[Official] CAT 2010- 24th Nov - Day Twenty Discussions

10 Posts  ·  14 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at htt...
Page 1 of 1

24 Nov 2010 First Slot, Ahmedabad
Exam was cool and nice.
attempted 59.
Left one confusing question in RC.
maths was very easy...
cheap questions...
5 to 8 question which will take about 2 minutes to solve.

was done with paper by 2 hours...

As this was last day so no suggestion will help others...
Just curious to know if i am not selected...

Cheers....

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: CBIT hyderabad, morning slot

1) How many attempts you have made?

qa- 18 , lrdi- 18 and va-20 OA-56

2) Your last mock score?

last 4-5 aimcats been 99+ percentile

3) How was your experience of the test?

exam was conducted very smoothly. kudos to prometric. just the wait time needs to be reduced.

4) What was the surprise element for you?

no DS questions. and very straight forward DI. was expected a bit more calculation intensive.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

lots of practice..

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.

i felt that the paper was a little on the tougher side as compared to some of the earlier slots.

QA- a few sitters. But some tricky questions as well.. there was this particular geometry question where you could eliminate 3 answer options without looking at the question itself. ( i realized it after solving it )

LRDI- definitely the easiest of the sections. but lack of DS made it slightly more time consuming than it would normally have been. DI had absolute sitters but LR was a little on the tougher side. On particular caselet with 2 questions was impossible to do. spent good 10-15 mins on that.

VA- the passages were short but the questions were tricky. VA has to be the toughest section of the day. Quite a lot of last-sentence questions. ( they screw up accuracy ) .

my take on the exam :
QA- 12-13 , LRDI- 13-14 and VA 11-12 and OA 40+ correct questions should be enough to fetch calls.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.

a lot of people were missing at my centre. i guess the CAT-craze is waning. do other puys share the same opinion?

On 24th Nov, at 10:00 am slot I had my CAT exam at Thakur College of Commerce and Arts. I reached there by 9:15 am and surprisingly they let me in without any objection. And when I was going through identification and finger print process I came to know that there is already a guy named Ashish Kumar Sharma and my seat has been allottted to ahim.. then they call him. His name was Master Ashish Sharma and similarity in name caused this confusion..then they rectified the mistake.

1. My attempts.
VA-20
DI/LR- 19
QA- 14-15
OA-53-55

2. Surprises. There was not a single Qs on data sufficiency! Otherwise everything was normal.

3. Prometric staff- They were really helpful and my experience was better than last yr. (as last yr I was one of the unlucky candidates whose exam were marred by technical glitches and had to be re-scheduled)

4. MOCK-CAT Score.. took some 20 Mock CATs but without %ile. anyways last yr I got 91.72(209)

5. Toughness.. Paper was easy to moderate but VA section was so ambiguous.except a few question there was alw an ambiguity in most of the question.. But had to take risk with elimination technique. Hence I would call VA section moderate to tough.
DI?LR was a perfect mix of easy, moderate and tough(though just 1 or 2) Qs.
QA were based on common sense. Not high Fundoo and not formula based and being a commerce grad..i loved it.

6. Any suggestion/any comment...If prometric conduct CAT as smoothly as they did it this yr and if they become flexible and empathetic towards students (like tey let me in though I was late ) And If I get good percentile ... then they can continue conducting CAT..I have no prob..

A good mock-test series is a must that lets you experience through different type of paper pattern...and less bulky study material that works more on basics and concept... not too much practice...followed by 25-30 MOCKs is goood enough..:-)

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: jaipuria, Noida, morning slot

VA=19, QA =16, LRDI = 16 OA =51

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at
99.7 %

good. The wait was tiring and off putting put no hitches

Nothing.

Get in the groove before actual paper

I found the questions i couldnt attempt in QA quite tough. Indeed some seemed a bit amibiguous. The questions I did were easy to moderate.
For DI it was long but not tough.
VA was average. Passages were short.

I wish all the very best to fellow CAT-takers and future aspirants!!

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Simran Center Merittrac Services Andherei, Mumbai

VA-20, LRDI-16, QA- 12

2) Your last mock score? last cat 95%

Good, except the waiting period of course, now there was lots of waiting at each and every point, this problem should be solved, psychologically we are fired up , ready to give the test, at such moments waiting doesnt do u any good. However the centre was really good, cooperative people, good labs, good computers with lcd displays, I recommend this center to next year students

Nothin . Though I have not given a paper pencil CAT, I can guess the surprise element is really lost in the Online CAT

Get a laptop and sudy on that, it really helps, from past 2 years I've been studying on a computer for both academic and competitive exams. this helps not only for CAT prep but also a host of reasons, books really limit us, also u r always connected to Pagalguy, lol

VA is my strong section so I always find it easy, some options were very close, LRDI was pretty easy too, now quant is my weak point, still i think i have done OK there too, so it must be easy

For next year students: IF your Basics are clear, and u have solved last 10 CAT papers, U will find CAT relatively easy, Best OF LUck!!!!!

My CAT 2010 Experience :

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: Institute of Marjeting and Management, 24/11/2010 , 10a.m slot

English 9
Maths 14
DI 11

Total 35

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...tory-2010.html , please provide the link here.
Aimcats percentile varied from 60-94 percentile with 80 being the mean.
Aimcat 01 - 56 %ile

Mixed.

All thought strategy are of no use..

Give online mocks.

QA- Easy to moderate. There were many sitters. Around 7 I would say. I did 9 questions in first 25 minutes. Then came back to do 5 more questions in 20 minutes.

LR/DI- Moderate. Not easy for sure. 1 question seemed to be wrong in one of the casellet. Attempted 11 in 45 minutes.

English- Moderate(Acc to me). Though may be easy for many. Options were very close. Attempted 9 in 45 minutes. Though could have attempted more. But an accuracy (avg) of around 40% made me attempt very cautiously and very slowly and finally attempted only 9 (:banghead:)questions. This section can hamper my chances of good percentile.

Overall - Moderate. I guess normalisation factor for this slot woyld be 0. A good balanced paper i would say.

I am just hoping for 90-95% accuracy. Else I am gone.

ALL THE BEST for the RESULTS.
AVINASH JHA || Goa Institute of Management || 2011-13 || Admin Head, Cathedral Vidya School, Lonavala
CAT Centre, Date and Slot: jaipuria, Noida, morning slot

VA=20, QA =15-16, LRDI = 15-16 OA =52

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-and-related-discussion/cat-and-related-discussion/cat-and-related-discussion/cat-and-related-discussion/cat-an...tory-2010.html , please provide the link here.
Did not prepare for CAT this year. So no mock scores to mention as I did not join any. scored 96.34 %tile last year in CAT, AIR 521 in JMET, 740 in GMAT

good. prometric staff was very co-operative

Nothing.

develop the habit of reading online, join a good mock series

Verbal was easier than previous year CATs. QA was of the same level. LRDI was tougher. In my set, LR was very tough and DI calculations were simple

This form of CAT does not require any special preparation. I did not prepare for CAT even a single day (though I prepared last year), still I was able to comfortably attempt 52 ques.

Most important advise for future aspirants: try to maintain you mental balance on the test day. This was my third attempt, and the only attempt in which i took the test with the right frame of mind. Anxiety kills half of ur chance of getting a good score.

I was not worried about what would happen today, as i already have the final admission offer from my dream b-school ISB Hyderabad this helped me facing the dreaded CAT with a bold face.

I wish all the very best to fellow CAT-takers and future aspirants!!
CAT Centre, Date and Slot:

gurgaon, sec-14, 24 nov, 10 am

va 18 lr-di 18 qa 18
2) Your last mock score? in the range of 70-95

lr-di - mostly easy .. few questions required lengthy calculations. but this is my strngest area ..so i did good in this ..attempted 18 questions in 55 mins

qa- easy ..plenty f sitters ..cakewalk compared to aimcats ..did 18 in 45 mins..
easy questions from geometry (2),
va - did 18 questions in 35 mins..but not not very good at it.. 1 rc was tough , the 4 qustn one(for me)
overall - easy
definitly one f the easier slots

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us
i am not sure about one lr set with 2 questions ..if enogh data was provided or not ...guys please share if u feel the same .
qa:10 :banghead: di:10:banghead:va:15 oa:35:banghead:

2) Your last mock score?

varied around 80 to 85
smooth . good work by prometric

nothing much

stay calm as ever. hold ur nerve

qa:moderate
no TSD,TW,inequations. mostly arithmatic and algebra type problems filled the paper.
va:moderate and tricky
options were close. i would rate this VA as typical CAT standard one.
di:easy to moderate
easy when compared to few other slots, 2 or 3 questions were tere below every caselet..
overall:moderate paper
i felt i was bit slow and i preffered accuracy over attempts.still i feel 35 is very less.:splat: fingers crossed .

please puys come up with a percentile-scores mapper.
Any post on this thread, not following the format will be deleted.

Hi All,

Wishing everyone best of luck!

People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format.

CAT Centre, Date and Slot:

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...tory-2010.html , please provide the link here.

Any post on this thread, not following the format will be deleted.

Please follow the http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...d-queries.html

Also, a repository of all days' experiences can be found here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...s-threads.html (-Official Experiences threads Repository)

If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post.

Also, incase of any grievances related to missing diagrams/repeated options/incorrect answers please register a complaint with the Prometric candidate helpline at 1-800-103-9293 and also on IIM-CAT Contact Us .

Let this thread be only for the experiences of the test taking junta.

I request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days. Please make sure multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers and best of luck to everyone!

Shashank

Captain, PG Dream Team 2010 | CAT 11 - 100%ile | CET 10 - Rank 1 (211/240) | Co-founder Learningroots