[Official] CAT 2010- 4th Nov - Day Seven Discussions

39 Posts  ·  50 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http:/...
Page 1 of 4

this for all puys who took the cat on 4th novemeber this year

i just talked to the prometric guys to inform them about the wrong questions.

Since it is a high time :nono: and they must be dealing with all the complaints pouring in about the wrong questions, i appeal to all you people that for your own benefit :lookround: kindly write your complaints and along with the detalis of the questions that you found wrong in the your slot so that cat authorities find the complaints more credible and take some firm and logical step to compensate us guys for the time we wasted in attempting and raking our brains with thosee wrong questions :banghead:

thanks ppl :cheers:

here is the link i am providing kindly do it right away

IIM-CAT Contact Us

1-800-103-9293 this is the help line number( from 9 am to 6 pm)

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hello puys,

mine attempt was 32 n approx. 26 would b right.........wat range f %ile do i expect?

thnxs in advance

jaipuria noida 3 : 30 slot

found the paper easy
quant 17
DI 14
VA 18.. 1 passage on philosophy was monkey shit..:banghead:
having around 80 percent accuracy...
hoping for a good per centile...

.. missed 2 sitter in quant,,:banghead: ..

Hi Puys,
Posting after a long time. Here goes my experience
CAT Center, Date and Slot: Regional College of Management,Bhubaneswar, 4th November - 3:30 pm
1) How many attempts you have made? QA-15 ; VA- 16 ; DI - 9 or 10.:banghead:
2) Your last mock score? Last CL Procmoc 91 %ile. All of my scores are in the range of 75-90(Average JOE !!! )
3) How was your experience of the test? Excellent. Though my performance could have been better.
4) What was the surprise element for you?
-Can't call that as a surprise now due to the earlier slots but then the length of the di qns were pretty big.
- One more thing I noticed was the presence of 2 quant qns from previous year papers !!
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
- Don't drink too much water(u know why !!)
- Go to the washroom 30 mins before since the invigilators don't allow the candidates to go out after 3:00 pm.
- Try to enter the lab as late as possible so that you would be fresh when you sit infront of the computer.
- While doing calculations mark each qn's rough work separately so that you won't get confused if you want to come back to a particular qn.
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.
QUANT- Easy to Moderate. I call it easy because I could attempt 15 ! Most of the qns could be attempted by looking at options and substituting values(My fav methods since I lack basics ). 2-3 were real sitters and 4 were really tough.
ENGLISH- Moderate . 1 RC was out of this world(A Philosophical one ofcourse !!).What on earth were they thinking when they gave this RC. I have been giving MBA Xams for 3 years now but never in my life I have seen such a RC. Words usage were doable and so were the Parajumbles.Para completion were tricky. A good mix of all questions.
(From what I dicsussed with friends some questions were repeated in slots-Anchor questions and the qns were from word usage..)
Reasoning and DI- Moderate- My nemesis once again as in CAT 2008. Couldn't give much time due to Verbal. 5 to 6 sets with 2 qns and rest all single set qns. Good mix of graphs and reasoning though the graphs were pretty wierd.
I found out from PG that some qns in DI didn't had correct options .Thank God I didn't attempt those or else my attempts would have been even less.
Reasonig sets were doable and I could have attempted 2-3 more had I given some more time to DI. Puys do attempt Reasoning more as graphs are not properly drawn in the xams which can lead to confusion.
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.
- Don't go with any preconceived notion of doing a particular number of questions from a particular section.
Or else you would be in trouble like me. In PG I found that all the previous slots had time consuming and difficult DI. So I thought that I would be doing all qns from Verbal which was my strong section to compensate for DI. What I got in the xam was a googly(mind boggling RC) and doable DI.
If I could have not wasted 10-15 mins extra on verbal and spent that on DI, my performance would have been better.
So Puys pleeeez don't expect anything while you go into the xam hall.
- Please please do all the previous year quant questions till 2008. Atleast have a look if you don't have time to solve them .I bet 1 or 2 qns would be repeated.
All the best ..Do well..

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Swami Vivekananda Institute of management, Kolkata; Morning Slot (Sorry for late updation, was a lil busy bursting crackers... :P)

1) attempts: 51 (15 in QA, 16 in DI and 20 in VA)

2) mock scores: Has varied from 51.xx once to 97.xx a coupla times. I manage to be in the 92-95 %ile zone in almost all the other CL mock cats and the aimcats..

3) experience of the test: Absolutely zero technical glitches. The aimcats used to have more technical glitches than the actual cat 2010. Period.

4) surprise element: DI's lengthiness. There was very less reasoning involved, and I had to leave 2 questions coz' I had eaten up deep my VA prospects... Graphs were surprisingly easy, but were not calibrated well.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better: By this time, we all have got very familiar wid the online thingy. So, just treat the cat as any aimcat. Use the review button wisely in the end, it may earn you a few more sitters somewhere...

6) Overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.: Quant was easy. Had about 11-12 sitters. I gave 50 mins to quant and did reasonably well by attempting 15 (given the fact that Quant has remained my Achilles' heels in the aimcats). DI, as I said earlier, was very lengthy. Full time venn diagrams wid one question. There were times when I felt like killing the question setter. At one point of time, I had 0nly 25 mins left, and was stuck on the calculations of the 18th question of DI. Had the entire VA section left. Had to trade off DI for VA. Attempted the 20 questions of VA in about 23 mins (Aimcats have been generous enough to show me that I score reasonably well in VA). In the last 2 minutes, I got panicked coz. I knew that I had 2 mins and 3 questions of DI left, and I also knew tht starting all the calculations wouldn't reach me nowhere. So, when about 40 secs were left, I started concentrating on the graphs and this answer to one question hit me graphically. Clicked it just 6 seconds before the end and hence reached the DI's count to 16.
VA options were pretty close, and hence not expecting an exceptional accuracy; but then, it was ambiguous for all... No guessing work in Quant (15), one logical guess in DI (16), and most probable answers in VA (20). That was my CAT 2010. and am satisfied. :cheers:

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. : All the best to those who know they can. Coz' that's what matters.
Being a first timer, CAT'10 was more of a learning game for me. Let's see whether I have learnt enough. :grin:

Hollow Hearted.
P.S. Google arbit speculations. You'll reach my blog.:biggrin:

Ok, Hello Puys and Pirls :cheers:
A very Happy Deepawali to you all
This is my first post. I am not much of a forum guy. But curiosity does kill the cat often and I also took the exam so I thought I would read the reviews and find out the optimum number of attempts and im tempted now to post here.
I never prepared one single day and I did graduate in 2009 and since then I have been working. I just gave cat once in my final year ( last to last year) and that was it. So I went to the exam without any sort of prejudice or pressure and although the waiting and regulations even on nature's call were disappointing, the overall experience was quite decent and hassle free. I should now revert to the format or else these pagal guys will delete my post

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: HR Institute, Ghaziabad . Date: 4th November Time : 3.30 pm

1) How many attempts you have made? 55

Quant - 18 ( 2 guesses) DI - 18 VA-19

2) Your last mock score? N.A. ( I got 99.6 percentile in cat 2008 )

3) How was your experience of the test? It was good, I thought. Quite easy considering i hadnt prepared onething. and I think atleast 1 question was wrong too.
4) What was the surprise element for you? The amount of time I could give to every question was suitable. So dont be surprised if people tell you they did all the questions.
A better way to use the waiting time would be get your focuse. It really works. I revised all the formulaes in my mind during tht one hour. I even asked the guy adjacent to tell me what i cudnt recall. Even he dint knw. Sadistic, but it made me confident
Overall I feel quant was ok except for a couple of questions ( i dint clear quant in my first attempt last to last year though i think its my strongest point:wow:)
DI was easy but a lil lengthy for my liking, calculative, though some questions and one question was wrong too
VA : I cant comment. One philosophical RC was a lil tough but then i like philosophy. otherwise VA was quite moderate.
Dont leave any topic in quant, because i think they ask from almost every topic and just the basics. Also , dont go with ur mind already made about how many u want to attempt. It is all very subjective

Senior Puys, can u please tell me the way the cat people will mark the paper coz they dint mention how many marks wud they award for right answer or deduct for wrong answer.

Ne comments or queries are welcome 😃
Cheers
M

Overall attempts-47(QA-16, VA-17:D, DI-14:shocked:)
Mock score-Varied from 41%tile to 98%tile..avg in mid 90s in Sim Cat

Experience- The test was glitch free, Thank God. But i guess nothing can justify the 2hr waiting time. That just takes the tension to another level.
But i guess there should be a bit more space between two cubicles. The person next to me accidentally pressed the "End Test" button.:shocked: Because of that the people there had to come and go again and again, for which i lost out about 5 minutes.:-(

Surprise element- The type of questions...which were ambiguous...and that handkerchief wasn't allowed even when i had a bad cold.

Tips to handle test- Switch off your monitor as soon as you sit in your cubicle till you are given further instructions. and try to keep drowsiness at bay. being tensed doesn't help the drowsiness factor, let me assure you. And make use of the Review button and the highlighting option intelligently. and DO NOT leave RC passages for the last and DO NOT do them 1 after the other. There should be a break between 2 RCs

Analysis of the test-
QA- The paper was damn easy. If you are thorough with your class X concepts, it is enough. 5-6 were sitters, 3-4 were difficult, rest were moderate. i think 1 of them was definitely wrong.And it would do well to solve your SIM Cats again as questions were of the same level, 1 of them even exactly the same. Concentrate of Number systems.
VA/RC- The RC section was tough. 2 inferential paragraphs, with at least 3 close options. Rest were easy, though para completion required a bit of deliberation.
DI/LR-in one word "WEIRD". Some questions were sitters, others were impossible to solve, in some, data would be ambiguous. I think at least 2 questions were definitely wrong. Questions were mostly lengthy.

Any other info
-Unlike previous CATs, speed is the buzz word...as cutoffs are gonna be irrationally high....

Didn't feel like posting yesterday cause i messed up the test :(
Anyways,
Slot - 4th Nov. 3:30 P.M
TIT Institute, Bhopal

No. of attempts-
VA - 17-18
DI - 12-13
QA - 13-14
OA - 42-45

Your last mock score
In my signature, averaging around 95%ile. Here's the link - MOCKS

How was your experience of the test?
Glitch free, very professionally carried out.

What was the surprise element for you?
Found it tough, already knew about the lengthy DI, thanks to fellow puys.

Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
Try to remain focused during the waiting time.

Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

QA -
One thing I can say it wasn't easy, at least moderate with some sitters and difficult ones in between. Very little of the conventional types.

DI -
Messed up here, some were very lengthy. Some had irrelevant data, some were ridiculously easy, had mix of DI and LR both.

VA/RC -
Started with this section, 1st RC was out of the world:shocked:, couldn't make head or tail of it(philosophy). Never encountered such an RC in any AIMCAT. Still VA was doable, so had some respite there.

OA -
I know I messed up but I think this test form was atleast of AIMCAT level. Wasn't expecting this.

Any other query or something you would like to share with us?

Just don't go with a fixed mindset, any section may turn out to be tough. Keep a free mind and everything should be fine.

ALL THE BEST TO ALL THE PUYS !!

SLOT: 3.30pm
centre-SNGCE,Kochi
1) How many attempts you have made?38 (va-13,lr-15,qa-10)
2) Mock scores? 92 to 96 ptile, average 94 in mocks
3) How was your experience of the test?
The way the test was conducted was smooth and impeccable,absolutely no glitches.The people conducting the test knew what they were doing. But the center was located in remote area, far away from city limits and going to the test center was a hell of a nightmare. With the traffic jams adding to our woes, I would advise other candidates to find out and visit the center the previous day.

4) What was the surprise element for you?
For me, the Quant section was very tough. Going by the reports, I think the quant section in this slot has been the toughest of all slots till now. Quant definitely had me stumped. VA had 3-4 sitters, but the options for other questions had to be chosen carefully. Overall, I felt VA as moderate. DI was a bit lengthy but most questions were doable.
Atleast one qtn in QA was wrong and a 2 qtn DI set was wrong. I realized something was wrong in that DI set as soon as I read it, but I wasted a full 5 min on that wrong qa qtn.

As I said, QA-tough, VA and DI-moderate. Personally, I would say this slot was tough.

I would really like to know exactly how the IIMs normalize the scores across the slots. And what happens when a slot has a higher proportion of well-prepared candidates? Will it be a disadvantage for others in that slot?

Hi guys...

4th Nov was the big day for me...... took the CAT 2010, here are my experiences...

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida, 4th Nov 3:30 pm

1) How many attempts you have made? around 42
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at
Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here. N/A
3) How was your experience of the test?
wonderful, absolutely glitch free and smooth. Kudos to Prometric......
4) What was the surp
rise element for you? none
Dont loose your focus during the test. One has to look up the screen for question and then look down to solve it on sheet. too many up and down movements for eyes might be stressful.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. QA..Moderate, DI Lenghty, VA easy..