Oct-2011 GMAT takers

35 Posts  ·  14 Users
About this group
Hi All, I am starting this thread for the discussion of the people who are taking GMAT in OCT 2011. ;) We can share questions :: , strategies :: and experience of the people who have taken GMAT recently.... :: So please pour in all...
Page 1 of 4

Before 10 days i would suggest retaking the 2 gmat prep exams.

I had a tough time sleeping on the day before the exam since i was revising most of the stuff i studied. It is rightly said that watching a funny movie or going out before the exam is a good way to relax!

Regarding AWA template do have a look at the link: Argument essay template, if anyone wants it

Also I recollect giving lot of current business related examples in AWA like HP changing CEO 3 times over a period of 5 years etc.

Time-question chart is a simple chart giving an idea about which question should you be as per the time remaining.

For quant:
when time remaining is 60 mins, you should be at question 7 or 8
when time remaining is 55 mins, you should be at question 11
when time remaining is 45 mins, you should be at question 14 or 15
when time remaining is 35 mins, you should be at question 21
when time remaining is 30 mins, you should be at question 21 or 22
when time remaining is 15 mins, you should be at question 28 or 29

For verbal:
when time remaining is 60 mins, you should be at question between 8 and 10
when time remaining is 57 mins, you should be at question 11
when time remaining is 45 mins, you should be at question between 16 and 18
when time remaining is 38 mins, you should be at question 21
when time remaining is 30 mins, you should be at question between 24 and 26
when time remaining is 19 mins, you should be at question 31
when time remaining is 15 mins, you should be at question between 32 and 34.

It also helps to keep track of the numbers of RCs attempted, GMAT will never have more than 4 RCs. So it is fine if you are behind the questions in the time chart if you have completed all RCs since RCs cause a little lag in the time chart above.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

thanks john, can u please share the template for AWA....
And what was your time-question chart startegy...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks John !! Could u pls tell the strategy before 10 days of actual exam that wud help scoring beyond 700...Pls provide the topics and strategy for AWA as well.... 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

it is possible to get exam dates even within one week from current date. The only challenge i can see is practicing at the time on which the gmat is scheduled. I had a fair idea that i wanted to give the gmat at 9:00 am or 10:00 am and was giving my practice tests around that time.

Given my score of 760 one strategy that helped was a time-question chart for quant and verbal. Other strategy was a basic template for AWA. I will post my debrief soon.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

The test was a real challenge in the verbal part. It is essential that you pace yourself well. The CR questions were really challenging and took some time to comprehend.

Lessons learned:
Always practise with a stop watch.
Do not spend more than 3 minutes on any questions.
Take at least 5 full length practise tests (including AWA)

Regards,

Xam

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey.. is there a possibility that i get an appointment now if i want to take gmat this october '2011??

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Well for SC u r way too late then..Manhattan SC review books jss covers up everythin u need to learn...my strategy for SC is find d subject and then the verb and see if it matches if yes then check rest of the things like modifiers and stuff or parallelism..U shud hv gone thru all that stuff probably its too late but..Jss go thru general rules that mite help u...And 34 Q is still a pity low score..Atleast try to reach 40 or something..Cant help u on quant though I've always been good @ quant so I score around 50 51..so my strategy is solve em as they come..dats it..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My Split score was around 34 Q and 27 VB. Though Q is strong for me i do mistake in DC and after practicing also i am not able to get rid of it. In Verbal i am not at all scoring well in SC with accuracy low as 25 % and RC and LR have accuracy more that 85 %.:shocked:

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@PratM: how many mock tests have u given so far?? Also could you tel me ur split score...So far I have given around 10 mock tests..my score has been hovering around 700..With hardly 15 days left jss work around ur strength dun think u've enuf time to work on ur weakness..I hope by now u must have figured out ur strength's and weakness's....U need to work on ur test taking strategy also..for eg.. for Verbal my RC is my nemesis..Considering this I try to get thru the passage as quickly as possible and allot more time to CR and SC so maximize my score...with hardly 50-60% accuracy in RC I have been to score around 34 35 in Verbal.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi all, i taking my GMAT on 19th Oct and still not fully preapred due to work load and even i dont have an option to extend my appointment. Earlier when i gave mock wothout any preparation i got score upto 660 and no when after preparing when i gave to mock (1 prep and 1 barrons) my score was low as 550 and 580.:shocked: Now even time is so less that i wont be able to prepare any new things. So would like to have suggestionn remainng two how should i go take GMAT and maximze my score....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...