[Official] CAT 2010- 8th Nov - Day Nine Discussions

25 Posts  ·  44 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http:/...
Page 1 of 3

CAT Centre: Sri Balaji Society, Wakad, Pune

Date 8/11/10
Slot: 10:00

1) How many attempts you have made? VA-14,QA-12,DI-11

2) Your last mock score? 74 - 96 %ile in AIMCATs and abt 75 -90 %ile in MOCKCATs
3) How was your experience of the test? Good

4) What was the surprise element for you? No

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Go with a free mind. Forget about your past performances and solve questions with a sense of urgency. Dont waste more time on any of the question as you can always find some easier picks. :cheers:

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

I found the questions easy. Thought many more questions were solvable but ran out of time. I was concentrating more on accuracy :

QA - Was easy. Left some question for solving later but could not return to those. I feel 14-15 questions were within reach. Out of 12 which attempted all must be correct. touchwood!
VA - Moderate. Again RCs took most of the time. VA was easier. 16 should have been ideal attempt.
DI/LA-Time consuming but not difficult. Some questions from Set Theory. 14 should have been good attempt with all correct. Accuracy should be good in this section.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.
I read about some questions found wrong by test takers on 8th nov. I am not sure whether they are talking about the morning (10 AM) slot or evening slot. Can anyone help?
Wrong questions in CAT 2010? CAT convenor sends questions for a thorough check PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
mta
@mta  ·  0 karma
:banghead:
CAT Centre, Date and Slot:
Chameli Devi Institute of Technology, Indore, 8th Nov, 10:00 am
1) How many attempts you have made?
45 (QA-15, DI -15, VA-15)
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here.
No link !! But I did score between 89-97%tile in TIME mocks.
3) How was your experience of the test?
Was glitch free except for a short span of 5mins!! :shock: .. Definitely well conducted than th last time !!
4) What was the surprise element for you?
DI.. wat else can it be!! Long questions.. unrelated data.. freaked me out!! :banghead:
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
Be patient!! And I really mean it!! n yes... be ready to sit for an hour or more in front of the blank screen b4 u actually start the xam!!

I feel d CAT has bcum a test of both ur scholastic aptitude as well as ur physical endurance rather than bein 1 of only ur brains!!
I started out wid ma well practiced routine.. QA.. DI and finally VA
QA: 4-5 real sitters.. sm of dem so lame dat u don even need to think twice (I dearly hope dat I got dem right !!! ) I should have attempted more.. nebdy wid decent QA can do 15-18 Qs easily !!
DI: O MY GOD (remember Janice in FRIENDS!! ) This totally freaked me out.. May be bcuz we are nt accustomed to do so.. In my understandin I feel dat D prometric guyz had a number of 5 or 6 Question sets wid dem.. of which they randomly gave 1-3 questions on each of the slots!! This might b d reason v r gettin so much frivolous data!!
VA: As usual the CAT ppl wants us to think dat we can attempt all d 20 !!
Had to show a lot of restraint to limit it to 15 attempts. I hope this time I have a higher Accuracy !! :cheers:
(Last CAT I attempted 18.. n got 70%tile. and I was supposed to be d best at VA !! :banghead:)
Definitely... I felt some of the DI questions were wrong.. ..I had a buffer time of around 20 mins wid me.. But den also I couldnt get d answers. Although the questions seemed pretty lame and i tried everythin I could!! M I D ONLY 1 WHU FEELS SO???
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: ICFAI Business School, Bangalore

3:30 slot

DI - 15 :banghead: (Although i find myself good in it)
Quant - 16,
Verbal - 20 (However m not sure dat all r correct)

OA - 51

2) Your last mock score?

Hum unmei se hai jo pehle padhte nahi aur baad mei pachtate hai

It was good after the number of attempts i made:clap:. However reached center early that made me waiting for long hours.

Questions were wrong. Checked it again and again. But no options matched the answers.

If you don't get a solution to a question don't waste your much time on it. Move ahead. Don't loose ur calm too.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam.
Quant - Moderate(easy then last year),
Verbal - Easy,
LR/DI - Tough
Overall - Very easy than last year

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. -
What will happen to the questions which were wrong? If I attempted them and if not I attempted them.

Best of luck to remaining cat aspirants!!!
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: St Vincent Palloti, Nagpur ; 3:30 slot

1) How many attempts you have made? LDI - 10:banghead: (Though I am good at it), Quant - 12, Verbal - 16

2) Your last mock score? - NA

3) How was your experience of the test? - Long wait before test is frustrating. Rest fine. Small technical glitch at the begining but it was rectified soon.

4) What was the surprise element for you? - LRDI section was a surprise. Only 2 LR questions, rest long DI sets.:shock:

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? - Manage time well.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. - Quant - Moderate, Verbal - Easy to moderate, LRDI - Tough

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. - Dont stick to any question specially in LRDI. Doable questions will follow.:cheers:

Cheers & best luck to all!!!!
Apologies for posting late was so busy after appearing for CAT too :wow::wow:
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Asia Pacific Inst. of Mgmt,8th Nov,10 A.M.

Don't know the exact figure :shock::shock: it's around 36-38
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here. Don't have a link appeared for AIMCATs score varied from 62-94 averaging around 80
3) How was your experience of the test? The test experience was great no glitches smooth process . The prometric guys carried e'thing quite well.
4) What was the surprise element for you? 1 question RC's and 1 question bar graphs and pie charts
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Don't stare much into the PC before the start ....relax and look around for PYT(pretty young things):cheers: Try to navigate through the whole paper during the course of exam to identify sitters as they are much disguised across all sections
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. -QA- Was decently tough for me.. some of the questions were from pretty odd topics and required thinking and calculation at the same time.
DI- Calculation intensive ( a single question caselet required both pie chart and bar graph analysis.
VA- Close options ( 1 question RC's, lots of PJs) distributed across the ppr
Nothing really. Gives you just the feel of any other mock cat.

ATB puys ROCK IT !!!
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Pailan Institute of Management and Technology, Kolkata....8th Nov...3:30 pm...

50/51 (QA-17, DI-15/16, VA-19)

2) Your last mock score?
Mocks

Great...very well organized and systematic....

Nothing as such....was prepared for all surprises....

Nothing much..if you are used to it then its just like any other mock...

QA- Was very easy....8-10 were sitters....I had messed up a fair bit in QA in the last few CL mocks....hence I wasn't too confident about this section....but I was able to solve the first 3-4 questions in good time...the confidence returned and it was smooth....missed 1 question due to a foolish mistake....solved the entire question...the answer needed to be multiplied by a factor....i started looking for the answer without doing the multiplication....couldn't find it in the options and went to the next one....:banghead:
DI- This is generally my strongest section by a fair margin...but this was quite different from what was there in the mocks....calculation intensive section....some questions weren't clear....I was confused regarding the interpretation of 1 question...felt that it could be looked at in two different ways...solved using both angles...one answer was there in options and other wasn't so marked the first one...

VA-I'm not the right man to comment on this..but usually I'm decent in RCs....the RCs weren't too long and they weren't too difficult to understand....but the questions had very close options....

Nothin much...its the start and the end of the season for me...not appearing for anything else ....college semesters coming up in just about 2 weeks....gotta slog hard :wow:.....all the best to the ones who are yet to take the test....
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies...DT '12|UDT '11
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
8th Nov 2010 , 10:00 am

Overall : 44 , QA: 14 , VA: 16 , DI: 14
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread , please provide the link here.
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mock-scores-repository-2010-25050562
3) How was your experience of the test? Good
4) What was the surprise element for you? No correct option. There was no other way than to leave out the questions.
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Concentrate on the monitor
VA - easy though not well distributed
DI - moderate to tough . very calculation intensive and ambiguous
QA - easy to moderate . doable if you are calm
As all the other cat takers have mentioned .... do not presume anything. The prometric guys are conducting CAT well enough. They wud do their best to help you out.

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: indo global college of engineering, mohali, 8 Nov , 3.30 pm

Va 19 qa 19 Di 15

2) Your last mock score?
proc mock 9 - 97.XX SEE MY SIGNATURES FOR THE LINK

3) How was your experience of the test? when I clicked the end tutorial button, my screen blanked out and the pc hanged. BUT the prometric staff was quite helpful and all was normal in 10th minutes. just 1 complaint... my centre was very far away from Chandigarh in a remote village. it was a real pain searching for the right college.

4) What was the surprise element for you? Qa and Di (explained below)
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? just keep your cool during the exam. talking to a sweet girl who was sitting besides me, helped me stay cool before the start of the exam..(but couldn't contact her later coz she left the centre earlier..... 😞 )

Qa .... well the easiest of the sections. well, I was a bit carefully while attempting the questions but attempted 19 in 45 mins. I think it would be the easiest section in the entire window. solved all the questions using just the logic. not even a single formula was needed to be applied. definitely it was not of cat level.

Di ........ strange, odd, bizarre, unusual (I can go on and on in its praise.) not even a single LR set and rc length caselets with just a single question and that too requiring the analysis of the complete set. as pointed out earlier, we were supposed to find values between the fixed values in a bar graph. Did they want to check our approximation skills? well, it was not definitely cat type and no amount of preparation would have made it easier. moreover, many of the questions were ambiguous and were time consuming.I did 15 questions in 45 mins.

Va..... 2 RCs were easy to read and comprehend. but 1 had quite a few close options. fib was moderate. pjs and para completition were doable. can't comment much about this section due to my own limitations.
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. no.

CAT Centre:Pailan College of Management & Technology,Kolkata
Date:8/11/10 Slot: 3:30 pm
1) How many attempts you have made?lrdi(12) qa(15) va(13)
2) Your last mock score? proc mock 3 (81,98.65 %ile),aimcat1101 in missed aimcat format(73,%ile n.a.)
3) How was your experience of the test?it was totally glitch-free in terms of the technicalities and it ran smooth right from the word 'go' ,
4) What was the surprise element for you?nothing as such...
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?it was adviced during the toppers' conselling. i have tried this and got positive results, before going into the third section , i just close my eyes for 30s and stay blank...it has helped me concentrate better...
i had started off with qa which was the first section and thank god i did that,it was easy in terms of question standard as well as the options were not close.
next i faced va & i skipped that in order to mash lrdi so that i could manage a commendable overall %ile.Alas!how wrong i was,i continued flipping through the sets and i could solve only a few....full of 1-2 question sets & at many cases data related to the questions created a lot confusion...i can't term it difficult or moderate or anything.it was simply (-1/0)...at the end with 35 mins to go i left the section(rather i realised i was forsaken by my favorite section).
into va with the counter ticking at 34min 30 s i could not concentrate fully for at least 10 min,in that part of time i solved a few vocab questions,after that when the lrdi hangover had seized i concentrated in the rc-s,pjs & reasoning.Though the rc-s were easy to read the answer options were ambiguous enough to term the va part as moderate-difficult(weightage lying on the moderate side).

7) Any other query or
you would like to share with us.
na....