overpriced and overstated iims

61 Posts  ·  31 Users
About this group
This is one thread i'm sure not many would like :argue: but here goes my 2 cents, getting into an iim is a matter of one day, u crack cat on that day and one conversion is almost guaranteed , to get into iima i concede is difficult but with all ...
Page 1 of 7

well this is becoming like a troll ..
but i would like to tell u some thing ...

all these iims are a much hyped up issue only. i belive that they have industry contacts and select only the ones they want. in actuality management education is not given fairly.

Dude i am convinced tht it does nt happen at all
this is my 2nd attempt ... at cat and now am success ful .. but forgte industry contacts
ths occurs more in foreign Univs ....
How do u think Ambanis, \kumarmangalam birla ... etc got their foreign b school degrees ..
i am not degrading them but htey wudnt have had they not been from an industrialist family... again my view and debatable

take me for example
i have cleared IIFT, ATMA (93 %), JMET,GRE,TOEFl(293) etc.

and the guyz at CAt gave me 26%. i mean this sucks man. they have i believe interchanged my score with sum1 they have eyed!

or it may have been either a genuinine clerical error .. (u dunno wht happens with computers ???) .. but i doubt ..
may be a bad day ..
u didnt darken the correct circles ...
and toefl english is crap .. u may have not attempted many questions ..
if u still have ur cat paper just take it and try figure out ur score ...
there are many areas where there might have been a mistake ..

wrote to dholakia n murli manohar joshi. no reply.

Well looking at their positoins they have much mmore work tha nto reply t o u ..
u cud infact have called up admissions office .. or emailed to them ...
(or u mihgt have done tht)

i think the management entrance system in india sucks and is biased and baseless. A beeter system like the all round year GMAt with Statement of Purpose n work ex is better.

what do you say

the dude
( i am waitin 4 hate mailz)

if u feel so .. reach some level where u can change the system and then do so ..
tht too by reasoning not brute force .. if u do so even education mininster didnt succeed..

Else be a part of the system and learn to adapt and compete

regds
nirav
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hey thedude,listen this out

garuda dude,
i did not say every1 who makes it has industry contact. but the trend is there. i see no explanation that why a school topper in english(springdales school, one of the better known schools) , commonwealth essay competition certificate guy, 293/300 in toefl, magazine editor for college magazine cum freelance writer should get 32 %(percentile) in english in the cat??
this one is surely for the x files !!!!!

My school topper in english didnt make it IIMs (im sorry but springdales doesnt ring a bell)
A friend of mine got 293/300 in toefl but didnt make it (Dont see the point there, everyone tells me toefl is a piece of cake)
Magazine editor/freelance writer...dude...taking that logic,we shud have many (many many) more people cracking the verbal section. (Hope you get the point here)

Secondly, That point u make about lower institutions being penalized. Well,i dunno how far that can be accepted cos there r just 6 iims in the country and that definitely doesnt "produce" all the managers india needs. There are other good institutes which are just as good as the iims. So,i do not know how these "lower institutions being penalized" thingy comes in.

matlab IIM se bahar karne ka zyada fayda nahi hai? or even " best managers are from IIM".
the world's richest man is a college dropout. its not the degree but the man holding it that counts!

Dude, Just by being an IIM passout will not ensure the world at your feet. You become what you become only by how well you use the facilities at your disposal. In that sense i accept what u say,but then again, its easier to be a better manager by having the best education possible rather than by doing any normal course or by not getting a degree at all!

KJSom is a good college,make the best outta it 😁 Bye,
Regards,
Garuda
garuda dude,
i did not say every1 who makes it has industry contact. but the trend is there. i see no explanation that why a school topper in english(springdales school, one of the better known schools) , commonwealth essay competition certificate guy, 293/300 in toefl, magazine editor for college magazine cum freelance writer should get 32 %(percentile) in english in the cat??

Maybe that guy shd learn how to darken the bubbles properly.
as for the biased n stuff, yar dekho IIM guyz are protected under the canopy of institution that is decades old. big companies wannna visit them(no doubt the students there have talent), but the smaller institutions are penalised(if you know what i mean).matlab IIM se bahar karne ka zyada fayda nahi hai? or even " best managers are from IIM".

Its back to square 1 again! So why did you apply for CAT ?
the world's richest man is a college dropout. its not the degree but the man holding it that counts!

Got into KJ Som rt ? Then dont join it. Dont do an MBA. and prove everyone that to be the world's richest man (atleast India's) you dont need an MBA. Im waiting to see your name in Business Mags. All the best 😃

bhai logon,26 % means i got 26 percentile. just used a shorter version for it.

hate mail was just for fun. i was calling all cat exam lovers. no harm intended and none taken i hope.

garuda dude,
as for the biased n stuff, yar dekho IIM guyz are protected under the canopy of institution that is decades old. big companies wannna visit them(no doubt the students there have talent), but the smaller institutions are penalised(if you know what i mean).
matlab IIM se bahar karne ka zyada fayda nahi hai? or even " best managers are from IIM".

cheers

the dude

MS
@MS  ·  0 karma

Hi,

comparing GMAT and CAT is not at all fair...both of them have their own pros and cons...they were designed for specific purpose and are serving them well..maybe not optimally but then i dont think so there is an optimum way...

GMAT scores are accepted in 100s of US + many non US Schools too...That will be somewhere close to 50,000 + seats minimum (since many US univs have BIG batch size).....Now for these many seats organising a ONE-DAY test is not a feasible option...simply because no of applicants will be too high and too wide and far...also GMAT ,GRE are tests that have been formed after years fo research by ETS...they are accepted as standard by the entire university system...

may be CAT is not mature enough but personally i think IIMS too are trying to make CAT a lot more standard and predictable...with the introduction of detailed (??) scorecard and carry-home papers it certainly is making the system a lot transparent....

Claims that CAT is a one day match etc are really meaning less : almost all the exams are ONE DAY affair...Even GMAT/GRE..until you are ready to shell lots of $'s till you do well......what we should really talk about is again the variation in performance due to the nature of the tests...

having given GRE and CAT ( both of them rather successfully 😃 )...where as by the time i went for GRE i expected the score i landed with,but CAT was a complete surprise (pleasant one...thank god 😃 )....maybe this is the area that peeves people...certainly its a bad feeling when you get 99% in Mocks and then something goes bad on the D-Day....

What i feel is that in the coming few years ones the CAT system matures IIMS would hold CAT once every three months...A GMAT system is still pretty Far fetched....

The best part of CAT still is the PI,its not easy interviewing 1000+ people..and they do it with enthusiasm...even in US PI is used but not as widely as in IIMS...they depend heavily on SOP'S which gives undue advantage to people with access to GREAT PEOPLES :)

Mohit

Lemme mention at the outset that I dont subscribe to iamme's views 😃 I

nope agreed on tht

And whats that comparing CAT with olympics ??? 😃 hehehe.....hilarious man....full marks to you for humour....but eh....dont see the logic there !

hey i mean to say tht u know the whole procedure in advance ....
u compare it with a one day match ...
i dunno how cricket and CAT are related so same way i compare it with another sporting event...

and 5 years later post a link on how many IIMA guys report to u

Man....r u seething with anger or wot
I know ur going to the best MBA college in India..and deserve all the kudos u can get for that. But I guess you shouldnt be thinking about how many guys from other college's will be reporting to you 5 years from now and all such crap. thats being rather presumptuous. :)

nahi nahi i didnt convey my message well enuff

I wanted to say tht all b schools are nearly the same
and a guy with 5 yrs workex may get freshers to report to him
so an XLer wud have some fresh grads reporting to him form any of the bschols ..
so if this iamme goes on to degrade ither institutes he may go and say
tht even though he may be from XL he wud have IIMA (or any other insti) reporting to him....

and i do hope tht after 5-6 (post bschool) years i wud have some one reporting to me ...(obviously not my peers age grp but younger ones.. ie fresh outta B school)
irrespective of their educational background
i think the management entrance system in india sucks and is biased and baseless. A beeter system like the all round year GMAt with Statement of Purpose n work ex is better.

I also disagree with the idea that GMAT is better than CAT. The advantage of having a written test just once a year is also that it also tests a person's nerves. A whole year's hard work boils down to just one day and if he messes it up, then he has to wait for a whole year before getting another chance.

So along with intelligence, it also tests mental toughness because you don't get second chances.

LOL, hey thedude, sorry to disappoint u but this is no hate mail.

all these iims are a much hyped up issue only. i belive that they have industry contacts and select only the ones they want. in actuality management education is not given fairly.

Love the quote man, i made it to B and i was just wondering what "industry contacts" i could have had. :wink: Get over it dude.

and the guyz at CAt gave me 26%. i mean this sucks man. they have i believe interchanged my score with sum1 they have eyed!

Feeble attempt at humour?? btw,what did u mean by 26% ?? if its percentage then take it cool dude,cos most people get below 65%.

what do you say

if we were talking bout the entrance systems for colleges apart from the top league, then i would agree with u. But if its the better institutes that we are considering, u gotta be kidding.
My take on GMAT with SOP :- Getting a good score in GMAT is not easy. But i dont find reason in selecting students based on an SOP. Its ridiculous,i could get a terrific essay written by someone and pass it of as my own. Or much simply, just mix up a lot of essays in a coherent manner from the internet. How in the world can someone judge a candidate based on his/her SOP. I do not say that we shud get rid of the SOP system, cos not all of em are fake,but then i dont think there should be too much weightage attached to it. Interviews do a much better job than SOPs.

Thanx for da post btw,gave me enough enthu to finally reply to a post....most of the other threads especially the ones turning up at the Interests section are worth taking a miss 😛 j/k ,have fun and move on 😃 Bye,

Regards,
Garuda

take me for example

what do you say

the dude

Hey dude.... why are u waiting for hate mails?? and if u are waiting for hate mails than somewhere u feel u deserve them

See I dont think the Indian system is optimum ... no way , but to say that it sucks and is biased is taking it too far. See u got thru IIFT and do u feel it was biased and u did not deserve it?? see the funda is that everything looks good from outside but even the american funda will av faults and if u wanna find faults u always will.

And this is not a hate mail ... see i know its tough but blaming the system is not gonna get u anywhere , u gotto try to see things in a postive light.

Eneways best of luck for future
Rohit

take me for example

what do you say

the dude