Original Passport / Visas / Certificates / Marksheets ...???

16 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Original Passport / Visas / Certificates / Marksheets ...??? Hi Friends...Pls put forward how you handle this... I have recently moved from my home city to another city in India for my job. I had to carry all my originals certificates ri...
Page 1 of 2

How about another thanks for good luck? Mods, I think this thread has served its purpose.

Cheers..

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

thanks guys...there were some very imporatnt perpsectives and suggestions offered...great really thanks

thanx man...that was inddeed very helpfulll

For all those who're considering house insurance, please be wary of the fine print. Some insurance companies :sneaky: only cover theft with armed robbery and assault.

In fact, for almost any kind of insurance, it is best to read the finer details very carefully, and only then choose a service provider.

After I read murty, I remembered that I am also covered by Travel-lite insurance, by Bajaj Alliance, under their worldwide cover policy, which insureces me against passport / licence thefts, cash thefts, delayed baggage, loss of baggage, provides me emergency funds, and a few tens of other covers.

For an international traveler, a travel-insurance is a must, which almost always cover thefts of important documents. Although, the worlwide cover may be substantially costly, country-specific or region-specific covers are lighter on the wallet, and I would strongly recommended them.

Hmm.. I am yet to see a theft in which the Burglars have disappeared with the original certificates So I am throwing this option out of the window. Also in case of bank robbery, who looks for pieces of paper amidst all the green coloured stuff 😉 (which incidentally is paper as well but something more valuable, to the robbers of course ). So you need not worry about losing your certificates in case of burglary in your house or a bank robbery, just in case you decide to leave it in a bank locker.

However there are some situations you need to worry about and I am gonna list some below

1) Fire tragedy - When there is a sudden fire in the house, I bet the last thing you think about is your certis. Even if you happen to think, what if your certificates are the first thing that catch fire? Although I do hope that you haven't parked your certificates next to some highly inflammable substance .

2) A case of misplaced certis- Now this is a highly probable scenario. You keep all your certificates in a file and very cautiously hide it somewhere. And then you encounter a temporary loss of memory and forget where you kept them in the first place :wow:. It might take you months if not years to find them :huh:

3) Theft while travelling- You are travelling somewhere with your originals, and a petty robber happens to run away with the bag containing your certificates. Although I have heard of some ethical robbers who have returned the certificates back after taking away the valuables, you can never be sure :huh:

As you migh have noticed by now, few things are under our control and worrying too much about lost certificates, can only at best, ruin your sleep. Currently what you can do is catch hold of Dale Carnegie's book, 'How to Stop worrying and start living' and seriously think about some of the suggestions provided by fellow puys in the above posts

Cheers..

PS- Sumit :sneaky:

It is a very valid fear that most people who travel often face. I have been continuously on the move since 2 years, and this was, and still is, one of the things that I fear. I have the privilege of spending on behalf of my company, so I could buy a safe.

But, otherwise, in Europe, many security providers have this Locker facility which normally banks in India provide. Try inquiring at a few banks for a locker. They would probably require you to make a FD of Rs.10000 or so with them and then they will allocate a locker to you. That's a good option.

Else, even keeping the original's in your suitcase (with a number lock and/or mechanical lock) is not a bad option. But, please be sure never to carry it around. If it is really important to have a proof while you are on the move, keep a copy. If something still better is needed, get the photocopy attested / approved from Foreigner's office / Indian Embassy (In case you are abroad).

About point 1...If u really lose the certificates u have to lodge FIR. theres no other go u know!
I really dont know if anyone keeps them in bank lockers but if one is going to, then I advice not to lose them on the way to bank.

yes very true i have to be very careful that i dont lose them while on my way to bank...

anyone willing more to share their valuable thopughts / suggestions...
hey thanks guys for ur valuable suggestions and inputs...

a few points though...

1. we cannot start the duplicate issuance process without lodging FIR...why to get into troouble by oneself.

2. Does anyone actually keeps their originals in bank locker and how safe bank lockers are...when we keep things in bank lokcer...do we have to mention what is being kept.......????

About point 1...If u really lose the certificates u have to lodge FIR. theres no other go u know!
I really dont know if anyone keeps them in bank lockers but if one is going to, then I advice not to lose them on the way to bank.
hey thanks guys for ur valuable suggestions and inputs...

a few points though...

1. we cannot start the duplicate issuance process without lodging FIR...why to get into troouble by oneself.

2. Does anyone actually keeps their originals in bank locker and how safe bank lockers are...when we keep things in bank lokcer...do we have to mention what is being kept.......????

Well for one I dont,lets wait for others to chip in,and no you dont have to declare what is being kept in your bank locker to anyone..Its a closely guarded secret between you and the locker..

Cheerz.
The Only thing constant in Life-Change!