[Official] CAT 2010- 29 Oct - Second Day Discussions

13 Posts  ·  18 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock S...
Page 1 of 2
Date: 29/10/2010
Center: NOU, Patna
Slot: 03:30 PM

1) How many attempts have you made?

QA-11:splat: DI-14 VA-16

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010), please provide the link here.

Have consistently scored in the range 80-95 percentile

3) How was your experience of the test?

Pretty good. Hassle free with highly co-operative invigilators except one standing right behind me who kept on shouting instructions every 25 mins at the top of his voice.

4) What was the surprise element for you?

None at all.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

Be prepared to undergo the tedious process of checking in with prometric (biometric details stuff). I would suggest one should take a short nap to stay calm and composed.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

The test was not as easy as everyone claimed it to be on the first day.
DI was lengthier than what i was expecting. QA(my weakest section) had easy questions but the options were tricky. VA was easily doable within 30-35 mins with2 abstract passages. The test should be quite easy for people who've been doing consistently well in the mocks.

ATB to those who are yet to write the paper.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hello everyone:|,

29th oct, svct indore, II slot

55 attempts-VA(19),DI(17),QA(19)

i wasn't regular at AIMCAT's coz i knew actual cat is far different but i solved papers and Q similar to cat papers alot and i advise u all to do the same.

surprise element- i dropped the keyboard down in between xam and i missed a very simple quant Q by a whisker(xam ended):shocked:
but i was satisfied with my effort:cheers:
quant was read-nd-click type, DI was lengthy,VA was moderate

the way i prepared for the exam made it all smooth for me on the day

the tip to this exam is keep practicing Q of moderate difficulty, dont just limit urself to weak areas, keep everything on tips lyk formulaes,reciprocals,etc

BEST of luck to you guys
feel free to read my articles- who-india.blogspot.com

CBIT(Hyderabad), 29/10/10 morning slot :

1) DI-20,VA-20,QA-20 attempts. (hope i have a good accuracy)
2) http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-and-related-discussion/50562-mock-scores-repository-2010-a-43.html#post2318289
3) Smooth, happy and better than 2009
4) No surprise except that i attempted more number of questions
5) CAT2010 is a better test for our basics. it is enough to be strong in them. if you are strong in them then just be happy or just check them once.
6) Paper was on easier side. i dont know why prometric guys got interested in given irrelevant data rather than giving tough questions.
VA- moderate but toughest among the 3.
QA- if we are familiar with basic formulae then this section would take around 25mins
DI- lenghty section. more data and less questions. moderate difficulty level
7) my biometrics were entered in 16mins. i had to try all my fingers for thumb impression and got registered with my ring finger. since the biometrics are directly verified with prometric server it took them long time. my suggestion to guys who might have same problem would be dont get panic and say "AL IZZ WELL"

Thread for Day 4 Discussions is here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/official-cat-2010-30th-oct-day-three-discussions-25059373

No spam please on the thread. Only experiences. If anyone wants to ask a question, it should be via PM to the concerned user or on the Official CAT query thread here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/cat-2010-official-notification-application-discussions-25044724

If some user feels that there is some info which he/she missed in the first go in his post, you can edit your post to include it. It is fine if you do not make a post again :)

Cheers,
Shashank

Captain, PG Dream Team 2010 | CAT 11 - 100%ile | CET 10 - Rank 1 (211/240) | Co-founder Learningroots

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Mumbai Vikhroli, 29-10-10, 8 A.M.

1) How many attempts you have made?
QA 20 (I feel one of the questions was wrong but still marked it as I was confident of the rest), DI 20 (should be correct), VA 19 (weakest)
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) , please provide the link here.
No preparation, CAT 2009 -- 99.99 , converted calls from A,B
no hiccups at all. My computer screen went off for 5 minutes but I didn't care and I was just very very relaxed today (may be because my purpose of giving CAT was not admission to an IIM)
None
Just be relaxed. It is easier said than done. Paper is simple and if you give it in a relaxed state you wouldn't believe how quickly you can actually go through the test. I believe QA and DI were simpler than last year. VA is not my cup of tea, so can't comment on that.
QA --> very easy to easy
DI --> easy to moderate
VA --> same as last year (I feel)
7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.
Nothing general. I believe you just need to be clear on basics and be relaxed. No need to panic out. Go give your best.

EDITED:

and btw ... after the screen went blank.. the paper restarted from the point I had left... same minute and the same question I was attempting. So if such a thing happens with you, don't worry.

How many attempts have you made? QA-15/16 DI-10(:shocked:) VA-15/16
overall : 40-42
slot 3:30 pm
2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010), please provide the link here. Not Applicable

really good. prometric should try to reduce the waiting time

DI was a big surprise. It was too lenghty atleast for me. should have attempted more

Be cool and calm. nothing else.

QA was a bit tricky but one can easily find few sitters-- moderate
DI was too lengthy. too much data interpretaion with only 1 or max 2 questions for each caselet -- difficult
Verbal -- ambiguous as usual. most of RC questions were inferential in naturr -- moderately difficult

Have coffee if you get a chance just before the test. It helped me :)
try to attempt atleast 12-13 questions in each section. this can give enough margin for minor errors such as calculation mistakes.

I had my CAT today at Saraswati College of Engineering
Slot 10.00 AM -12.30 PM

It was a totally glitch free experience. Really liked the way it was conducted. So rest assured, this year CAT will be a success and Congrats to IIM L and Prof Himanshu Rai to manage it so well.

The centre was quite far from my home (approximately 50 KMs) so I had to get up at 5 :wow: and leave home at around 6. I reached the centre at 7.30 AM Was first one to reach there and had to wait outside the college for 15 minutes. :splat:. Total candidates at my centre in my slot = 9 :wow:. But out of them 2 were absentees and 7 were present.

The rituals were completed at 8.30 only and we had to sit there for more than an hr anxiously. Got some good . One candidate was clever and reached the centre at 9.00 AM 😲 Still they let him in. So it would be good idea to be present at the centre neither earlier nor later than 8.30. So ur waiting time reduces considerably.

The paper started. My planned strategy was VA - QA - DI
To my surprise, the paper itself was in that order :clap:

I started with VA. (50 minutes)
VA = I was very cautious, may be more than required, in dealing with VA(may or may not be advisable). I suck in sentence correction. There were only 2 SC questions which , i feel , helped my cause. I had to get PJs and RCs as many as correct to score a decent percentile. My gut feeling says, my over-cautiousness will help in VA ( Though it rattled the time allocation I earlier planned).
9 RC Questions (Not 3 passage * 3 questions but 4,3,2 with all 3 passages somewhat similar length. :shocked:) Abstract ones, manageable but needed 3 times reading.
then 3 PJs - Very easy to cut down options from 4 to 2 but much tricky to choose correct ones between two. Manageable but needed 3 times reading.
3 Para Completions - Again same as Para Jumbles. 4 to 2 was very easy, But needed more time investment for choosing 1 among those 2.
The above 15 questions may eat more time. But if u get high accuracy n them which, I feel, was quite getable will turn your Fortunes in VA (Advice for ppl, like me, with weak VA)
1 Vocab - All the words in options were the day to day use words. So was easy. More than the rich vocab...getting the context was expected by them.
2 Sentence Corrections - I neither read nor attempt.
1 Multiple Usage - I dunno how it was... difficult/easy/moderate... I dunno
1 Vocab Question based on choosing between two options in each sentences.
(Two of the Words were directly lifted from AIMCAT) Solving it by options will be a better strategy.
So I attempted 16 out of 20. Left a 2 question RC and 2 SCs. I had to leave it here as already 50 minutes were over because only 85 minutes were left and 2 sections were unattempted :shocked:

Quant (45 Minutes)
Two questions had wrong options, according to me I wasted my 10 minutes there without attempting it. I mean, questions were easy but the answers were not present in the options.
Solved 10 questions in 20 minutes. These were easy. U can call them sitters.
Solved remaining 6 questions in 15 minutes.

DI (40 minutes)
I was sure abt DI and I was gonna attempt all 20 questions. To my surprise, Each set had only 2 questions :shocked: We are used to 3 questions per set Still...First set was a replica of an AIMCAT set and 2nd and 3rd was also easy. Solved these 6 questions in 10 minutes. Then come calculation intensive sets, which needed u to invest time. The options in 2 of the questions in a set were very close. So u actually needed to calculate rather than an approximate guess. Okay...Had attempted 17 questions when 3 minutes were remaining. The last set of two questions was humongous. I could not attempt it in 3 minutes:|. Okay, though. I was satisfied by this attempt.
The questions were certainly not difficult but lengthy. So speed should work here.

So, all in all 49 attempts, where last year I had attempted 51 questions but I am confident if I had given this paper last year I could not have crossed 45 questions. So I am satisfied.

Anyway... Now my advice on what to prepare in last few days.
1) Solve CAT 1999-2002 papers.

2) U can ignore AIMCATs. Plz ignore higher maths like Euler Theorem and all :banghead:

3) For Quant, revise all formulae from Arun Sharma or whatever for all topics mentioned therein. It will really help. Get ur basic concepts in place urgently. Important Topics should be Number System, Sets, Geometry, basic Logarithm etc.

4) For VA, solving the above metioned past CAT papers would be enough. The length of RCs is around the same. But expect a bit more tricky questions.

5) For DI... SPEED..Fast Calculations.. Either work on this or allot more time to the section. Here also CAT 1999-2002 papers will be helpful.

Btw...The Non-Disclosure Agreement may not permit me to reveal each and every detail.

Signing Off...

Best Luck .. Phod do ..

Date: 29102010
Center: Everonn Kompass Center, Gurgaon.
Slot: 10:00-12:30

1) How many attempts have you made? QA-16 DI-15 VA-18

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at Mock Scores Repository thread (Mock Scores Repository 2010) (Mock Scores Repository 2010), please provide the link here. Not Applicable

The test was conducted in a good environment and the overall setup was extremely professional.

Nothing special here.

Well, if you are used to sitting in front of the computer screen then you wont face any problems. Also, try staring away from the computer screen after regular intervals, this would help you in reducing the stress on your eyes.

The test was of moderate level with QA being quite easy. On the other hand, i found DI a bit difficult but that could be just because of lack of practice. Verbal was tricky but manageable.

Staying calm and cool would help you a lot during the exam. One thing that i noticed was, the questions are very logical and a clear understanding of basics is required for cracking it. No flashy formulaes, no special preparation, just a solid foundation is the key to the exam. But thats just my 2cents, more like 2paise
@Krammer : Which lab mate?

Date: 29102010
Center: Everonn Kompass Center
Slot: 10:00-12:30

1) How many attempts have you made? QA-14 DI-15 VA-15

Pretty good. Very well carried out. Co-operative proctors, etc.

None, really.

Sitting idle for almost two hours(if you've adhered to Prometric's guidelines of arriving at the center two hours before the scheduled start of the exam) can take away your focus. My advice would be to not arrive that early. You just need to arrive early enough so that you're not restless while the innumerable security checks and the biometric are being done.

The test was not that tough, as the test takers of the previous two days had already said. Seeing that I could attempt 44/60 with only a week's preparation, it shall be quite easy for people who've been preparing for the last few months.

I think it is very important to formulate an exam strategy. Predetermining(on the basis of your AIMCATs and stuff, but not very rigidly) things like which section to attempt first, how much time to devote to each section, which questions to mark, how much time to leave for reviewing your answers/entire paper, etc. does help.

test centre:d y patil coll of engg,pune
date:29 oct morning slot
1.attempts:va(17),qa(12),di(17)
2.last mock score:76%ile(aimcats score ranging from 29.xx to 98.xx
3.overall a good experience
4.no surprise element at all....for me it was as if i was writing another aimcat
5.get your basics right,its enough.....for one who has been scoring consistently it will be a cake walk
6.sectional analaysis
va:verbal was too tough...although m not so good as many of the puys but still i can atleast make that questions were quite tough comparable to aimcats(may be tougher than that)
qa:questions were of moderate level...will not be surprised to see people scoring 60 in this section....its my weakest section managed only 12 :((
di:my strongest setion....attempted 17....the questions were easy but can be considered lengthy....hope people will score heavily in this section

all d best puys 😃