One more stupid post!!

11 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
It would be a much cliched topic to discuss, but a frustrated guy cannot think of a better one.. Can u guys tell me why r u all doing an MBA?? for money, for better growth, to satisfy ur urge of being in a top B-school or for the kind of work u'...
Page 1 of 2
Bill, you aren't the only one in this situation. You'd find many who join the s/w industry drawn by the glamour, the opportunities and of course the money. A few years into the scene and the realisation dawns upon them, that there's more to the industry than just the 3 aspects mentioned above. It can be a torture if you get stuck with a bad role/company/boss/colleagues.

For many, the MBA options seems like the solution to all their problems. If they have done their homework well and understood why they want to do an MBA and what would they expect post-graduation, it is easier to chalk out a roadmap.

But an MBA also means a big investment in terms of money, time and effort into something that may not guarantee you name, fame and fortune.
In many cases, a simpler option would be to find out workarounds in the current field itself. Depending on the issue (role, company, boss, career plan), there are various ways on how this could be handled. But won't get into the details of that in this post.

Main point I'm trying to make is that an MBA can be a fantastic experience or a nightmare depending on how you approach it. So think hard before you take the plunge.
Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Regarding work, i was one of the lucky few who was put up in a J2EE "development" project.... So i should be happy right? No!.... blah blah blah...
Dude, you liked cobol???? One of a kind!

P.S. A developer's like is far more than just coding a few lines of code in cobol or J2EE... one needs to realize that...

I agree with you. There is far more factors in coding which decide programmers' likes and dislikes than J2EE and COBOL. And that is exactly I wasn't disappointed with my life with COBOL. And that is exactly why "J2EE development projects" need not necessarily satisfy one.

But I have seen enough people who were not happy just because they were not working in SAP or Oracle Applications or Peoplesoft or EJB. And many of them didn't have a clue as to what those things are. They wanted to be there just because those were the "cutting edge" stuff. And the advanced stage of this syndrome is seen in people who want to be James Goslings and Linus Torvaldses. Hmm...Just some thoughts from my end.

And about IT politics...hmm...politics will be there everywhere. It is difficult to find many egalitarian industries. The extent might vary from company to company (rather than industry to industry). Again, this is how I view the things.

Cheers,
APT
Hmm...I would say most of the above facts are perceptions. Depends on how you view the things.Especially the software-sucking part. I have worked 3 years as a software engineer coding and maintaining COBOL programs in a Mainframe environment and I found the life enjoyable and a bit demanding too.

May be it depends a bit on the projects that land you in. I am not discounting that factor. However, what I observed is this -- Most of those software engineers are elated when they get an offer from TCS/Infy/Wipro and the like. And they join thinking that in two years, they are going to create a new language like James Gosling did or write a new all-world-popular operating system like Linus Torvalds did. And they soon realize they are not going to. The reality shock, one must say. They realize that they are nothing but "yet another software engineer", one in a million. I have a friend who joined Infosys along with me, and on the second day of training he complained to me -- Da, we are going to be just one in 17000 (the then employee strength of Infosys). I laughed and said, "In another two years, we will be one in 25000. But, so what"? (Of course I was wrong. At the end of three years, I was one in 55000). But the point is how you look at the things. How well you understand the reality. And the same thing applies to jobs after MBA. Set your expectations as close to the reality as possible. You will not be disappointed.

Whola! A lot of stuff being whitewashed here and all not at all relevant in my case!

I never had any expectations of coding some high stuff software! Being 4 years in REC and keeping close contacts with my seniors and their work, we had a pretty clear idea of what work we were going to do in the IT industry.

Regarding work, i was one of the lucky few who was put up in a J2EE "development" project.... So i should be happy right? No!.... blah blah blah...

Hey i have had too many debates/discussions on this... not at all interested in going ahead... For others, the reason i want to be out of this is "IT politics".
if anybody wants a reply, pm me...

]
I have worked 3 years as a software engineer coding and maintaining COBOL programs in a Mainframe environment and I found the life enjoyable and a bit demanding too.

Dude, you liked cobol???? One of a kind!

P.S. A developer's like is far more than just coding a few lines of code in cobol or J2EE... one needs to realize that...

Now coming to the other questions -- There is not much point in trying to satisfy your ego unless you think your credentials are in grossly questioned by somebody and it is very important for you to prove that person wrong. I would say this is a bad reason to think of an MBA. As you said, one could better think rationally.

Money can be a reason. And one is right when he says techies can make as much. But MBA prolongs your career length, and enhances options and variety (as far as I can see). And the opportunities that offer money today are not going to remain the same for 30-35 years which is going to be the length of one's career. There is a possibility (though extremely low probability) that Pan-wallas will make most money in 2025. I hope you see the point I am trying to drive home. Though MBA and software might offer the same money today, that might not be the case tomorrow. An MBA gives you more options.

Growth before or after MBA depends mostly on your hard work, credentials and capabilities. All that a post-MBA placement can give you is a launching pad. From there on, it is all upto yourselves. A high launching pad is obviously better in comparison to a lower one, but that doesn't mean that the heights you can reach is limited if the launching pad is low. Actually, even sky is not the limit. The limiting factors are the work that one is ready to put in and the capability one has got.

More or less what i meant...
Cheerios!

A fair amount of foresight is necessary while taking any career decision.
I feel that in a matter of 4-5 years, the number of people with an MBA degree will start resembling the number of Engineers today. High quantity, low quality. So keeping that in mind, striving for a place in the top-notch institutes makes sense. The value addition factor is the most lucrative aspect i feel. Of course, all this can be done in any other field without an MBA. But on the flip side, anything else can be done so much better if you have had ivy league education.

ultimately, why's MBA so valued??

ditto anupthomas on launchpad and career options. MBA allows you to expand your vision (oops, Mngmt lingo) 360 deg. i.e. a wide choice of careers and options to choose. also u can change careers. also invstmt and returns are long time.
billgates, if u are concerned abt job and plcmts, go PT-MBA from a reasonbly gud school like TAPMI or SPjain etc. also look at PGSEM of IIMB. try relocating to blr if reqd. that way u save ur job, workex and get a MBA. u can always build up on the knowledge and seek a better job/position leveraging the MBA then(both deg plus knowledge).

It would be a much cliched topic to discuss, but a frustrated guy cannot think of a better one..
With the kind of scores i m getting, I cannot even dream of landing at my dream place..Some test-scores suggests that I can get calls from non-cream B-skools..Here comes the problem!!

Last year i got ranks in quite a few of my mocks (on my good days). My ex-colleague used to be among the top 100 always...
Result? I flopped in all my papers (i say it with my chin up )
My ex-colleague couldn't convert any of his calls... what do you suggest? we shut up and look for other options? Another of my ex-colleague filled up the form just for kicks... he got 98%+ and nearly cleared all sectional cut-offs!!
dude, cat is about 70% hard work and 30% luck. always hope for that 30%! (bhad mae jae woh 70%, huh ;))

If I want to do MBA for money, people (and my logic also) tell me that this software life will bring me as much money as I will earn after an MBA from a tier-2 school..

If I want to do MBA for better growth, I dont know what kind of growth I can expect after completing my MBA from a non-cream insti..

Have you ever considered the minute fact that there's a knowledge aspect of it too? That one actually goes to "learn" something when he does an MBA? That even the best Bschool does not guarantee a excellent growth in career until and unless you work your ass over it?

Even software life used to seem gr8 but its not as good as it was portrayed..

I agree! software sucks!

Dude, work! and keep hoping! If still you feel it's hopeless, drop it, and look for other options. The world is not filled with only software engineers and MBA grads. There are a lot of options. Open your eyes.

P.S. All the above facts are true. Especially the software-sucking part
It would be a much cliched topic to discuss, but a frustrated guy cannot think of a better one..
Can u guys tell me why r u all doing an MBA?? for money, for better growth, to satisfy ur urge of being in a top B-school or for the kind of work u'll get after ur MBA? I want to do MBA for all these stated reasons..But, my AIMCATs scores pull me back to where i m..They make me feel depressed, frustrated and suck back all my confidence..With the kind of scores i m getting, I cannot even dream of landing at my dream place..Some test-scores suggests that I can get calls from non-cream B-skools..Here comes the problem!!

If I want to do MBA for money, people (and my logic also) tell me that this software life will bring me as much money as I will earn after an MBA from a tier-2 school..

If I want to do MBA for better growth, I dont know what kind of growth I can expect after completing my MBA from a non-cream insti..

If I want to do MBA for satisfying my urge only, I shud better feel rationally, forget an MBA from tier-2 school and stick to the present job..

If I want to do MBA for the kinda work I'll get, I m unsure what kind of work that'll be..It also may be unexciting like my present work is..Cant risk my present job just to try my luck after the MBA..Even software life used to seem gr8 but its not as good as it was portrayed..How can I say I'll like the job after the coveted degree...

Any, any kind of reply is welcome..I know i m bothering u all with this silly and unanswerable question..But, I dont want nething other than ur opinion and guidance..

Please, enlighten me with the kind of work we'll get after an MBA(finance, my choice)...and the institutes for which u can leave a s/w company when u have 2 yrs experience..

I can see two questions in your post ->

1) Is there any use of doing an MBA from a not so reputed B school?

Dude, It seems you have given up too soon!
You still have time to cover up. You just need to put in a lot of effort.

Yeah .. I do agree there is not much use in doing an MBA from a B school that is not in the top 10-20 list. Hwoever, with some hard work, it is not tough at all to crack into the top 20s.

So, as of now, let these thoughts not bother you so much. Concentrate on your preparations.

2) Why should you do an MBA?

Boss, I will rather not answer that. Thats for you to find out and understand.

Regards
Ramesh
if u wanna do ur MBA u MUST do it from a good reputed , top of the cream instituion .. atleast for an MBA dont settle for an unknown schhol ...
find out from the seniors abt the placement scene , the profs , etc .. that would help ya determine if the schools a good one ...

as for a job after a degree in finance , me not sure too ... but there r so many options i finance too .. u can take up private banking , investment banking , etc ...

hope that helps

tc
S