[Official] CAT 2010- 7th Nov - Day Eight Discussions

38 Posts  ·  42 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http:/...
Page 1 of 4

1) How many attempts you have made?44-46..quant-16di-14-15 va 15
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) was varying a lot from 70-90%ile..2 times i got 90+(AIMCATS)
3) How was your experience of the test?good
4) What was the surprise element for you?nothing
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?keep your cool...have faith on you....its better if u dont ask others their no. of attempts..it does nothing more than aggravating your anxiety and hampers the chance of fairing well..develop your own strategy to handle the paper according to your strengths and weaknesses..
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.-moderate..it was very much in sync with cat 1999-2002 papers...quant-mixed bag with some tricky questions at first n moderate -easy later..di-doable ones but lengthy...va-little confusing...

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hello puys....

it seems wrong questions are being addressed by the cat convener.

Wrong questions in CAT 2010? CAT convenor sends questions for checking | PaGaLGuY.com - Indias biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT

Please report if u had any by sending a mail to the prometric. I feel i had 2 question with options not containg the actual answer in 3.30 slot. Please do the same if u had any.

CAT Centre, Date and Slot:EIILM kolkata, 1st slot

1) How many attempts you have made? 59, di-19, va-20, qa-20
2) Your last mock score? did not take any

3) How was your experience of the test? nice experience, gave online exam first time but was surprising to see that no formula based were there only logical questions were present!!!
4) What was the surprise element for you? the waiting time and extra care in security stuffs!!
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? dont worry...trust me you will be happier!!!..
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.- di was lengthy, va was paplu, qa was ok, overall - bad:splat:
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. - none
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Auratech Solution, Vikhroli, Mumbai. 7th November, 10AM

1) How many attempts you have made : Did not count exactly but around 35. Did not count section wise break up.

2) Your last mock score: Well I never posted my percentiles in AIMCATS. But I was consistently in the 70-80 band.

3) How was your experience of the test: It was a good experience. No major problems with the computer system. My paper loaded a bit late but I just had to wait for 8 mins for the paper to load. The Prometric people were with me and told me to calm down. But I was a little disappointed with the arrangement at Auratech. 4 computers were placed on a desk in place of 3. It was cramped. I could easily see the screen of the other computers besides me. There was absolutely no space to rotate your chair or stretch your arms. Though it was not a major thing but still it could have been better.

4) What was the surprise element for you - The paper was much easier than I expected. Given my level of preparations ( which I am not proud of) I was fairly comfortable with it. But I think my no. of attempts will let me down.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better: Its damn easy. Before starting do adjust the angle of the screen, the brightness and other things.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc : My first section was VA. It was my weakest section. Jumped straight to Parajumbles and Para completion. Did not even look at RC's and Sentence correction. I was happy to see no FIJ questions

Then went on to the Quant section. I went question to question rather than going through all the questions and doing the easy ones first. Lack of any kind of strategy slowed me down and affected my no of attempts.

The last and the lengthiest section was DI. 3 paragraphs long caselets with just one question! That was pretty frustrating. However there was one caselet with 3 questions. My advice would be to first go for that caselet which has maximum questions. It was just a logical one. Once I got the logic all 3 questions were done in 15 seconds. And trust me the logic was pretty simple.

After DI I realized I had left RC's. Quickly saw the type of questions in each RC. There was one question of direct nature in each RC. Just attempted that as there was no time for reading all RC's and solving inference based questions.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us: Just relax. If you have worked hard you will succeed. If you really want to clear CAT you will clear it. For me I had no intentions to do MBA as of now so I was not that serious about it.
CAT Centre, Date and Slot:
MeritTrac Services, Satara Road, Pune - 7th Nov 3:30 PM

1) How many attempts you have made?
I did 15 in Verbal in about 35 minutes
Another 15 in Maths in about 50 Minutes
I only managed 6 or 7 in DI in the remaining time

2) Your last mock score?
My last 3 year CAT scores have been in the 98 percentile range. I gave about 3 or 4 AIMCATs this year coming in around 92-95 percentile

3) How was your experience of the test?
The test was a lot more organized than last year.

4) What was the surprise element for you?
None

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
None

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

As stated earlier, the English options sometimes are very close. I would suggest that you use the same stratergy as you used in the mocks. I used to go with a gut feeling since I do a lot of additional reading. It worked in the mocks. Hope it works here

Maths was relatively simple. Questions were at times deceptively long. Do not skip these as there are some sitters.

DI will be my weakest spot this year. The questions were lengthy with redundant or unnecessary data.I had read about them on the forums but it takes some getting used to

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.

Directions to all centres are present on the CAT IIM site. A google maps search of my location did not turn up anything concrete. I wasted about an hour and a half on pre-test day not knowing this.

The number 124-4517177 given as the test centre number is a common number (it was mentioned in the article by Apurv on the main site) that links to an IVR that just told me to go to the CAT website to figure out directions (maybe because I called on Sunday - but still)

If you have given CAT last year, you might be asked the same after the finger print scan is complete. This is because the centre has to separately record if anyones fingerprint is already in the database. So don't worry about it.

The centres seem to have their own rules at times.

a) The CAT site was very clear that you could keep your wallet with you as long as you do not remove it during the test. At the centre they made me remove my wallet and keep it with my other belongings.

b) I showed my employee ID but the guard asked me if I had an additional ID. Since, I had travelled with my own vehicle I also had my drivers license but was suprised that they asked for additional ID.
A post helped you? Please like it. The Karma count helps differentiate the helpful folks. Want to evaluate your profile for B School? Check this out http://knightinwhite.blogspot.com/2013/07/quick-guide-to-evaluating-your-profile.html
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: ICFAI bangalore ; Nov 7 ; 3.30PM

1) How many attempts you have made? OA 60

2) Your last mock score? in my signature :D

3) How was your experience of the test? Gave CAT for the second time.
Experience was good. No glitches, no problems at all. Only thing is the waiting time of 1.5hrs which can make you drowsy! the attempts shown above has nothing to do with the number i did..
originally they were VA-20 , DI-17 , QA-15 .. and the rest were all marked as option 2 . i made guesses as to increase or decrease my chances .. some risks are part of life 😃 ... no regrets though !

4) What was the surprise element for you? Nothing really. Paper was of standard level, no fancy formulas, nothing extra ordinary. Quality of questions was good. Some questions look tough but once you understand them they are quite easy and some questions look easy but you never get to the answer. Thats the beauty of CAT I guess!

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? keep your cam and avoid looking at the computer screen . sleep well before the exam and even in the center sleep in the waiting time and trust me you'll be fresh for the most awaited exam of your life .

Started with LRDI. Was quite sluggish in the beginning and took time to understand the first set which was different and fresh but was a sitter. All questions seemed doable. One set was calculative , 2 sets on set theory which were quite simple. Revise the basics and you would be able to manage them. One set was LR based and was quite doable. No DS in my set. Overall was moderate but lengthy.

Next was QA : There were questions from numbers ,time and speed, sets, and one from logarithm,clocks. There were some absolute sitters and some quite difficult ones or speed breakers in between. Key would be judicious selection of questions here. QA had been my strength but i struggled a little bit .. sets is an important topic for this time and i am pathetic at it .. otherwise QA was doable ..

VA - was pretty easy in my opinion . This is my worst section but i could easily get through it this time . RC'S were easy except 1 and that too could be solved with reading it twice or thrice as per the understandings .

I would say go with a relaxed state of mind. take it as just another mock . life is big ; 1 exam , 1 misfortune , 1 college cannot define it success is a gradual process and one day each one of us will make it big :-)....
Best of luck PUYS.... god bless you :-)
There is nothing to loose in life ; remember this and bell the CAT ...
:cheers:

no

signing of for some :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking:...
waiting for 12th jan eagerly ... 😃 tab tak :drinking::drinking::drinking:
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Asia Pacific Institute Of Management Delhi ; Nov 7 ; 3.30PM

1) How many attempts you have made? OA 43-44

2) Your last mock score? Have'nt posted my score in the repository. Gave around 17 AIMCATS. 6-7 95+percentile with best of 98.6(1103) rest around 88 to 90%

3) How was your experience of the test? Gave CAT for the second time.
Experience was good. No glitches, no problems at all. Only thing is the waiting time of 1.5hrs which can make you drowsy!

4) What was the surprise element for you? Nothing really. Paper was of standard level, no fancy formulas, nothing extra ordinary. Quality of questions was good. Some questions look tough but once you understand them they are quite easy and some questions look easy but you never get to the answer. Thats the beauty of CAT I guess!

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? If you've given mocks before, there's nothing to worry about. I skipped through all the tutorial pages in 2 mins.

Started with LRDI. Was quite sluggish in the beginning and took time to understand the first set which was different and fresh but was a sitter. All questions seemed doable. One set was calculative , 2 sets on set theory which were quite simple. Revise the basics and you would be able to manage them. One set was LR based and was quite doable. No DS in my set. Overall was moderate but lengthy.

Next was QA : There were questions from numbers ,time and speed, sets, and one from logarithm,clocks. There were some absolute sitters and some quite difficult ones or speed breakers in between. Key would be judicious selection of questions here. I scewed 2 sitter questions which I realized just after the time got over. Guess thats what you call destiny! I would rate this section as moderate.

VA wasnt that tough in my opinion.The non-RC questions were easy to moderate.
My paper was filled with paracompletions. Vocab based questions and FIBs were quite easy. Pj's were doable too.
However RCs were quite tough. One was manageable, One RC I found quite tough which was on Philosophy!

I think I could've cracked 2 more QA questions had I been a little less stupid. But then there are always those "what ifs and all".! QA cutoff would be an issue for me in this paper.

I would say go with a relaxed state of mind. Easier said than done. Paper is moderate and it can be cracked with the right selection of questions. Dont lose your patience and stay cool as there are some ambigous questions and go and crack CAT. Its not as tough as AIMCATS and not as easy as CAT 2009. Overall a good paper!
Best of luck PUYS

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. No.
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Everonn Kompass Gurgaon ; Nov 7 ; 3.30PM

1) How many attempts you have made? OA 53

2) Your last mock score? 99.25 in CL Proc-9

3) How was your experience of the test? Gave CAT for the first time... pleasantly surprised with the arrangements

4) What was the surprise element for you? Some QA questions were very lengthy... I had not anticipated that.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? If you've given mocks before, there's nothing to worry about. I skipped through all the tutorial pages in 2 mins.

Started with LRDI, my strongest section. All questions seemed doable. Had looked at all 20 questions and attempted 18 in 45 mins.
Next was QA : I struggled in the first few questions but managed to cope up and do 13 out of 20 in 45 minutes. :|
VA was much easier than I expected. The non-RC questions were easy to moderate and so were the RCs. Did all 20 in 35 minutes.
Came back to QA in the last 10 minutes but could only solve 2 more questions.

I think I could've cracked 2 more QA questions had I been a little faster.

QA, I think was the toughest and lengthiest (although some questions were 30-60 second ones too)
LRDI was the easiest.
VA, you can never tell really :P

Also, I feel a lot of this analysis depends on the order of your attempts and frame of mind while doing the respective sections.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. The 1 hour wait is killer! Also, they make you sit for 10-15 minutes after the exam, waiting for the clock to strike 6...
CAT Centre, Date and Slot:IARE,hyderabad,7th nov,morning

QA-15
DI-15-16
VA-17-18
OA-47-48
2) Your last mock score?
pretty good
DI was too lengthy,especially reasoning part ,data intrepretation looked pretty much comfortable,no data sufficiency
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
look at side person screen bcoz will same questions for both but the order of sections would be different caution:beware of cc cams
my whole strategy was based on verbal ,want to maximize verbal score,never looked DI till last part of xam ,had solve 15 DI,8QA questions in last 35 min,mind blown seeing DI then 4-5 caselets has only 1 question which are of a para length, felt very bad bcoz made random guesses for 6-7 questions in Di
what are the expected percentiles and cutoffs????

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: imm,delhi,3:30
QA-10
DI--10
VA--10
OA--30
2) Your last mock score?
ok
none
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?go thru the tutorial on cat iim site atleast once
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. moderate

is 30 a decent enough attempt?