[Official] CAT 2010-31st Oct - Day Four Discussions

26 Posts  ·  34 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock S...
Page 1 of 3
Meritrac Mumbai, 31st Oct 2010 and 10:00AM:

1) How many attempts you have made?
Rough estimate - QA(13), VA(17), DI(16)
Total - 46

2) Your last mock score?
Got a couple of 99 percentiles, with some wild aberrations (85 etc.) between

3) How was your experience of the test? Flawless! Though you may have to prepare yourself for a really long wait

4) What was the surprise element for you? QA - was a weird paper, with couple of sitters and a bunch of really unseen/tough questions. I consider it as my strength but could not attempt much - anyone with a similar experience regd. QA please do post in this forum!!

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Be prepared for surprises, and do not read too much into the experiences of others.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. Was way tougher than cat 2009 - key was to choose the right questions and aim for accuracy.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.
All the best everyone - relax 😃
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Reva Institute B'lore, 31st Oct 2010 and 10:00AM:

I dint get time to count my attempts. It should be around 40.
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here. No link. And was not regular at giving AIMCAT's this year.
3) How was your experience of the test? Overall experience was good. I faced some issues when they were taking my finger prints. System was not recognizing my prints for quite sometime. They tried my index and middle finger several times but it dint work. Then they tried my ring finger and it worked. But the CAT offical to whom this incident was reported started shouting why she wasn't informed before and etc.. I gave my finger prints close to 20 times :(
4) What was the surprise element for you? No suprises in the experience of the exam but DI section was little bit suprising.
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Keep your mind occupied while waiting for the exam to begin.
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. I felt, DI section was tough.
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. Nope.
All the best for the people who haven't given yet!
Happy Diwali to all!!! :D
Reddy clan! :P

This is the experience of a friend of mine. This was his first attempt, but no mocks, I had just given him past 10 years papers one day before the CAT :)

He wants to apply for FPM only.

SLOT: 31st 3.30, Thakur Mumbai

Number of Attempts: QA (17+1), DI (13+2), verbal (19+1) OA (49+4) The smaller numbers are the intelligent guesses he made

The test was smooth

Surprise. Everything was a surprise. He was not aware that there will be 60 questions, with 20 in each 😃 But a very sharp student, did a branch change from btech elec to Msc integrated maths at IITK :)

Judgement:

QA- around 10 were easy, ( he is good in algebra functions and polynomials), some questions required smart tricks like substituting suitable values. Atleast 1 question was wrong

DI- Very lengthy and useless sets. He felt it was all too much. And he thought many questions did not rquire even half the data.

Verbal- Avid reader, hence found verbal easy except for one question on word usage. he took an intelligent guess.

Advice: Practice DI, rest is cakewalk

Hello puys,

Thread opened for 2nd November experiences here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/official-cat-2010-2nd-nov-day-five-discussions-25059606

Also, I am making a repository of all the CAT day experiences threads here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/cat-2010-official-experiences-threads-repository-25059592

We cannot make all the threads sticky and so, we will have to unstick few of the older threads as we proceed. So, have compiled all of them at one place. Will keep on adding threads to the post as and when a thread is opened.

Cheers,
Shashank

Captain, PG Dream Team 2010 | CAT 11 - 100%ile | CET 10 - Rank 1 (211/240) | Co-founder Learningroots

:thumbsup:And here's my CAT 2010 Experience:

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Thakur Polytechnic,Mumbai. 31st Oct,2010, 3.30 pm

1) How many attempts you have made : OA:46, (Approx break-up : DI :10 ,QA:12, VA:18 :splat:

2) Your last mock score? Aimcats percentiles veering between 91-98percentile

3) How was your experience of the test : Well conducted, no glitches at all

4) What was the surprise element for you: Actually, no surprises at all for someone who has written a few AIMCATS, TIME surely made sure of that.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better : Keep your cool, do not panic if u see a lot of data on the screen, and do practise reading RC on the computer screen, its an accepted fact that reading speed comes down on a PC

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc :
QA- easy
DI- LR was quite simple, just a bit of thought, DI was not tough, its all about practise
VA- Sitter for someone who has taken AIMCATS and analysed them, i repeat analysed them..!!

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us: Even though my train from Jalgaon got late and i reached the center by 2.30pm, the people there were supportive and showed no arrogance or discontent, I really appreciate this gesture from their part:cheers::cheers:..

Cheers
Nithin
Marico Ltd

Slot:Oct 31st.

This is my second attempt at CAT. Got 86.73% in cat 2009 but couldnt get any decent college.

i felt CAT 2010 was way easier than CAT 2009 because VA was easier(no inference questions in RC like CAT 2009),DI was so easy(not so tough reasoning and difficult to understand graphs like CAT 2009). QA was similar to CAT 2009 .Slightly tougher as they have extended the scope of topics.

My attempts: 18 QA,20 VA,19 DI( 57 OA)...not sure abt accuracy in QA.

QA: There were lot of sitters. Any good student can attempt 15 questions.The difficult questions ranges from 3-5 questions which are asked from not so familiar topics like conditional probablity,equation of circles,normal curves,never seen P&C; problems. Though i attempted 15 questions in 30 mins but couldnt touch any of the remaining quests as i dint have knowledge about the topics.One should have strong fundamentals of high school maths to crack these questions. Acheiving high percentile lies in cracking these questions. With some guess i attempted three more.

VA: Very easy.Lot of reasoning based questions.Even an average student can attempt 16-17 questions with very high accuracy.Usage of correct words were so simple(words that are used in day2day life)

DI: Again so easy.No thinking required. Make sure your attempts are not less than 17 if you encounter a such an easy paper.

My advice dont waste time in quants.Please make best attempts at VA and DI .

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: IMM , Delhi , 31 october 2010, 3.30 pm

1) How many attempts you have made?approx 47-49 VA(1DI(11-13)QA(16-1 . I didn't count. Just an estimate from the view of "REVIEW SCREEN"
2) Your last mock score? last Mock CL proc 9 -95%ile. The entire season I had around 88 to 99%ile in both CL and AIMCATs
3) How was your experience of the test? Center Staff was not very much visible during the exam. Though they were very active in initial registration part
4) What was the surprise element for you? Nothing
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Stay cool and don't drink water at least 2 hrs before the exam as u won't be allowed to leave during the exam. Don't doze off while waiting for the exam which will be approx 2 hrs

Don't get attached to any question , the paper will be filled with sitters just make sure you spot them.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

VA - pretty straightforward for prepared candidates. One PJ and grammar went over my head. Vocab n rest of PJ were moderate.
QA - There were speed breakers. Questions had close options. Even easy questions were not easy as they had options which could make you commit mistake. Some seemingly difficult questions could be cracked on second reading/attempt of the question

LRDI - was lenghty as most passage type question had only one or two question. Better idea would have been to try to spot what the question was asking.

P.S. - Mods please notify if any breach of NDA is there I will edit,

Puys..
I thought of writing my experience yesterday only...but met a friend at center and then whole day we were doin MASTI....u know post CAT effect :)

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: IBMT college,3rd stage,Banashankri,Bangalore-560085.
slot: morning 10.00 am

Between 40-42

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here.
I did not join any coaching ...joined only test series..but because of hectic office schedule...could not write any...however, i brought all the mocks to home and did 9 MOCKS...i was happy with my performance....i could complete 45-50 questions rite in a tough mock of 70 questions.

3) How was your experience of the test?

It was good...no technical glitch this time and everything was well managed...:) Good job Prometric :)
haan...u can sleep in the lab if you get your system soon 😃 i did sleep for 35 mins approx:)

4) What was the surprise element for you?

DI :(
i never thought DI also can screw u sometimes
Also, when we were done with the paper ..guy sitting next to me was ogling at his computer screen,,,and so do i...he clicked on "END TEST" and then his computer screen was like he is gona start the test once again,,,,i got cold feet.....but a guy from prometric was called in....he pressed a combination of keys on keyboard and everything went fine 😃 LUCKY guy..

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

Please have a SOUND sleep of at least 9-10 hours before the exam day....i could sleep for 6 hours and was very sleepy...luckily i took a nap for 35 mins and it went fine...

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

VA- maximum questions were on jumbled sentences and fill in the correct word...
RC was easy...
mere paper mei aur kuch jyada dikha nahi in dono sections k alawa 😃 in VA

DI section...DI was tough i would say...questions in DI were not easy to comprehend...they sound very simple but when you sit to solve them..then u know how long it is...

Quants was not too tough as well....

I felt paper was not that tough...moderate it was
again DI may screw-up my score :banghead:

overall rating of the paper : MODERATE

ya...PG rocks :)

ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL...who are in the QUEUE for CAT10

vacation from 3-16 😃 yipee

CAT Centre, Date and Slot:
RB College Mohali, 31 Oct, 3:30 pm

OA-42: LRDI-14, VA: 14, QA-14

2) Your last mock score?
Last Mock Score: 98%, avg mock percentile 95.

3) How was your experience of the test?

> There were four checking counters.
> Had to wait for 2 hours. So keep myself awake, i did chatting with the person sitting next to me(though it wasn't allowed) or with the proctors(asking silly questions).
> Test starting procedure was smooth. No login-password error this time(as it was there last year).
> Once test started, it was all smooth, no glitches, no disturbance nothing.

Overall experience was very good. This time CAT-Prometric gave a good glitches-free test.

4) What was the surprise element for you?
As such no surprise in the whole process. Quite similar to last year.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
Don't ask anything about questions or test from any person who has already taken the exam. He/she might tell you wrong things. Or u might make a mindset, that is again not good for you. So just take it as another Mock Test. Without any anxiety or pressure. Even if you do bad, it's not the end. There any many good exams ahead. Do good in them.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam.
60 questions 20-20-20. It sounds cliche now :)

LRDI: Since Cat has started, i am following CAT experience Threads. In many post i read, there are more DI sets with extensive calculations this time, and less LR. But in my test, there was only one DI set with 2 questions any only 2 digit calculation. And surprisingly, no DS. I am repeating, don't go with a mindset.

EU: 3 RC- 3 questions each: Inference based questions mostly.
4 Parajumbles: They were very difficult as options were very close.
Vocab was good. Doable
Grammar part was again very difficult. 3 questions.
There were exactly 2 questions in EU, where 2 of the options were same.
Be careful in attempting such questions.

Quant: It was a surprise section for me. No TSD, no mixtures in my test. Exactly 2 of the questions, where no correct option was given.

NO

There is one thing i would like to share. It's regarding the checking process. Puys, read the second page of your admit card very carefully. It includes what u need to carry.
Why i am saying this? Because there were more than 5 students in my slot, at my center who brought their college id cards as their id proofs. But, the cards were expired. And the candidates were not allowed to take the test.
These are a few cases:
1) One girl, who had college id card valid from June 2007 to June 2010, was not allowed. She was asked for another id proof, but she didn't have.
2) There was this guy with DL as his id proof. But there was a difference of 2 years in the birthyear mentioned in his CAT info and DL. He, also, wasn't allowed.

They were given verbal confirmation that their exam could be rescheduled. They were also asked to write a mail to Prometric regarding this.

All The Best.
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: everonn compass ,gurgaon 31,oct,,10 am
How many attempts you have made?---QA-16,DI-17,VA-17 OA-50
Your last mock score?--CL mocks avg Score 90 %tile
How was your experience of the test?? nice...i rached early and was seated at my place at 8.10 am....though there was some space problem..there wasnt enough space to keep my scratch paper as the monitor was acquiring amost of the space..i also complained to the staff but he replied" everyone is giving in this way"...somehow i managed...
What was the surprise element for you?...nothing...but there was one set in DI in which answers didnt match so i had to choose the nearest option.
Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? watch the ticker
Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.--
QA--moderate to difficult...though the questions were doable but time consuming
2 questions were sitters that took less than 15 secs to answer
DI-Easy to moderate...not time consuming ..though some sets were lengthy but the info was useless and questions were doable.in DI there was one pie chart set and one bar graph set...both were very easy and one was simple graph set which was a sitter
VA--moderate to difficult...rc was tough ... there were three sets of rc...two with 3 questions each and one wid 2 question...
Any other query or something you would like to share with us.---no

difficulty level was nowhere close to CL's mock...it was easier ...