Of edited posts, of locked threads, of frayed tempers, of friends lost, of foes made, of modding PaGaLGuY.com!!!

56 Posts  ·  35 Users
About this group
aaah.....'tis been a real long time since i've started any thread :: :: so here goes what i could make out of modding India's most vibrant community over the past 15odd months...... simply put, it has been a REAL eye-opener......in ways m...
Page 1 of 6
hey mahip boss, (of ma-hips dot lie fame) (kill the poor joke corner not me ),
the words you said above can only come through true experience.

But one question remains, what do you do when friends turn perpetrators, when you have to meet them offline and explain why you did something what you had to. Is one supposed to let such friends go or does one stand his ground for the action taken.

I know ther has to be a boundary for the above, and i want to know how you decide this boundary. Thanks for making and keeping pg as it is. by the way i found a site called management paradise which looked like a true copy of this site, except without the members and the participation pg enjoys.

There are two parts - Mahip as a user and Mahip as a Moderator.

I might not like some post if I see it as a moderator, which I would do looking at a community as whole where a newbie, certified pagal, anyone would read a post and might not like it. Suppose if I snip that post and inform the user about the same. The user might be my old friend on the forum or a newbie. He/She would feel offended straight away; how can anybody snip a post where his/her intention might not have been to create some issue. But then as a moderator I was correct and the user needs to understand that. I might like the above snipped post as a user Mahip, but for a whole community it might be distasteful.. hence it has to be treated differently. There is a very thin line between this which one can undetstand only by experience.

Now if that user meets me offline and asks for explaination, I would give the same reasoning. We generally do discuss and give explainations on PMs as well. And then if the user is still not satisfied he can ask some other mods to look into the matter. That's the only way out. Yah, in the process we make many so-called enemies, but all that is very temporary. It fades out of the memory in some months.

Abt management paradise and its looks, well I would say that the template on which PG frontend is made is freely available on the net and anyone can use it and make a ditto looking site. Its an open source world. But the real community is made by the members, not by some technology. And FYI the creator of management paradise was one of the old active members of this community.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hey mahip boss, (of ma-hips dot lie fame) (kill the poor joke corner not me ),
the words you said above can only come through true experience.

But one question remains, what do you do when friends turn perpetrators, when you have to meet them offline and explain why you did something what you had to. Is one supposed to let such friends go or does one stand his ground for the action taken.

I know ther has to be a boundary for the above, and i want to know how you decide this boundary. Thanks for making and keeping pg as it is. by the way i found a site called management paradise which looked like a true copy of this site, except without the members and the participation pg enjoys.

Mahip Says
A green mod doesnt have all accesses which a Blue Mod has, a green mod can't search for IP addresses nor he can ban members. So many times, I was in a tight spot when I was the only online mod and someone was posting ad links on some different section. I could only warn him, neither ban, nor lock the thread. Many users PMed me, "What a useless mod, why can't you lock the thread instead of warning"

thank you!

at least someone can understand what i'm going through right now!

Modding on PaGaLGuY.com is an amazing experience, one gets to learn so many things that it can't be expressed in words. People Management Skills can't be deveoped in a better way I say.

I was never keen on becoming a mod, nor I had any intention when I joined PG in Sep 2005. I was just another confused person opening threads without searching and spamming all around the forum I also made some 6-7 clones, if not less :biggrin: But it was all fun part we used to do on SB with a gang of 8-10 oldies. But within few months, I realized that all these acts were not good for the comunity and it also makes other members at ease to do the same.

Anyway, my first major act was the PaGaLGuY.com Dinner Meet which I organized at Khar where I had a chance to meet Apurv, gnrs, Monil, puneet, denish and many others. It was real enlightenment then to know details about the community.

I came to know that MavericK was also working in TCS, so I searched him on the intranet and got his ID. This is the first conversation we had:

Anil Gorti: Hi
Mahip Vyas: Hi Maverick
Mahip Vyas:
Anil Gorti:
Anil Gorti: I dint know your name was Mahip
Mahip Vyas: :)
Mahip Vyas: so you have been associated to pagalguy from a loong time!!
Anil Gorti: Hmmm.. unfortunately yes

I discussed a lot about the forum, its history, about modding with him on the messenger and it was real hands-on training. Now don't say that we people were not working in TCS, we really worked very very hard to get a decent rating.

All this went on and I increased by daily surfing time on the forum to some 6-7 hrs a day and may be all this prompted PG HQ to make me a sectional mod.

Its a different experience once you become a mod, people start looking at you differently. You feel a sense of power and also get the responsibility of doing your tasks. I managed pretty well. A green mod doesnt have all accesses which a Blue Mod has, a green mod can't search for IP addresses nor he can ban members. So many times, I was in a tight spot when I was the only online mod and someone was posting ad links on some different section. I could only warn him, neither ban, nor lock the thread. Many users PMed me, "What a useless mod, why can't you lock the thread instead of warning" But it was always difficult to explain so many members.

The TCS messenger was a great help to catch MavericK online anytime, but then there came one more common messenger between us - The GE Sametime messenger. I used to take MavericK's help in searching IP addresses and banning members.. One small chat can be seen here:

Mahip Vyas/Healthcare/GeneralElectric Hi Anil
Anil Gorti/Energy/GeneralElectric Hey boss!
Mahip Vyas/Healthcare/GeneralElectric One PGite "" is very irritating on SB... details pata chal sakte hai kya ?
Anil Gorti/Energy/GeneralElectric Yeah sure
Mahip Vyas/Healthcare/GeneralElectric okay .. thanks
Anil Gorti/Energy/GeneralElectric Guess who shares the IP ;)
Mahip Vyas/Healthcare/GeneralElectric kaun !!
Anil Gorti/Energy/GeneralElectric

Mahip Vyas/Healthcare/GeneralElectric oh yeh duplicates
Anil Gorti/Energy/GeneralElectric 😛 clone
Mahip Vyas/Healthcare/GeneralElectric Ban kar do

Monil and other mods also helped me very much in learning things out here. And I was always associated closely with the PG HQ folks, be it Bday Week Planning, Tee Shirt Selling or any other activity. The only mod I havent met are Akshat, Chandoo and Simba. Hopefully shall meet SRK in AIPGM.

We all have healthy discussions amongst oursleves in working out on the guidelines and changes required each season. We also ponder upon frequently on selection of new mods and many other user related issues. It's real fun when in some threads the tempers are running so high that users start spamming and even mods interference is unable to help it. And when mods take strict action, we see many threads like "Biased nautre of Mods" etc etc. Modding teaches you how to talk to people and convince them with your thoughts in public whom you don't even know and most probably would never meet in your lifetime. The trust which members show towards the mod and other members is really heartening. But this trust should not come because of the fear of the mods, but as an experienced user. Mods are users first, modding activity comes later.

I don't know what have I written here, and it's surely a khichdi of all ideas. But let it be.
I'll come up with more experiences soon.

Cheers!

My my...

What a thread... what a find from the ole' PG archives...

What an insight into modding itself, I say...

Worth reading by a lot of people today. I would also like to hear what mods today have to say about their feelings...

I must say, awesome thread, again. Truly bump-worthy, I say.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Boy, Wayne, you sure command some respect and love from fellow members
Good work :)

~C~

You Betcha!!!!!!!!!!!

But since then, I've had a newfound respect for all mods, especially Wayne

Boy, Wayne, you sure command some respect and love from fellow members
Good work :)

~C~

i am a fairly new member, not by the time of registration, but by my posts.
since ev is putting their words in, thot that i'd contribute too. my 2 posts have all been given the nod by the mods, so till now they were kinda transparent to me. but seeing this thread, i feel their presence in making this thing work, where each one is given importance.
i have 99.16 percentile in cat '04, and with a fairly good gd/pi, i did not get selected in mdi. so gave a small post. and it was noticed!!!!!!!!:)
well this place rocks. never seen this kind of energy. have got thru nitie, and will dedicate my time to this place so that others also benefit the way i did.
thanks a ton.

cya

hey guys.....

just to begin with.....

i dont know why i have a feeling of being a non contributor here.....

i feel that i am the least qualified (in terms of posts) to post here.......

anywyas to begin my so called story......

i also happen to be a big-time wayne fan..... it all began about a couple of months back when i was upset with something regarding one of the coaching institutes at coimbatore ( my place) ..... so before starting a thread i happened to get in touch with Wayne(he was the only mod at that time on the forum) and get his opinion on the topic as it could become very controversial......... and so after a couple of Pms Wayne told me to come to yahoo messenger if possible.... and we had a seriously long conversation discussing the pros and cons and the various alternatives that were present to me regarding that situation..... so after digging into the matter deeply Wayne went on to give me the assurance that "Rahul if u are comfortable u start the thread, i shall talk to the other mods and see to it that the thread is not locked" ( I was happy that he understood my problem and my concern too). But it was only later that i made up my mind not to put up that thread as i did not want to create a bad impression abt any institute and change the perception of thousands of its students who could be its students...... So Thanks WAyne for teh support.....

Yet another incident. happened only yesterday or day before (Gawd i am forgetting even the basics) this was in concern with an iift result thread........ PG had come out with a strict set of rules regarding posting of links to teh website(i fully respect you and the forum PG) 😃 and so i was slightly hesitant to put up a new thread for fear of being banned..... but i knew i had confiermed reports that the results were out just a couple of minutes back as it was confirmed thru yahoo messenger by one of the present students there........ so i once again sent a PM to Wayne and Pg( HAvent recd a reply to that although ) and the result was Wayne coming back with a Pm saying the same old thingie " go ahead and start the thread if u are sure of the results" i will convince the rest of teh mods not to lock them.... well i loved the confidence that this man showed in a relative n00b over here......

Bow to You Wayne.....

Rahul

P.S.1 sorry for the long post.....

P.S.2 thought ill discuss Wayne as this is where the discussion stopped

P.S.3 gr8 work mods although havent had any gr8 interaction with any other mod as i had with Apna Wayne....

My first amna-samna with a mod was with Wayne, when he came and sternly warned a few of us spamming the SIBM results thread. I found his warning a bit out-of-place back then, but now I understand what he was getting at, considering the results weren't even declared yet!!

Also, the first time I saw Wayne's post, his avatar kind of instilled a feeling of fear and dread in me, I dont know why, just that I found that pic spooky, coupled with his authoratative tone. Since then, I've PM'd him a couple of times regarding misleading threads, Out-of-Control Users etc., and to my delight, he's always acted on my messages, immediately. That's what I call "On Demand Business"!!!!

Cheers!!

All i can is Thanks

ROFL Watta post !!! Wayne must still be shrugging his shoulders with a question mark on his face 😉 Watsay Wayne bhai...... If i were to name THE most softest mod around here, then Wayne would win the contest hands-down.... :)

Rather than shrugging shoulders ....I had a huge grin on my face when I first read Vineet's post ......... Finally someone called me stern and authoritative .....Vish/Inkognito/Anil ....hope you guys are reading this

Cheers to wayne .. the mod with his own fan club

LOL, absolutely... Wayne is the sweetest guy around the place.. great to see his fans.. Wayne bhai.. kaha ho tum???????

Simba

Guess I'm due a post on this thread as well .........Will put up one pretty soon ......Still have a long way to go to reach 1000 though

Cheers,

Wayne

PS:@Vineet ....I'll do something about the avatar