[PaGaLGuY Explores] MBA, but not for profit

12 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
A chance conversation we were having revealed that two to three ISB - Hyderabad alumni directly join the social sector every year. We explored further and found more MBA graduates from other B-schools such as IIFM Bhopal and Said - Oxford who are ...
Page 1 of 2
Apurv Says
Awesome! I think this happened last year too... one guy interned with CPI-M. Any idea what he's doing now? Would be interesting to know :)

I think he got into one of the top consultancy firms. Not sure if he is in the social sector practice. Many of the consults these days have a practice dealing with the social sector.
http://luciferhouseinc.blogspot.in/
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Here is an article that came up today about some of the initiatives at IIM-A

IIM-A grads to work with CPI-M leader

Awesome! I think this happened last year too... one guy interned with CPI-M. Any idea what he's doing now? Would be interesting to know 😃
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

Here is an article that came up today about some of the initiatives at IIM-A

IIM-A grads to work with CPI-M leader

Many bright MBAs taking up jobs in the social sector can be a great blessing both globally and also within the country.
Globally many organisations tackling against poverty,involved in promoting health care, education need more and more managers to improve and grow.

Media just hypes up the fancy numbers(read as salaries of top school MBAs) rather than highlighting these social contributions. But hats off to PG for this article.

Some One is nurturing a dream to go to best B-school since his graduation times. His aspirations become high when he listens to more high pay packages and of course with the white-collar job they get.
This has become the thinking of around 98% (INDIAN)aspirants who appear for MBA. After getting into IIMs why one will want to do a job which will involve begging from donors where general mentality remains that only 10% of donation will be utilised in the real social work.

But its better if some people are really going to change this perception.

Often, the problem in India is that most of the social sector ventures are not run professionally!
They lack seriousness, commitment and they just want to continue their existence on subsidy and grants.
Most of the money coming to the organisation is not effeciently utilised.
In the end it becomes a "vicious cycle" - less money to operate, less money to pay, the best talent don't want to come and add value or create value, funding remains a problem as funding agencies are not very convinced....
Thankfully, the situation seems to be changing for better!

Its really heartening to know that more people are indeed opting for social sector.... though personally i feel there is more scope and need for MBA grads in these sectors...But the problem is partly with our social structure and expectation of people specially family from an MBA grad... MBAs are generally attributed with a fat pay packet(particularly true if u r pursuing it frm a top notch college), which in most cases is difficult to refute... The labor gone in achieving the feat of reaching a top college makes it extra difficult....

Working in social sector in our country is considered a selfless job devoid of profits and perks and good pay. That proves to be a great hindrance. Neither there are enough donors nor enough people to take up the job restricting it to some individuals who weigh their responsibilities more then their needs. But this does not help in solving the problem as such individuals are few... It devoid the social service sector of the talent it needs desperately to work in a better and more efficient way and in lending its services to deprived sections....

What we need is corporates coming out in open and lend their support to these organizations so that even MBAs can seriously think of lending into the job full time then just extending their expertise....
An another solution can be setting up of trusts and bodies by the corporates to assist these organizations, not only in monetary terms but also by intellectual capital..... The institutions should remould their content to serve the society and should have courses to help people achieve these objectives... but the institutions will oblige only when there is demand from the industry....
I feel what happens in future will largely depend upon what role our corporates are willing to pursue... Whether they are goin to be concerned only in profit making exercise or they are willing to help society improve without waiting for the government to do some miracle

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

IIM, Ahmedabad offers ample oppurtunities in these kind of areas for those who are interested. In first year, we have a compulsory course called indian social and political environment, one component of which is a live social project. In second year also electives are offered in this area. We had courses such 'Good governance law and poverty', 'creativity innovation and network entreprenuerhip' etc. as electives. Last year lot of students took up projects with Nancy Barry foundation and worked on such projects with students of Harvard, MIT etc. We also had a social entrepreneurship fair last year. I think new curriculum has some compulsory social sector project. Not sure about this.

But none of the students took up full time employment in the social sector. However there was lot of interest in the various sych activities. One person actually did his summer internship with the CPI(M).