[Official] CAT 2011- 8th Nov - Twelfth Day Discussions

72 Posts  ·  71 Users
About this group
*Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the exam today, please use this thread for the discussions. To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2011 experience in the following format : CAT ...
Page 1 of 8

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: LJIMS, Ahmedabad : Afternoon Slot

1) How many attempts you have made? QA-25,VA-26

2) Your last mock score? Around 80%le

3) How was your experience of the test? Good. The test center was too far out from the usual City locations.

4) What was the surprise element for you?QA. After attempting AIMCATS, QA in actual CAT was very different. I wouldnt say it was easier, but it surely was different.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? One strategy that i liked using was using the "Mark" Button and "Review" Button generously. However, its upto you. If you feel comfy, then only go for it :)

6) Your overall analysis of the exam: Toughness, new topics, sections etc.
Toughness was appropriate. I'd rate both the sections as Easy-Moderate.
QA : Pure pure application. Nothing else.
DS : None :D
DI : Its always been my Achilles' Heel. Although DI sets in this one were a mix of doable and number crunching.

VA : Dicey. Can narrow down to 2 out of 4. But always a fifty-fifty on the remaining two.
RC : Good passages. Readable and interesting. However, questions were intended to confuse the test-taker.
LR : Easy and time-saving. Time could be allotted to reading the RCs. Couldnt solve 1 set.

7) Any other details or something you would like to share -
Prometric's done a good job in handling CAT'11(atleast my slot ;)) One advice to all the test takers is that in the long waiting time before starting the test, just close your eyes and think about something soothing/stupid/nice/happy. Look around and you'll find yourself in sea of despair as, generally, vibes are never positive at test centers before starting the test. Everyone(including me) wants an IIM and everyone knows(including me) that its tough to get in :D

Cheers! And Gluck! Machao D:

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hhhmmmm........thanks for your advice Rohit! Best of luck to me!!

IMI-Kolkata
just_nishu4u Says
Hi vivek_agr......buddy need some help. I am yet to take CAT,which is scheduled on 13th.Can u help me out with the directions n other facilities at the centre in Narendrapur?? I stay near Prince Anwar Shah road n will be travelling on my bike.So,just wanted to know about the directions if u can help me out.One more thing,would there be any issues regarding parking n will I b allowed to keep the helmet alongwith my belongings in the packet that they will provide?? Kindly,reply as soon as possible........:)

use google maps. travel by bus or car, don't take ur bike , parking problems ho sakte hain. also u will be exhuasted by the time u reach ur center. energy loss can be fatal. :nono:
I am the one
Centre::Swami vivekanada indstitue......;Sonarpur,kolkata,8th nov 3:15PM

I didnt attempted any Mock test this tym
Attempts: QA::22
VA:30
QA:The paper was less complicated than last years and the focus was less on Pure mathematical formulae and more on logic and common sense.DI was also OK,but sum questions were tym consuming.For a regular student finding 20-22 doable questions should not be a problem.Dont get stuck with any question move on.:biggrin:
VA::Gud

The centre was a bit far from the city,otherwise the prometric guys were professional but VERy strict about the ID proof and related docs.

All the best

Hi vivek_agr......buddy need some help. I am yet to take CAT,which is scheduled on 13th.Can u help me out with the directions n other facilities at the centre in Narendrapur?? I stay near Prince Anwar Shah road n will be travelling on my bike.So,just wanted to know about the directions if u can help me out.One more thing,would there be any issues regarding parking n will I b allowed to keep the helmet alongwith my belongings in the packet that they will provide?? Kindly,reply as soon as possible........:)
IMI-Kolkata
wrong questions
exam date : 8 nov, 3.15 pm
evening slot

Sorry for replying late but couldnt find time from work & was tired yesterday.
well guys all said & done that the paper was easy but i found two questions in quant wrong .when i asked the same to my friends in the same slot ,they simply didnt encounter such a question.....well i feel it was one of those questions which are different for different people in the same slot.....but we did discuss those questions & found it wrong ...all of us ...

though i cannot mention the questions (i remember), all i can say here is that they were 2 questions in geometry. did nyone of you get that....????please help me...coz i wasted quite a bit of time on those questions

Even I had a pnc question with wrong answer choices. It was so easy that can take just 1 min to crack. But still did not mark it cos of wrong answer choices. What prometric does during evaluation? Do they ignore the question or take the nearest option as answer?
Abhijit Bhattacharjee Cat2011: 89.11%ile
Hello Guys,

Can you help me out? I was not allowed to attend the CAT 2011 test at Sinhgad Institute of Management in Pune on 8th Nov., 2011 3.15pm batch because of my foolishness. What can i do now? Rather, what should i do now? Concentrate on remaining exams or try to do something about this CAT.

I was in the same center,same slot. I was standing just behind you in the queue. I feel sorry for you bro. You should have been a bit careful about the exam. Give your best shot in the forthcoming exams. ATB !!!

Sorry to pitch in late
CAT Centre, Date and Slot:Bangalore,8th Nov,3.15

1) How many attempts you have made? sec 1: 20+ ( dont remember the exact number) Sec 2: 30
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at :96.xx
3) How was your experience of the test?-- It was good, campus was beautiful , it was smooth
4) What was the surprise element for you? -- No surprises , like what CAT is
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?-- see the monitor only when it is required
6) Your overall analysis of the exam: Toughness, new topics, sections etc.-- QA was little easy , except for few (4-5 ques) , DI was straight , VA-- 2 RC's were tough , FIB's extremely confusing ( one can fit each and every option) overall moderate
7) Any other details or something you would like to share - Nothing
All the best!!

Yaar...It will be better if you concentrate on Remaining Exams.
Next time please be serious about taking all the docs that need to be showed at examination center.
Just Concentrate on cracking other xams and everything will be fine :)
Best Regards

Thank you buddy. Will see to it next time that i read the instructions about the exams really carefully and avoid such circumstances. actually according to me, the people from CAT, must understand such cases and permit to give the exam, as we were from Nasik, and went to pune for the exam. they asked me and my friend to get an affidavit with our name, address, photo and signature which we tried but could not get and requested them they remained firm on their decision. Another fellow, from aurangabad, did all the needful and returned late by just 2-3 mins, but they didn't even consider his case. this is really harsh from their side.
abhikool Says
you r missing the plot here ....friend ....the point is that i wasted quite a bit of time on it ....so it isnt just 2 questions ,....whn u count it ends up eating time for 2-3 qs more...

well dat is wat may b IIMs wanted u to identify...sumtimes i think..dese guys deliberately make dese errors in the paper ...nd test students nerves in dis case...i hv hardly seen ne1 slot widout atleast one wrng ques in the entire slot...wen dey chk the paper so times...den howcum still dere are sooo many errors...
Its more important to have extraordinary dreams than trying to become an extraordinary person.
Well u've missed the boat to IIMs mate..
do not lose hope as there are other equally premier institutes and all you need to do is keep mentally sttrong and concentrate on all the others upcomin xams.
ATB

** and next time, take valid docks (your own and not somebody else's!! just like a student did at my test centre..)

Yeah Thank You mate.. i was not very sure about me cracking CAT, but wanted to test myself.