NYU Stern

34 Posts  ·  30 Users
About this group
Hi 1\. Is there anyone for NYU Stern. I got an interview invite from stern last week. Since I am based in India I have opted for offsite interview in Mumbai, which will be held in March. 2\. Got admitted in ISB with tuition waiver. How ...
Page 1 of 4

I got 61% in 10th, 77% in 12th and 68% in graduation. Can I get admission for MBA in NYU if I get Good score in GMAT? I have done 1 month internship too.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Anyone applying to Stern for the 2016 intake?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@crypticbird

Hi 1. Is there anyone for NYU Stern. I got an interview invite from stern last week. Since I am based in India I have opted for offsite interview in Mumbai, which will be held in March. 2. Got admitted in ISB with tuition waiver. How would you rate ISB vis a vis Stern. 3. Any comments about Scholarships/financing for MBA would be welcome. Any comments would be appreciated. PS: I am and Indian applicant with GMAT:770 :average GPA : Work-Ex-5 years - IT Consultancy. thanks! _________________________________http://bbirds.blogspot.com/

I have a GMAT score of 730 and a GPA of 8.21/10.

I have been working for an Tata Consultancy Services for 3 yrs.

Is my profile good enuf for NYU. I will appreciate ur time and comments.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi

i've been a silent watcher on this forum for a while now. this is my first post, thought someone from new york should give you a perspective. Although my mba is still a good 3-4 yrs away, i've been doing research over it for some time now.

U can't Stern with ISB. ISB is still coming up.Stern may not be up in the rankings but it can match the best b school in terms of placement in finance.Being in downtown manhataan so close to wall street certainly helps. I know a lot of people here in America who go to Stern leaving better schools just beacuse of its location.

My advice to anyone who's going to Stern or Columbia, stay in Manhattan. Newport is a lovely place full of young professionals, but u can't compare it with Manahattan. Living in the city in NYU housing will give u so much more a chance of doing ur "networking", which is how things work here in US.U just might meet big shots from Wall Street in the pubs of the Village.If you are going to spend so much to study in one of the most expensive cities in the world, why not spend a little more.

Future investment bankers, there might not be a better place for you to study and stay.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey guys...

Feeling a lil bit overwhelmed in the presence of pple who've gotten into such premier B-Schools.

I want to emulate u guys...but want to do some research to begin with.

Do lemme know which are the best B-Schools for a career in Finance. I was under the impression that Stern and Columbia are good schools, given they are located in the Heart of New York.

All sites which rate schools are pretty erratic, so where do i get any kinda concrete info reagrding which school is best.

Do help me plzz....:

chao

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks Senapati

Congrats on your admits. They are Super Fantafabulous. I haven't decided where I would be going yet so just .. as they say testing the waters here. I am waiting for Wharton result. I havcent submitted Stanford app yet but might just give it a shot. That said, I could certainly use your help.

Thanks and best wishes
K

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Keyser
I have applied to W in R2. No updates on that yet. I am thinking of applying to S in R3 or in Columbia. Does stan admit international students in R3.
http://bbirds.blogspot.com

Hi crypticbird
Congrats on admit to NYU n ISB. Where r u heading?
Did u apply to Stan in R3? Had interview? Do let me know about your Stan result?
That said getting into R3 will be difficult, but I dunno ur profile.

I am an Indian who got into Stanford this fall applying in R1. If you have any questions feel free to ask. (I cannot tell u much about NYU though, didn't apply there)

Senapati
Stanford 2006 Admit
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks HP !

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

[quote=crypticbird
What I am worried about is the rest of the funding.

1. Can someone throw some light on the schols for international students and how people manage there.

2. How is the environment/support for families within the campus.

Hey, I visited NYU last week (applying only in Sep 06). No university can beat its location. And if ur lookin for IB then u don't have to think twice when u choose NYU over ISB.

One worry thing is finance out there. Met the some people in the finaning department and could not figure out ways to get more than $40K thru loans (from citi). Of course unless u have a US co-signr. So for stay expenses u will have to look at personal sources or Indian banks.

Finance surely worries if ur staying in NY and that too with a family. Shld be cheaper if u stay in new jersey i feel. quite a lot of students whom i spoke to do that. Also i was said that in the second year a decent amt of expenses can be covered thru summer intern and part-time work though dunno how much? But if u can pull out 15lacs loan from some Indian bank, u shld be done with that worry.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

And Chimni also meant that I am not a consultant :)...I guess in some cases paid consultancy can add value..if you are extremely busy to do any research and can't write sensible stuff on your own as your mind is mostly spinning with work/ personal issues...consultants in US can offer some insider information and often know what they are talking about. I personally believe that an average Indian applicant applies to top US B-schools with a lot of information deficit so that puts him back in the race a few notches..if you can afford an admission consultant to jump a few notches that could make or break your application at a top B-school.

Please remember though that they price their services at the developed market prices while you would be paying for it with a currency which has been battered by too many economic crises. ROI of admission consultants is a very personal thing and you could speak to them free of charge before you decide in anyone's favor after you develop a personal wavelength.
Apart from the infamous Sanford(Sandy) you also have;
Alex Brown( from Wharton) on Clear Admit board,
ex-HBS adcom with admission consultants,
Linda Abraham (Ask Linda fame) from UCLA & well versed with a few top european schools,
Alex Chu (ask MBAApply) whose posts on post MBA career choices also make sense(atleast while I have very few other sources to compare the comments with),
and a few more like Stacy Blackman, Toby (Brody Admissions) and many more.

I don't think consultants in India can really make a lot of tangible difference to your application apart from basic essay writing which I believe you should do on your own.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...