[Official] CAT 2010-30th Oct - Day Three Discussions

14 Posts  ·  20 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock S...
Page 1 of 2
How many attempts you have made?
qa=16, va=15,di=13
How was your experience of the test?
Overall = Good
What was the surprise element for you?
DI was big surprise as there were questions directly from the chart values, only few calculations were long and it took lot of time to make sure that there was no other trick involved.
Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
Just be comfortable with your system and scratch pad and you dont waste time in managing that later. Also good to give practise test just before starting actual exam.
Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.
The pattern was as expected and very similar to the questions i had done while coaching in career launcher.
DI: tricky because you wont assume values to be directly taken from figures given but speed was reuqired.
QA: again due to time limitation speed and clarity of concepts was the main thing required.
VA : it was simple to me and rcs were not too difficult

All the best to everyone

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
1) How many attempts you have made? QA 16 DI 15 VA 20 OA 51
2) Your last mock score? 99+ in most of test funda sitter mocks

3) How was your experience of the test? could have done better :banghead: .... still have some hope
4) What was the surprise element for you? va was very simple
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? use the highlighting tool wisely in RC's and in DI caselets
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. VA MOSTLY VERY SITTER , QA LITTLE TRICKY . DI A BIT LENGTHY AND MORE CALCULATION BASED :wow:
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.CO NOT DRINK MUCH WATER BEFORE THE TEST :drinking:
What you see is what you get ... Jerry McGuire :-) https://www.facebook.com/manmishr

Name ( in manish sir style) : SA, its not South Africa. It's a gal .. she is from PG . all i can say is she can be termed Deccan boxer :P

CAT Centre, Date and Slot:
30/10 10 am slot

1) How many attempts you have made? QA 14 LDI 17 VA 20 OA 51

2) mock scores 95+ in most of the aimcats :cheers: strengths - di and qa , weakness - va : .. cat 2009 - 98.xx

3) How was your experience of the test?
QA - moderate to difficult ..question came from all topics .. set theory covered more questions it seems (around 6)

DI - moderate -lengthy but less calculative intensive . few sets were fresh for her !

VA - 3 RC passage were abstract but manageable. pj,sc were all moderate

4) What was the surprise element for you? fresh DI sets
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. VA - moderate QA - moderate to difficult LDI - moderate
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.

two point she emphasized was 1) cover as much variety of DI graphs you can ..
2) go for accuracy in quants .. it isnt that easy as ppl say :

You are not rich until you own your mistakes - Linda Poindexter

Hello Guys,

First thing first. My post is for those who are constantly scoring in the range of 50-80. So toppers can ignore my post..:o

I have attended 2009 CAT as well and it was no doubt tougher than that but still I feel I have done better than that.

1) How many attempts you have made?
QA-10,VA-11,DI-10 (I can't increase my speed so I concentrated on Accuracy)
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here.
NA
3) How was your experience of the test? It was quite good.
4) What was the surprise element for you? Nothing as such,Those who are doing good in AimCat can certainly perform well in this. Concentrate more on Log,Set Theory, on DI side Pie Chart,Bar Graph etc.
5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Just be cool and try to do Your strong section first.
6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.Overall it wasmoderate to Difficult. You will get few sitters, Few easy to solve and few can't Solve Q. You need to recognize them ASAP.
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us. Don't panic before exam just chill. Last year I screwed up because of this. Just think that CAT is not a big deal and you can crack it. Stick to your basics and don't worry about AimCat difficulty level paper, As it's no where near to that.

As this will be my last attempt so keeping my fingers crossed on my accuracy. All the best to you guys.:cheers:

Kochi
Afternoon Slot

QA=14, DI=15, VA=18

2) Your last mock score?
Aimcat 1101 - 109 (96%ile)
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mock-scores-repository-2010-25050562
Overall = Good

4) What was the surprise element for you?
DI had a 4 ques set where the answers where in the ques. I wasn't expecting this level in CAT and actually wasted time double checking the ques. to see if i had missed something!

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
The interface is pretty simple. I dont think it should be a major problem for anyone.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

QA -
Moderate . A couple of P&C; ques were asked (which i am pretty weak at). Also there was no ques from geometry which was suprising. But there were about 5-6 sitters which could be easily solved.

DI - Easy. Questions were pretty straighforward except for 1 set which seemed time consuming so i skipped it.

VA - Moderate. The usual para jumbles, fill in the blanks, correct usages,etc. 3 RC's - 1 was very long (like the types in TIME aimcats), 1 was moderately long & easy, 1 was short but was philosophical & abstract and hence, difficult to understand.

Although i ended up attempting 47 i feel those who kept their cool could have attempted above 50 qns easily. Overall the paper's standard was similar to the last 3 TIME AIMCATS.

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE :thumbsup:

I'm done and now :drinking:
Hope for the Best / Prepare for the Worst
Bangalore , IBS
AfterNoon Slot
QA:15,DI:10,VA:20
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at : NA
Have not taken any
Overall Very Good
DI , How can they set-up such a DI Paper.
Pre-adjust your Monitor and Seat According to your comfort level 😃
QA - Moderate to difficult level ..2 guesses ( had to choose between 2 options). I Spent 55-60 Mins in this section So Mismanaged my time here (A Lesson for the future )

DI:Questions were not Difficult but very time consuming.
1 ? each casselet in 12 of the casselets . More of a Speed test than your logic .
Messed up big time as i only had 38 mins for the section and i am slow in Calculations :splat: .

VA:I found VA on the easier side. Eliminating 2 options was very easy ,, So overall less time consuming , RCs were moderate with not so confusing options , I was able to attempt all 20 straight in 40 mins .

My analysis might not be a very good analysis for those who have prepared very well as i have not prepared Much. What one find difficult is relative to what he has not prepared So well :)

Please ignore my Language structure(SMS style) , bit in a hurry ..

Thanks.
" In today's world, quotes don't matter. Quotas do! " !
Kolkata
Morning Slot
QA:13,DI:16,VA:20
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here.
Have not taken any
Very well managed by the representatives.
The level of questions
Please go through the Tutorial properly and you should be fine.
QADifficult. I was actually surprised to see some of the questions.
People from previous slots said they just needed to use formulas to get the answers but the questions in my slots were quite tricky.
One needs thorough understanding of topics to answer.Some of the questions were from abstract topics.They might not be tough but if you dont have any idea about it you wont be able to answer.Yes around 4-5 questions were comparatively simple but overall a difficult paper.Noway comparable to CAT 2009 paper.
DI:Easy to Moderate.Questions were mostly of average level of difficulty.
If you keep a cool head you will manage most of it.It did not involve too much calculation.All in all it was comapartively the easiest of the three sections.
VA:Moderate.No surprises here. 3RCs and remaining verbal ability.NO obsolete questions.Mostly parajumbles,sentence correction,fill in the blank..RC answer options were close though.Overall a moderate level paper.
I have no idea how they will normalize the scores between easy and difficult papers..hopefully they have a proper process in place.

Lastly,
Please do not go with any preconcieved notion.
Judge the questions and attempt accordingly.
If you have done your homework you will do well.

All the Best.
hello puys...
Had my CAT today..
TEST CENTER: RVS College of Engineering,Jamshedpur. even in a small city like jamshedpur the center was far too away from the city...my shoulders were aching driving all the way up there. I was preparing well for the CAt till oct ,after which my perp took a serious dip due to various reasons and in th lst week before CAT it was almost nil. In my last aim-cat i had a score of 60%ile:shocked:.... I just could not focus in the last few days.was angry at myself fr not being able to do so, bt just couldnt help fr some reasons. had not slept properly fr the entire week, so was a bit apprehensive abt my performance... but like they say there is a silver lining in
every dark cloud here i had mine... due to all my tensions i just did not have time to think or worry about CAT. i was not all that tensed bt wanted to get thru this one badly(it remains to be seen whether i do so...)
the good thing was that my younger brother was also taking the CAT with me....so didnt get bored like the last time wen i had appeared fr CAT alone..... Now getting down to the real thing
1) How many attempts you have made? 58
qa:18(1 is surely wrong, 2others i marked after eliminating 2 options, so the might be incorrect), ldi:20, i m very susceptible to silly mistakes so might hav committed a few, bt otherwise dont think there shud be any incorrect, va:20 supposedly my strongest section bt it ditched me big time lat yr where i got only 75%ile:shock: in the section
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here. NA bt it has ranged frm 98 %ile to as less as 60 %ile in my last aimcat.Had got 91%ile in CAT last yr courtesy va 75%ile...

better than last yr hoping to get a percentile better than last yr as well.. My brother was sitting just beside me bt no chance of cheating as there were cartoons placed between computers..

this is a god one.... u wudnt believe it... i got rcs which i had read before:cheers: and 1 question in qa which i had solved at home

dont be very procedure oriented and keep ur focus thats it

qa:moderately tough... i had around 5 mins left in the end bt could not solve 2 questions in this section. ldi: moderate time consuming with a lot of single questions, 2 sets full of calculation, others mostly logical... some questions too wordy and intimidating on first look bt questions asked on them relatively simple... va: tough... verbal section was relatively easy bt the rcs were really tough... anyone who says it wasnt tough is fooling u... bt i was the lucky guy... so i had an edge in here.. i cud complete all the 3 rcs in 15 mins which saved me a lot of time and thus so many attempts. i may still be wrong in the rcs bcoz these r philosophy writers whose writing is subject to interpretations and i have mine... bt they did save me some precious time.. if nothing else at least the questions based on wat the author would do and wat question shud be asked to him shud be right... bcoz i know the psychology of the author..

I guess i have shared enough.. i feel 45 correct shud get u 99.5 %ile in CAT.. by the way my brother attepted 48... all the best puys.. hope i halped:cheerio: if i dont bell it this time i guess i never will
Remember not to click on a question if u dont wanna attempt. I faced a problrm when in a DI section there were two ques and I clicked on 1 and it got answered. I didnt know how to rvert back if i dont want to attempt it!!!

You can click again on the selected option and the question becomes unattempted. I had the same problem with 1 question and an extra click on the same option did the trick

hiii puys. posting after a ling time. Gave my CAT 2day. Blame it me that I tend to go blank after giving any xam but i will try to recollect as much as I can. So lemme share my xp without violating the rules.

EIILM kolkata,30th oct,10 am

1) How many attempts you have made?DI-15,QA-12,VA-lesser
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at
Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here.
none
Be prepared to get bored if you follow prometric's guidelines to arrive 2 hrs b4 the test, but i would advice u to do that. Think nothing in the two hours. I just followed their instructions and looked:lookround: at chicks. I even slept from 9-9:30 sitting infront of my system(last nite I returned from office at 11 and woke up 2day at 6, needed more sleep). The proctors were very cooperative. I thing seemed odd that we were not even allowed to take our handkerchief with us(what if I have swine flu:wow:)in the lab.
I donno why the DI seemed easy to me. Calculation based but some were direct ques from the info given in the section. I was surprised when they were addressing everybody as sir and madam during registration.
If you are new to prometric please take the intro test b4 the real test. it helps.
DI-moderate QA-moderately difficult(one ques was on same pattern as in 1 of the TIME AIMCATs) VA-difficult(i m weak in VA):-(.
Remember not to click on a question if u dont wanna attempt. I faced a problrm when in a DI section there were two ques and I clicked on 1 and it got answered. I didnt know how to rvert back if i dont want to attempt it!!!

BTW it was nice xp. All the best to other CAT takers and puys.
Now gotta fix some bugs. Waiting eagerly for the results. BBYE.