(30 yrs) if there are guys who have done or preparing for MBA and active in this forum, do respond how you guys are planning to achieve your dream and planning this phase of life.

thanks.