[Official] CAT 2010- 15th Nov - Day Thirteen Discussions

43 Posts  ·  53 Users
About this group
Hi All, Wishing everyone best of luck! People who are taking the CAT exam today, please post in this format. _* CAT Centre, Date and Slot: 1) How many attempts you have made? 2) Your last mock score? If you are there at htt...
Page 1 of 5
Ahh !! Thank goodness ... My answer too was 1:4 and I kept trying that question from all kinds of approaches to get it !!

How do I register a complaint? Just write that so and so question was wrong?

One more query - I didnt mark any option as the answer I was getting wasn't there. However when I came out of the exam hall, I overheard a girl telling her frnd tht in such cases one shud alwayz mark the closest option 😞
Is that so??? I thought it would be better to leave the ques unanswered... Do tell me what is the proper thing to do in such cases????

Click on the link I've given in my previous post, fill up the form, In the subject select "I was not satisfied with my experience on exam day" and describe the questions which you feel were wrong.

Even I didn't mark an option at all.. but no one can tell what the correct thing to do in this situation should be because IIMs maintain that all questions are correct as of now.. If they later find them to be wrong, I don't think it will matter because in that case, as stated by the cat convenor : we will give everybody in that slot an extra point for that question and that will be done psychometrically."

Read the following article for more info : Wrong questions in CAT 2010? CAT convenor sends questions for a thorough check | PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT
CAT2010 99.78 | XAT 2011- 98.99 | AIWTSAC|
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
CAT Centre, Date and Slot:
Periyar Centre, Jasola,
Sarita Vihar, New Delhi.
15th November, 2010, 3:30 PM.

1) How many attempts you have made?
Around 37-38
QA-12
DI-11
VA-14-15

2) Your last mock score?
80 percentile Aimcat 1102.

3) How was your experience of the test?
Afternoon slot didn't have too many surprises except for a couple of incorrect QA questions. Started with DI and after 20 minutes could not attempt a single question, then moved to QA and attempted 12 questions in 30 minutes. Then I quickly got back to DI and attempted 11 there. For me, this section was a bit tougher than the other two even though there were a few 'sitters'. VA was comparable to Aimcats except that one RC was pretty staightforward.

4) What was the surprise element for you?
Two wrong questions and I ended up wasting 10 minutes on them. Prometric has not learnt lessons from last year I guess.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
Use the multiple highlighting feature as mentioned by others. Rest everone can manage.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc.
QA-Moderate
DI-Easy to Moderate to Tough.
VA-Moderate.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us.
Do not waste time in time consuming DI sets as I did. Move on and do whatever you know first. Gud Luck..!!!!
Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes.

Afternoon slot 3.30 pm

VA- 17
QA- 20
LDI- 12
Total- 49

2) Your last mock score?
AIMCAT- 97.6 percentile

Satisfied. but could have done a little better in LDI.

Lengthy LDI... Less questions in each set.

Use the Mark option to good use.. its helpful (for those who never used it in Mock cats)

I found the date interpretation part a bit tough, given the time restraint we have in cat. Selection of the right questions to attempt is important. LR questions were worth a go first. In VA, RCs were not that straight forward and options were close. Other questions threw no surprises in VA. QA was as i expected. As many as 5 questions were from geometry.
VA- moderate to tough
QA- easy to moderate
LDI- Difficult

Keep in mind to focus on all sections equally even if u r lured by one easy section 😃

Cat Centre Date: 15th November, TIT College, Bhopal, 3:30 pm

How many attempts you have made? - QA 12 LDI 12 VA 19 OA- 43
Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1101 - 97.xx, Avg - around 93-94
Link was in my signature but some administrator stole it Here it goes :
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-and-related-discussion/50562-mock-scores-repository-2010-a-19.html#post2174464

How was your experience of the test? Reached the centre at 1 30 pm only to find a huge line in front of the gate. Couple of abysmally lazy people were checking the documents at a sluggish pace and hence the line kept crawling at the rate of about 1 person / 5 mins. I was at the end of the line and got entry into the campus, believe it or not, at 3 pm. Got through the Biometrics and sat on my designated place at around 3 : 15 (Kind of happy that I didn't have to sit in front of a blank screen for too long :clap:)

Test conduct was smooth. No technical glitches and the staff was helpful. They even kept changing pencils for those who needed it without even being prompted.

What was the surprise element for you? Wasnt expecting this level of difficulty , going by what I had read in the thread. DI was too lengthy.
VA (which is my strongest point ) was ambiguous with close options.

Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Nothing. If you have given online AIMCATs of any institute, you'll be just fine.

Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. - Well with almost every slots having its fair share of easy sections , this was a something totally different.

QA: Some easy questions with a fair share of moderate - tough ones. Overal Moderate +

DI : Reasoning questions were easy enough. DI caselets were extremely calculation intensive & tricky .
In DI , there was a set which had three questions , and the data was followed by another whole LR set and it was mistakenly present there coz there was no question related to that set. Didn't attempt that question. Filed a complaint with prometric on this issue. Hope they take note. 3 questions can make or break someone's chances.
OA: Difficult

VA: The RCs were quite lengthy and had close options. FIBs were easy and PJs/ PCs were moderate.
Overall : Easy-Moderate

OA : Initially thought I had screwed up big time but as per the reviews here, I feel this paper was amongst the most difficult ones so far. All hope now rests on the normalization thing. Else .

Couple of points for people who are yet to take the test :
1. Try to get inside the Lab as late as possible to kill the waiting time.
2. Don't click on the screen unnecessarily - the selection area for options is not limited to the button but the text as well. If you click on the text in an option, then also it will get selected.
3. Don't get attached to one question - esp in DI. Try to attempt all the sitters first and then the others.
CAT2010 99.78 | XAT 2011- 98.99 | AIWTSAC|

CAT Centre, Date and Slot: EIILM, Kolkata, Nov 15, 10a.m.

QA: 17 DI: 15 VA: 20 OA: 52

2) Your last mock score? 99.5x (CL Proc 9)

Awesome. World class. It could not have been smoother.

None, actually. There was nothing a serious MBA aspirant would not have seen during preparation.

Knowing how to click a mouse button should suffice.

QA: A lot of seen and solved questions. Very manageable.
DI: In my slot, there were thankfully a lot of LR questions, and very simple at that. I left a set which involved a lot of calculation. A Data set that i attempted, i did not need to solve till last step of calculation. The options weren't that close.
VA: 3 RCs. Moderate, i'd say. Questions on FIB, PJ, PC, finding correct sentences, aaba/ bbaa types- pretty much everything we have done in mocks.

Get into the hall without any preconceived notions and all will be well :)

I'd just like to say, all the best.

Cat Centre Date: 15th November, Thakur College of Science of Commerce,Mumbai , 3:30 p.m. Slot

How many attempts you have made? - OA - 47; QA - 16, VA - 17, DI - 14

Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1101 - 95.xx; varied from 80 - 98 across others..!!
Average 90+

How was your experience of the test? No glitches. Very similar to the AIMCAT interface.The authorities did not manage it well though as a CA exam was also scheduled on the same day and there was a lot of chaos.

What was the surprise element for you? Wasnt expecting this level of difficulty , going by what I had read in the thread.

Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Jus try to relax as much as possible during the time you are made to sit infront of the monitor.

Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. - Well with almost every slots having its fair share of easy sections , this was a something totally different.

QA: Some easy questions with lots o speed breakers interspersed. The key would be to run through the entire section , spot the sitters and then target a few toughies. Overal Moderate +
Atleast one ques had incorrect answer options.

DI : Luckily for me i got all the easy reasoning questions early on in the section. Again one question had incorrect options !!. The last two caselets were the core of this section. One was extremely calculation intensive and the other was very tricky. It was loaded with irrelevant data, and needed a calm mind.
I gave it a few mins but could make no head or tail out of it and thus left it.
OA: Difficult

VA: The EU part (PCs,PJs,FIBs etc) was quite easy, the RCs were quite lengthy and had close options. I made a mistake of not looking at the ques and went for a lengthy passage only to realise it had jus 2 ques :((
Overall : Easy-Moderate

OA : This paper was amongst the most difficult ones ( as per the reviews) and hopefully normalization would bail me out , else its curtains 😞
CAT Centre: Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida
Date : 15.11.10
Slot: 3:30Pm

1) How many attempts you have made? QA:16, VA:16, DI: 14, OA: 46

2) Your last mock score? If you are there at http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...tory-2010.html , please provide the link here.
Last aimcat score was 94.xx

Smooth. Centre staff took too long to check us in. Good thing was , it reduced our waiting time. Seats were too closely spaced. We were crampped inside our cubicles and could almost peep over our neighbour's screen. Extra sheets for rough were not given in our centre too.

None. Test exp was more or less like last yr.

Highly recommended to have given a few computer based tests beforehand. Those who took test series will find no difference between those tests and cat. Most importantly, dont stick to any question for too long. keep moving on come what may. Belive me, if u make sure u scan the whole paper in time u r more likely to spot the sitters, as they'll be camoflaged enough, not to be spotted immediately.

QUANT: Comparitively very easy. Loads of sitters. A rare few difficult ques.
VERBAL: Moderate. Only section where there was no error in any of the answer option or the question language.
DI/LR: The most capricious of all sections. A few questions , the language of the question was difficult to comprehend and you needed to make certain assumptions in order to attempt em. One DI set had irrelevant data in the end and appeared confusing and so i left it. Overall moderate to difficult.

None
PGP Class of 2013 IIM Ahmedabad

Not mentioning any specifics about the exam!

Cat Centre Date: 15th November, Thakur college of Science and Commerce-Kandivali, Mumbai, 3:30 p.m. Slot

How many attempts you have made?
Blank. Please avoid any pre-conceived notion!

Your last mock score? If you are there at http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-an...tory-2010.html , please provide the link here.
Not updated on PG. Used to vary between 85 to 95 %ile in Aimcats and CL mocks.

How was your experience of the test?
Excellent except for the 1 hr wait before the exam.

What was the surprise element for you?
Nothing. If you go without any pre-conceived notion you wont be surprised

Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?
Once you are at your testing station just make yourself comfortable and be happy!!

Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. -
As I said please don't have a pre-conceived notion about the exam and to avoid that not presenting any analysis. Anyway it varies from person to person

Any other query or something you would like to share with us. -
One girl from my center just had an eye surgery and thus was required to have some drops put in her eye every two hours. Since we are at out testing station (PC) 1 hr ahead of exam, which is for 2:15 hrs, she wanted to carry the drops along with her in the center. The proctors were not ready to allow that. I think they eventually did allow her to carry the drops but it would be better if you carry a medical certificate or at least a prescription along with you for the exam (that's what the proctor suggested)

For those who are not from Mumbai but have the test center in Mumbai, remember to drink lots of water while travelling (especially if you have an afternoon slot and are travelling by locals) Otherwise the extreme humidity takes a toll. Remember to visit the washroom half an hour before the exam starts (to drain all the excess liquid or anything else that might bother you ) so that you are not uncomfortable during the exam (Along with yourself you might make your neighbour uncomfortable as well with your continuous movement)

ALL THE BEST GUYS. Have a good Mock!!

10 AM Slot
Indo-global college chandigarh

QA--- 11-12
DI --- 12
VA---20
OA--- 43-44

2) Your last mock score?

Smooth

quant was easier than i thought.. but i could have attempted 3-4 more had i allocated my time in a better way..

go through the tutorial

wasn't tough.. rather on the easier to moderate side..

verbal is my strong point.. so i chose to do that first. had some close options pj's were easy.. idiomatic usage was decent.. sentence correction was doable..RC's were moderate to easy .. and i was done with it in 40 mins.

Then.. i chose to do DI.. which was lengthy but doable.. so was tempting me to spend more time on each caselet... the issue was each caselet had max 2 questions.. so it ate up my time and the lengthy calculations din't help too.

with about 30 mins remaining i came to the quant section so couldn't attempt more than 11-12 questions..i spotted around 6-7 sitters 😃 yay!

overall... more than anything.. the restlessness is gone .. which was there since 2 weeks :)

7) Any other query or something you would like to share with us:
---------

Cat Centre Date: 15th November, Asia Pacific Institute of Management, 3:30 p.m. Slot

How many attempts you have made? - OA - 47; QA - 15, VA - 17, DI - 14/15

Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1102 - 91.xx; varied from 80 - 99 across others..!!

How was your experience of the test? Good; If you've given mocks and accustomed yourself to strategies and methodology on how to proceed, it would seem pretty easy; No Glitches

What was the surprise element for you? I felt there was a complete reversal in the exam trend (as explained in following questions)

Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Please make sure your monitors have appropriate brightness, mine was a bit dark in appearance and i took assistance to make sure that i don't strain my eyes too much..!!;

Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, sections etc. - Earlier slots had Ambiguous VA, Lengthy but easy DI and Easy QA; This slot was Easy VA, Lengthy and moderate/difficult DI, Moderate/Difficult QA.. so DON'T GO WITH A PRE-CONCIEVED NOTION..

In detail

QA : Although, I'm good in Quant and cleared cut-off in all AIMCATs, but i found it to be of moderate level; I know it's cliched but, for those Quant-Amorous puys, don't fall in love with a question or take it on your ego, look for sitters, they were disguised but could be deciphered; Found 4-5 disguised sitters; One sureshot incorrect question

VA : Although my weakest link, I must admit, VA was easy, not too ambiguous.. Vocab part was general, word-power-made-easy-level.. 3 RCs - 4qs, 3qs, 2qs - left the 2 qs. one.. 4 qs. RC was moderate level.. 3 qs. was easy-moderate; Rest of Verbal was moderate-easy level with a mix of Sentence Correction, PJ, Homonyms, FIB, Para Completion, Word usage

DI : Again, a very similar story to Quant, I'm good at it.. but found it to be moderate level.. 4 sets of 3 qs. each - 2 DI & 2 Reasoning based; Reasoning part was pretty much easy but DI was confusing and was cluttered with waste data.. 12+ attempts with sound accuracy would've been good..

Any other query or something you would like to share with us. - Also, as u can see from the aforesaid posts, the no. of attempts are comparitively less : avg. around 40-45 qs, so don't remind yourself during the exam that you've to attempt 50+, 55+,et al.. (I thank Doc for that wonderful article)

Also, we weren't given extra pads and didn't hv the replacement option either.. Better clarify this with the prometric staff and then use the pad cautiously or freely..

When the clock struck 3:00, the guy next to me asked if he could go to the washroom, he was firmly denied; poor guy, I still remember the look on his face..!! Very much similar to at 3:30.. By 6:00, ..!!

ALL THE VERY BEST..!!

Mods : Any breach of NDA, please notify by PM.. will correct ASAP..!!